The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 31, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #167 of 316
These are really quite a surprise. People highlighting the cohesiveness of this iem are right on. It's a really interesting set

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #169 of 316
This set is really great. It does a fabolous job w classical. I have it paired w the Penon GS849 balanced cable and I could not be happier w the performance at this price. This iem is a ridiculous success.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #170 of 316
I don't want to get crazy w the hype about this set, but my brain is going there.. trying to establish a pecking order haha

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #171 of 316
It's probably just me - I tried the S&S tips and I love them, however after several inserts I've noticed that the eartips gradually slip/slide down and the nozzle is almost at the front end of the tips, resulting in a loss of soundstage... was eyeing the W1s but I hear they can make the treble more prominent, which I don't necessarily want on this set...

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #172 of 316
I'm getting great results with the Symbio tips.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #174 of 316
Currently using SpinFit CP145 medium tips on my Quintet. I find this has the best comfort and overall sound quality for me.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #176 of 316
How would you compare Quintet with the Penon 10th?
They're tuned differently. Both IEMs are expertly tuned and are very balanced.

Bass quality and quantity is better on 10th AE. Extends lower, rumbles more, has more impact, and has more texture. Subbass and midbass are just much better in 10th AE, but I like Quintet's bass too. Quintet's bass isn't lacking at all.

Mids are more lush and smooth in 10th AE. Vocals are not as pushed back as on Quintet, though Quintet's mids aren't scooped out or recessed at all.

Treble is more pronounced, more airy and sparkly with Quintet. 10th AE's treble is more extended, have more quality to it, and sound more natural.

10th AE has better tonality and a more natural timbre, but Quintet isn't too far behind the 10th AE.

They both have very good technicalities, especially at their price. Quintet is a technicality beast at around $200. I don't think anything can match it around there.

Quintet has a more spacious, open presentation. Soundstage is a bit bigger and wider on Quintet. 10th AE has a slightly more intimate soundstage, not that it's closed in or anything.

Quintet needs more juice to power it properly, but it's not power hungry. 10th AE is just an extremely efficient IEM.

10th AE is more engaging, more fun, more dynamic. Quintet is more laid back but somehow more analytical at the same time.

I think both IEMs punch way above their price points. I enjoy both very much. They're both amazing "all-arounders" that can replay most genres very well. Can't go wrong with either to be honest.

I know a few others in here also have both IEMs and can do a comparison if they feel like it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #177 of 316

Bass quality and quantity is better on 10th AE. Extends lower, rumbles more, has more impact, and has more texture. Subbass and midbass are just much better in 10th AE, but I like Quintet's bass too. Quintet's bass isn't lacking at all.

Mids are more lush and smooth in 10th AE. Vocals are not as pushed back as on Quintet, though Quintet's mids aren't scooped out or recessed at all.

Treble is more pronounced, more airy and sparkly with Quintet. 10th AE's treble is more extended, have more quality to it, and sound more natural.

10th AE has better tonality and a more natural timbre, but Quintet isn't too far behind the 10th AE.

They both have very good technicalities, especially at their price. Quintet is a technicality beast at around $200. I don't think anything can match it around there.

Quintet has a more spacious, open presentation. Soundstage is a bit bigger and wider on Quintet. 10th AE has a slightly more intimate soundstage, not that it's closed in or anything.

Quintet needs more juice to power it properly, but it's not power hungry. 10th AE is just an extremely efficient IEM.

10th AE is more engaging, more fun, more dynamic. Quintet is more laid back but somehow more analytical at the same time.

I think both IEMs punch way above their price points. I enjoy both very much. They're both amazing "all-arounders" that can replay most genres very well. Can't go wrong with either to be honest.

I know a few others in here also have both IEMs and can do a comparison if they feel like it.

Thanks, appreciate the level of detail. I wish there was a way to demo the 10th especially since I've owned the Quintet.

I believe the shells are larger on the 10th - is fit on the 10th better, worse, or equal for you than Quintet?

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #178 of 316
Thanks, appreciate the level of detail. I wish there was a way to demo the 10th especially since I've owned the Quintet.

I believe the shells are larger on the 10th - is fit on the 10th better, worse, or equal for you than Quintet?
10th AE's shells are bigger than Quintet's but it's not too big.

The nozzle size is the only issue with the 10th AE; it's HUGE. I've had some discomfort wearing the 10th AE for 1-2 hours without a break, but it doesn't make my ears sore like the Monarch MKIII does, nor does it make my ears hurt like the Audeze Euclid. It's just slight discomfort.

Quintet's shell shape is not ergonomic and isn't shaped as nicely as the 10th's shell. Quintet also gives me slight discomfort if I'm wearing it for a long time. Out of my non-budget IEM collection, the IE600 and ISN NEO 5 are the most comfortable and fit the best, without any discomfort, soreness, or pain when wearing them for extended listening sessions. Everything else has some sort of issue when wearing them for a long time.

IEM4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #180 of 316

I love how you wrote more laidback for the Quintet, yet also more analytical, which is exactly how I hear them. Some of that difference in playback may be from the forward positioning of sound elements in the 10th? Not forward in midrange, but only positioning.

Both IEMs excel to offer surprisingly better sound than their price point represents, and in a are way not comparable. But to compare the nozzle on the Quintet is getting the ear-tip in just slightly a little farther. The Quintet body is way thinner and of less total size, yet both completely fit me fine, but in different ways.

Both are great all-rounders like you said, which is really true. Where the low-end thickness of the 10th makes it slightly (just slightly) more dramatic in playback. But the Quintet is not lacking in any bass quality, it’s just the added effect of the Penon 10th is larger in stage down there. Where the 10th is overall more flamboyant and the Quintet more balanced yet still very interesting none the less. Where the Quintet bass is full but offering a timbre with tightness and sculptures. Where the 10th has those sculptures of bass too, but they are extending further out into that lower stage, and more separate from the music.

At the price point the Quintet is.......almost nothing can touch it. Yet (as you said) the 10th tonality and timbre being exceptional and thus truly slightly better, as you would expect for the price difference. But also the 10th gives you that completeness that is hard to argue with. Where there isn’t any total loss of completeness with the Quintet, yet the 10th simply fills in the spots, and gifts you more realistic and engaging replay. IMO.......as it should for the cost. Yet both are in a way revolutionary in what they achieve for the price, as both include more than price would have your guess. The Quintet sounds like a $500 or more IEM, and the 10th sounds like 1K to me?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back