The last Moth...
Feb 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

a decent SET amp would not have any hum issue.

I'm no amp designer but have had some conversations with Craig about this. Ideally you would have no hum at all but that can be difficult to achieve. With transformers and tubes in close proximity some small amount of hum may be inevitable. It should not, however, intrude on the music at all. If you only notice a little hum when no music is playing then I wouldn't worry about it. This is the reason Craig has moved the primary transformer out of the main chassis in his latest 2A3 amps. My first Si2A3 amp had a very slight hum, only noticable with headphones when no music was playing. It never bothered me and I would not have minded if the new amp I ordered sounded the same.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 17
Kentamcolin,

Thanks for the info. The hum can only be heard when there's no music playing. So it's not that big of a deal, but for an amp retailing at $1200, I would expect that they would have eliminated this issue. (But again, this amp was supposed to be an integrated SET amp for speakers which just happened to have a headphone jack, so I guess $1,200 is not that expensive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back