The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) + Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #199 of 218
Has anybody use a more powerful linear power supply?

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #200 of 218
Is there any way of lowering the gain on this unit? The levels are almost deafening even at just above minimum volume setting.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #201 of 218
Is there any way of lowering the gain on this unit? The levels are almost deafening even at just above minimum volume setting.

Good question. I feel the same way too.

May 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #205 of 218
Mines still going like a champ. I really should look into a better tube though

No new tubes here. Maybe later. I am still amazed at the Lambert's musicality. Did they ever go into full production? I think the price vs. performance is off the chart in it's favor. Especially with the HD800's. What does one do if it break's? Who honor's the warranty?

It feels like a quality piece of equipment sans the power connection. It's cons, my power connection still feel's loose, the little rubber feet can fall off, and the gain problem need's a fix. That's all I can think of.

May 17, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #206 of 218
Well.....one benefit of the high gain is that this unit has no problem getting a decent level with the AKG K340.

May 18, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #207 of 218
Holy crap! It even drives the Wharfedale Isodynamics!!!
eek.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #208 of 218
Just in case anyone is interested, I've got my PIBE for sale in clasifieds.
I really, really like the amp, its so musical and has a way of presenting all music in a very enjoyable way.  However, I'm finding that I haven't used it since I built a Bottlehead as well as going into the dark depths of balanced for solid state amplification (dark depths 'cause of recabling complexities!).  It just seems a shame that this really nice PIBE is just sitting there without anyone enjoying it.
To my ears, the stock PIBE sounds really pretty close to the Bottlehead crack (with nice tubes).  Its pretty amazing that this little amp is so enjoyable especially since it is tiny!  Hope you guys are all enjoying the amp still.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #210 of 218
Heya

I purchased Lambert Play it by Ear recently and I am noticing loud pop when switching on/off and headphones are plugged in. Is it normal behaviour ? I suppose there is DC current leakage which as known to me can damage Headphone driver.

Here are videos I made : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdydfcP9XHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoofmDo5944

Can anybody check with their headphones if you got same thing ?

I hope my unit is not damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back