The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #241 of 316
I started with the Dunnu S&S tips but then tried the yellow Spinfit, and its much better...bass is better and layering too...very nice off my desktop, It scales nicely.
Nice to hear it. I discovered that since the Quintet uses smaller 8 mm dynamic drivers, the clarity of the bass varies even with slight changes in insertion depth. For example, the first eartips which I tried were the SednaEarFitLight Short eartips. Then I decided to try the non-short version of these eartips. I noticed that the bass sounded the same yet with some muddiness. So I switched back to the Short version. Needless to say, people with different sized ears may have different experiences. One reviewer mentioned that you should try every set of eartips that you have in order to find the best match for the Quintet and your ears.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #242 of 316
That Cable should work fine
Hi Jujoe, I see that you also own the FiiO FH7 like me. Can the Kiwi Ears Quintet compete against the FH7 in terms of sound quality? I know that the FH7 is pricier, but driver configuration of the Kiwi Ears Q is very interesting .Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #243 of 316
Hi Jujoe, I see that you also own the FiiO FH7 like me. Can the Kiwi Ears Quintet compete against the FH7 in terms of sound quality? I know that the FH7 is pricier, but driver configuration of the Kiwi Ears Q is very interesting .Thanks.
Personally I find the quintet has good bass but that the FH7 to have a little more bass slam to them, mids and treble I find quintet to have a better resolution to them. Hope this helps :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #244 of 316
Personally I find the quintet has good bass but that the FH7 to have a little more bass slam to them, mids and treble I find quintet to have a better resolution to them. Hope this helps :)

Thanks! So does the Quintet have better treble extension and resolution than BA drivers of the FH7?

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #245 of 316
Thanks! So does the Quintet have better treble extension and resolution than BA drivers of the FH7?
Yes I think the planer and piezoelectric drivers really help in the treble

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #246 of 316
Yes I think the planer and piezoelectric drivers really help in the treble

I just know between IER-M9 and Quintet as I own and use both, but IER-M9 with only BA drivers as more mid-high/high details and better tonality all over the range than Quintet.. I couldn't find any EQ parameters that could really help the Quintet to be at the level of IER-M9.
Only for low frequencies, I need to EQ the IER-M9 to reach the level of Quintet..

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #247 of 316
Has anyone mentioned that the stock cable is just outright terrible!

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #248 of 316
Still in honeymoon bliss with my Quintet and M8! The synergy is incredible; the M8 is warmish with incredible detail. dynamics and an amazing bass. The quintet's mids and treble focus really is allowed to shine against that analogue sounding, layered canvas.....sounds great!

20231003_200832-EDIT.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #249 of 316
Sounds great.
Maybe I'll try it with my Sony Xperia, that has a warmish tone too.

Thank for that. :thumbsup:

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #250 of 316
Got my quintet today, and tried them. They sound good, and i have started the burn in process.

I would like a bit more bass, and i was thinking of trying other tips. So if i got it right, the tips with smaller bore enhance low ends?

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #251 of 316
Got my quintet today, and tried them. They sound good, and i have started the burn in process.

I would like a bit more bass, and i was thinking of trying other tips. So if i got it right, the tips with smaller bore enhance low ends?

It depends on ear anatomy but generally narrower bore tips seem to increase bass (ears perceive treble to be less ass a result).

You can try foam tips or final audio E black tips to tame treble.

Oct 6, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #252 of 316

Please use another cable

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #253 of 316
My review of the Kiwi Ears Quintet

The Kiwi Ears Quintet has been a difficult iem to review. It is different, and that is of course part of its attraction. Who, with even the slightest bit of technophile in them, could not be fascinated by a 5 driver iem with 4 different types of drivers? You have a conventional 8mm dynamic driver handling bass duties, a paired set of BAs in a single housing handling mids, a fairly unique micro-planar doing treble duty, and a bone conduction piezoelectric super tweeter adding supersonics and all kinds of crazy treble detail on top. I mean! The micro planar would be unique, but a pizoelectric bone conductor super tweeter? Even if you don’t know what any of that means, who would not want a Quintet in their collection? All those drivers are housed inside a fairly small and fairly conventional semi-custom fitted plastic shell with a super plain aluminum face plate. Simple. Understated. Functional. Amazingly, some fancy crossover work and tuning tubes, and at least one dampener, manage to blend all those drivers into a coherent iem that graphs surprisingly well, and sounds not a whole lot different than many more conventional single dynamic driver or all BA iems. Not a whole lot different…but definitely different. And there is the Quintet quandary in a nutshell.

Your first impression is going to be “whooo, this is way bright.” And I mean bright! Like shinning a 12000 lumens flashlight on the music score. At first you think the treble is just very present and forward…but it is not really that. Every note is bright, from bass to the highest frequencies…as though the high harmonics have been turned up to give each note an shimmering cutting edge of high energy…almost as though every note has been sharpened to a light saber sharp on the high side. Again, think of the music as a painting, and imagine that 12000 lumens flashlight held up close, picking out every detail in the brushwork, sweeping across the canvas, showing you things you did not ever expect to see. That’s what listening to music on the Kiwi Ears Quintet seems like, at least at first. The Kiwi Ears Quintet is all about space and detail…especially detail. It resolves very little nuance and places each note, every instrument, precisely in space and time. It can, because of that, sound a bit brittle or overly crisp, edgy, sharp, bright, until you get used to it.

