The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 19, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #106 of 334
The E4000 is very comfortable (bullet shape), but it is quite hard to drive. And the sound is not competitive in 2023. Many CHIFI kill it at a fraction of the price.

E4000 is quite muddy and veiled, with below average technical chops.
Do you have any recommendations in that form factor?

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #107 of 334
Do you have any recommendations in that form factor?

The Etymotics series.

But beware, they require deep insertion, and some (including myself) cannot tolerate the fit.

1689755879760.png

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #108 of 334
The E4000 is very comfortable (bullet shape), but it is quite hard to drive. And the sound is not competitive in 2023. Many CHIFI kill it at a fraction of the price.

E4000 is quite muddy and veiled, with below average technical chops.
Unless you drive it with a nuclear power plant :dt880smile: I think E5000 with a desktop-class amp or TOTL DAP sounds pretty sweet.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #109 of 334
Unless you drive it with a nuclear power plant :dt880smile: I think E5000 with a desktop-class amp or TOTL DAP sounds pretty sweet.
Unless IEMs are >100dB/Vrms and <32 ohms, they need a desktop class amp?

Also, I see that Final A4000 is pretty sensitive and read a lot of +ve reviews on them. Any experience with those?

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #110 of 334
Unless IEMs are >100dB/Vrms and <32 ohms, they need a desktop class amp?

Also, I see that Final A4000 is pretty sensitive and read a lot of +ve reviews on them. Any experience with those?

E5000 is 14ohm, 93dB (not sure Vrms or mW). It’s a nasty combination. Even apple dongle can get its 1kHz loud, no problem, but it sounds noticeably cleaner with black background and clean transient with strong amps. I like to use Topping G5, though the Dx300 does similar job from 4.4 output as well. Interestingly, I heard my KA3 distort the first time with E5000.

A4000 is also not easy to drive, but not that bad. I like its treble extension, but not its treble peaks. Skip, unless you can find a very cheap one.

Anyhow, back to quintet.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #111 of 334
E5000 is 14ohm, 93dB (not sure Vrms or mW). It’s a nasty combination. Even apple dongle can get its 1kHz loud, no problem, but it sounds noticeably cleaner with black background and clean transient with strong amps. I like to use Topping G5, though the Dx300 does similar job from 4.4 output as well. Interestingly, I heard my KA3 distort the first time with E5000.

A4000 is also not easy to drive, but not that bad. I like its treble extension, but not its treble peaks. Skip, unless you can find a very cheap one.

Anyhow, back to quintet.
Back to quintet, for sure! I want it to work with my ears.. what tips (pun intended) do you have for me so that I can use them for at least an hour without hurting my ears?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #112 of 334
The Etymotics series.

But beware, they require deep insertion, and some (including myself) cannot tolerate the fit.

1689755879760.png
From your collection, which iem is comfortable on small ears, easy to drive, and can outperform the Tin T4s?

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #113 of 334
Back to quintet, for sure! I want it to work with my ears.. what tips (pun intended) do you have for me so that I can use them for at least an hour without hurting my ears?
You can use spin fit tips to push the IEMs away from your ear concha. such pushing would extend the soundstage as well, though it might add treble peaks. Give and take situation here.

When in doubt, go for larger, soft tips, and opt for a shallow fit. A nice option is FiiO HS18 tips, though they can change the sound signature quite noticeably.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #114 of 334
You can use spin fit tips to push the IEMs away from your ear concha. such pushing would extend the soundstage as well, though it might add treble peaks. Give and take situation here.

When in doubt, go for larger, soft tips, and opt for a shallow fit. A nice option is FiiO HS18 tips, though they can change the sound signature quite noticeably.
Thank you very much. Will consider these if and when I bite the bullet.

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #115 of 334
Anyone using Spinfit W1 or Cp145 on quintet?? How its sound??

Or any recommendation good eartips for Quintet

My Quintet arrived today. I did try out a lot of tips and I am currently using TRN T tips (reversed). Getting a good seal with this IEM is very important.

This Quintet is indeed very resolving in the treble. Your typical DD+BA hybrid puts too much energy into the treble and lets the micro details shine too brightly while the Quintet reproduces them at the same level as all other sounds.

My first few hours with this IEM make me think it sounds like a planar with an added DD.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #116 of 334
Anyone using Spinfit W1 or Cp145 on quintet?? How its sound??

Or any recommendation good eartips for Quintet
I have tried many tips and Spinfit W1, Spinfit CP100plus, Spiral Dot, TRI Clarion, and Oriolus tips all worked well. All sounded great. For me, the Spinfit CP100 Plus feel the most comfortable, but not by much. The W1 and CP100plus are very similar.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #119 of 334
I'm currently (impatiently) waiting for my Quintets to arrive here in Toronto. Shipping appears to have stalled at an intermediate port, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Has anyone tried pairing these with a Fiio BTR3K? Wondering if I should just get a better BT dongle while I'm waiting.

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #120 of 334
I'm currently (impatiently) waiting for my Quintets to arrive here in Toronto. Shipping appears to have stalled at an intermediate port, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Has anyone tried pairing these with a Fiio BTR3K? Wondering if I should just get a better BT dongle while I'm waiting.
You can try UTWS5 if you only pair it with quintet and you aim for the most portability. Otherwise, BTR7 is also nice and more versatile, but less convenient. Both of them give me nearly the same stage as my Shanling M6 Ultra, even when using AAC bluetooth from iPhone.

Our friend Wassabi perfectly illustrated the difference that I heard between my BTR5 and BTR7/UTWS5 in this illustration:
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 9.10.42 am.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back