The LCDuino-1 I/O processor
Sep 29, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #46 of 403
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that chip, while not expensive, has a TINY lead pitch ;( I have an unsoldered brand new chip and board here (a lady ada board) and I have not had the courage to attempt soldering this by hand, yet.

You're right it's not the easiest chip to solder, but probably not any harder than the γ dacs. I just thing that with modular design it makes sense to allow for easy programming. Either way I'm sure you guys will make a great DIY project that I will follow closely.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #47 of 403
the y1 and y2 don't have chips this dense, do they? the bantam dac does, though. or maybe the bantam chip is even easier.

there's just NO WAY I'd want users even TRYING to hand solder the ftdi chip.

for $20, its not worth it. more than $20 in frustration would be created in trying to 'save' money on this.

in the PIC world, chip programmers tend to be $35 and up. $20 to program a chip isn't all that bad, comparatively
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #48 of 403
Quote:

you could start with a 'worked out board and software', pick it apart, play with it, learn how it works and then create your own.

I often find that starting with a known working system is a huge help in getting past the learning curve.

That's true... the only reason I wouldn't go with your board is because I was thinking about getting one of the Arduino boards with 50+ i/o pins so that I wouldn't have to think as hard kludging everything together.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done a bit with BASIC Stamp and liked the microcontroller concept and stuff you could do but didn't like the chip itself or the programming environment. Arduino looks a lot better. This is very exciting. I'm tempted to try to join the prototype team, but I'm a ways off of actually building my preamp. I'll have to think about it. Nevertheless, it's very exciting, and congratulations to you both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #49 of 403
I did some basic stamp work, too; and it was fun and a rich environment with lots of internet examples out there. but the chips were TOO expensive and that just totally turned me off.

the mega arduino boards look interesting with all their pins. for a very complex task, they might be the right thing to use.

otoh, its not the common pinout or 'pin mapping' and so if you write code *assuming* the mega chip, then it won't run on the more common chips.

also, the mega chip is only surface mount, isn't it?

as a pre-made board its fine; but as DIY, it sounds impractical.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #50 of 403
Quote:

otoh, its not the common pinout or 'pin mapping' and so if you write code *assuming* the mega chip, then it won't run on the more common chips.

also, the mega chip is only surface mount, isn't it?

as a pre-made board its fine; but as DIY, it sounds impractical.

I did not realize the pin mapping was different, although I guess it makes sense. I was just going to buy a board rather than put one together.

I imagine I'll end up with an LCDuino-1 at some point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 403
if it was not for me working on building my first heaphone amp i would be all for being a member of the development team. maybe ill get in on one of the next parts for it.

-Lybbert

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #54 of 403
I always thought a DIY audio project, like the M3 or y1, should be brought out as a Make project, this goes the other way around but still brings those communities together. This is excellent.

While volume and source indication is nice, showing data that is otherwise hidden would be even nicer. I am thinking of bit rate display in particular. Would it be possible to add that to a y2?

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #57 of 403
Quote:

the y1 and y2 don't have chips this dense, do they?

Sure they do - FT232RL on the y2 board
smily_headphones1.gif
(not actually soldered, mind you):
FT232RL.jpg

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #58 of 403
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Nordberg
While volume and source indication is nice, showing data that is otherwise hidden would be even nicer. I am thinking of bit rate display in particular. Would it be possible to add that to a y2?

There is nothing on the y2 to provide this information. You'd have to come up with additional logic (probably snooping on the pre-ASRC I²S master clock and dividing that down).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraHz
Sure they do - FT232RL on the y2 board
smily_headphones1.gif
(not actually soldered, mind you):

Yup, they are both SSOP28, but we actually went out of our way to avoid SMD on the LCDuino-1 because through-hole alternatives exist, and would make the board appeal to a wider audience. Other FTDI USB -> RS232 converter boards are available, so there is no reason for us to re-invent the wheel and use up board space. As linuxworks already pointed out, not everyone needs it (IME, if we do everything right, most audio people who would use LCDuino-1 won't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back