The last Moth...
Jan 24, 2006 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
...and I claimed it today. Craig has one Moth chassis left and it will be built as a Moth Si2A3/45H. Delivery should be around March 1st. In the meantime I'll be combing the net for some good 2A3 & 45 tubes.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 17
Lucky you!
icon10.gif
And Congrats!

I've got an Eddie Current EC2A3 (branded Moth Audio) and recently purchased a matched pair of Emission Labs 2A3s. To say the least, I am very impressed and pleased with these tubes. I bought them from AMR [A Music Resource] in Wisconsin.

Jan 24, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 17
That is awesome. You've jumped back into the Moth fold. If I remember correctly, way back when you had a Si2A3 (or something like that). I've said it a number of times, I regretted selling my 2A3.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 17
Yes, I had a Moth Si2A3 and regretted selling it. I had my reasons back then though so it worked out OK. This time it was a matter of either getting the new Moth or some new parts for my Ducati, and I finally figured that although I love the Duc, realistically I won't have it more than 4 or 5 years before I trade for a new one, and the Moth will last for decades. If for whatever reason I ever do need to sell it, as I found out last time it holds all it's value. I'm looking forward to experimenting with some 45's as well.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
...and I claimed it today. Craig has one Moth chassis left

So, he used that line on you too, huh. LOL LOL....Just kidding. It is a real nice amp. Also consider the TJ Music/Sophia 300B 2.5 volt mesh plates. They sound super on the Eddie Current. Your in for a big treat.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Good decision! Congrats!
Is she loaded with 6J5's and a 5AR4/GZ34 too?

Cheers

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Yep, will have the 6J5's but I'll have to find a good 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier. Used to have a nice Mullard but sold it (damn!).

The RCA 6J5’s are the best I heard so far; cheap.
Mullard 5AR4/GZ34’s are fine. So are Philips double D Getter. The metal based ones are even better but go for fantasy prices.
Same with 2A3’s. EH makes some nice budget versions. TJ Music some good and AVVT and EML very good new production tubes.

Cheers

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 17
One of thies days I have to send my amp back to Craig and get the "45 tube accessibility" mod also. Craig seems to think the 45 is a better sounding tube than the 2A3 in his amps.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Hi guys,

Just joined the SET club with the arrival of a Consonance Cyber 30 that utilizes a 12AX7 and a pair of 2A3s. Still trying to get a handle of how it sounds. The unit came stock with a pair of EH Gold 2A3s, and I've been trying out various 12AX7/5751 tubes that I have in my collection. Just ordered a pair of Sovtek 2A3s and some Groove Note 12AX7M (Mullard replicas) that have been getting some good reviews as well.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am totally a newbie when it comes to SET amps. I can hear some hum when no music is playing. (This is after I've adjusted the potentiometer) Is this normal? Someone told me that this is due to improper/poor implementation, and that a decent SET amp would not have any hum issue.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
So, he used that line on you too, huh. LOL LOL....Just kidding. It is a real nice amp. Also consider the TJ Music/Sophia 300B 2.5 volt mesh plates. They sound super on the Eddie Current. Your in for a big treat.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Mikey, you still got all those amps? Geez, I thought you would have sold me one by now
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back