The Leap of Faith Music Thread
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 21
Lately I have been in the habit of purchasing CD's based mostly on packaging...if the cover catches my eye, I will give it a try. This led me to buy:

Chiodos_Al_Alls_Well_That_Ends_Well.jpg

...which I didn't like, and:

fleetfoxes-fleetfoxes2.jpg

...which was a very nice surprise.

ADDED: In fact, I would encourage everyone to purchase at least one new CD by a current artist each time you go out to buy music...let's let the record industry know we want to support new talent AND keep physical formats alive so we can have sources for lossless encodes.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 21
Last album I picked up (and I mean that literally, samples come into my newspaper) was by a band called Calexico. Never heard of them before, but I must say I enjoyed it on the first listen and subsequent listens. I then read a little about them on the web, and they seem to have a following which is reassuring as i thought "Hm, this band seem to have the "sound" down to make it. Normally thought I don't buy anymore until I've heard a group. I bought too many cds in my youth on a leap of faith that I didn't like and that got way to costly over the years. Now, of course, its much easier to hear samples of an album. way back when, 70s-80s you kinda just took a shot at an album based on singles, which paid off about a third of the time.

Oh, congrats on 10,000 (yikes) posts. Your now my favorite poster on headfi, I like your insight, attitude, honesty and tastes. Keep 'em on coming, whenever I want to read past the *********, I look to see if you've chimed in on a thread!

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Our local store has been selling CDs for a $1 recently. Hardly a leap of faith for a $1, but I'll buy anything that is from a independent label that is likely not to be hardcore, emo, or metal. I have bought over 150 CDs in the last few weeks. Today I bought another 20. I check every few days as the bin gets added to regularly.

Today I took a chance on Kim Barlow's Lucky Burden and Susheela Raman's Music for Crocodiles (on Virgin), Ozma's Rock and Roll part 3, Simple's Tied to Things, The Letters Organise's Dead Rhythm Machine as well as grabbing 2 Janis Ian albums and a Fairport Convention reissue amongst other stuff.

I have heard some interesting music, like Girls under Glass, LaSalle and Little Boy from the Wood since I started my bargain bin buying, but most is still unlistened to as I have yet to rip it and tranfer to my iPod. Some I will undoubtably delete after a few (or even 1) listens.

Normally when i buy, i check review sites like Allmusic, Metacritic, Pitchfork or listen on Myspace etc , when i see something that looks interesting so generally have a fair idea of its quality.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 21
I recently bought Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on vinyl and Nirvana Unplugged on CD without having ever heard either. I'm really pleased with both, and especially with the vinyl quality of the Wilco album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back