You have to spend some time finding the right eartips to pull out all the bass that 8mm dynamic driver is delivering…and it is considerable…and it goes considerably deep. This is an iem that is super picky about ear tips though, so dig out all you have around and try each one. I am convinced it is not just a matter of seal, but also a matter of getting the drivers the right distance from your ear drum. I can easily say that if you are not satisfied with the bass on the Quintet then you have not found the right eartips yet. Keep looking. Once found, the bass then balances the somewhat forward mids, and the very present treble to give an accurate representation of any music in my library…from new age ambient to classical, with some jazz and vocal, bluegrass and celtic, rolled in.

This Quintet is another iem that I would class as “not your every day” iem…but one that you might want to own for those days when you want to take a really close, crystal clear listen to whatever music is on your heart and mind that day…to explore and get lost in all the finest detail.

Since the Quintet is exactly the same price, and, by the way, has the same number of drivers as the Aful Performer 5, it makes sense to compare them. The Performer 5 is a great iem, and very satisfying for day in day out listening. It is slightly warm, engaging, pleasant. It does a great job of handing just about any music you might want to listen to. Compared to the Quintet, however, it is slightly closed in, and slightly dull…the P5 lacks the stage and sense of space…and certainly the detail of the Quintet. If I had to pick one over the other, for general listening I might still pick the P5, but I already have other every-day iems for everyday listening that I like just as well as the P5 (and that cost at least $100 less), and the Quintet gives me something unique. And, once my ears got used to the bright, open sound and super crispy bass of the Quintet, it is really hard to go back to the “plain jane” sound of the Performer 5. To my way of thinking, Kiwi Ears made a strategic mistake pricing the Quintet at the same price as the P5. I think it should have been enough more to make the “this is something different! This is something special” statement.

In many ways the Quintet has more in common, sound wise, with the Performer 8. It has almost the same accurate instrument placement and fine detail as the P8…perhaps even more treble detail. However the P8 still outdoes it in the overall sense of space, the expansiveness of the musical experience. And, the Performer 8 does not have the “cutting edge” that some might find hard to take in the Quintet. Finally, I have yet to hear any iem that is as well balanced and in tune with itself as the Performer 8. The way it reproduces the harmonics of the full musical scale and they way they seamlessly mesh, gives it a sense of presence that is just not there in any other iem I have encountered.

So, the Quintet offers some things the Performer 5 does not, and that no other iem under $300 does, but does not reach the level of the Performer 8. If I were pricing the Quintet, I would put it right in between…say $290…to make it a real bargain and increase sales I might go as low as $260.

Of course, I am not complaining. $219 is within the range of many more of us than $260 would be, and this is a good thing. It just makes the Quintet another iem that, in my opinion, breaks the price of sound barriers…or makes further nonsense of current iem pricing models.

For the sake of brevity I have left out my usual detailed description of the sound profile with sample tracks. Actually it is an experiment to see if more people will watch more of a shorter review. Still, not to leave those who appreciate that kind of thing totally bereft, the songs I have been listing to with the Quintet, besides those already mentioned in previous reviews, are, for bass, Opener and New Bass Song from Nenad Vasilic, for more orchestral settings, Explosive from David Garrett and the Great River from David Arkenstone. For vocals Walk on By by Diana Krall and I’ll Get By by Avi Kaplin, for instrumentals Caldera by Al Marconi and Pocket Cathedral by Tom Canfield, as wall as Sylphs by Todd Mosby and Come Holy Spirit by Timothy Crane, as well as Paint it Black by the Brooklyn Duo. To mention just a few. All of these tracks and others from the same albums will redeem time spent with the Quintet, serving up a feast of fine detail and nuance hidden within the music…the details that make, in fact, the music the music it is.

The Quintet is unique. The Quintet is different. The Quintet is, in so many ways, a wonderfully refreshing iem. Not quite like anything else you have probably heard.

Not, certainly, your only iem, but an iem worth owning.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #254 of 316
Hi!!
Could you compare you Quintet with the IE600
The bass on the ie600 is better (slightly more in quantity too) and the upper treble is slightly more extended (but sounds less edgy for some reason). The vocals on the quintet sound slightly truer (more uncolored and more natural).

Ie600 is more musical (because of the bass and treble air) and will engage you a little more but is slightly less technical in the vocals than the quintet.

Both are very enjoyable.
I would give the ie600 a 8.2/10 for sheer enjoyment and the quintet a 7.6/10

But here's the kicker :
Listening to the quintet for more than 2 songs and you are guaranteed to forget in what way the ie600 was better (if it was at all). It's almost if any advantage never existed. I would go with the quintet and save money (especially if you can eq). But if money was no object then get the ie600. You won't be disappointed with either.

I'm keeping both.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #255 of 316
But here's the kicker :
Listening to the quintet for more than 2 songs and you are guaranteed to forget in what way the ie600 was better (if it was at all). It's almost if any advantage never existed. I would go with the quintet and save money (especially if you can eq). But if money was no object then get the ie600. You won't be disappointed with either.

I'm keeping both.
Can you please elaborate on the eq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back