The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 17, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #91 of 334
Any update for first impressions??

I’ve been in them for a few days and my impressions are very positive. The primary aspect that I notice is the cohesiveness of the sound. You’d expect some inconsistency and lack of cohesion given the four driver types but it all hangs together nicely. The tone and timbre sound pretty accurate to me with maybe just a hint of a metallic shine to it. The general signature is V shaped but the bass section isn’t overwhelming. In my estimation the bass is solid and not over emphasized. The treble is very detailed and smooth, which seems like a contradiction but isn’t. It isn’t smoothed out in terms of details, it’s smooth in terms of tonal quality. As @StevieBats notes above it’s not sharp or piercing. They’re not causing me treble fatigue.

I’m really pleased with this set. The technology they’re using really hangs together well and produces a sound that is more controlled and rich than I was expecting. It’s a little on the cool side but not in a bad way. Plenty of note weight and musicality to them.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #92 of 334
So, I finally got my pair of Quintets, I am enjoying them very much, I was scared that the treble was going to be too hot and it was in the beginning (i was using very dark IEMS). But, after a while I got adjusted to it and now on rare occasions it's too much for me. Does the bass bloom with time, it's not that it's totally lacking, but when I got my FAN2's after a while the bass started to come into it's own. But, honestly, I think these were a good purchase all around, great build, great sound...
I never found the metamorphosis of Quintet bass to change as much as the Fan 2, where after a week of burn-in the Fan 2 really changed, and became more cohesive and deeper in the lows.

The Quintet changes into a more smooth and cohesive stance and offers slightly more natural qualities upon burn-in for a week. Maybe a tad more bass but not like the Fan 2. IMO

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #94 of 334
How is the soundstage for this quintet ?

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #95 of 334
It's quite an interesting iem.
I had a brief listening out of a Holo Stack ( Spring 3 + Bliss/ 4.4mm )

What stood out to me was the great separation the Quintet was able to deliver.
You literally can hear all the drivers doing their intended job. Quite nice.
Soundstage was medium, I'd say.

Comparing them to my FD7, there's a bit better imaging of the instruments, due to the different driver types.
Bass doesn't suffer in busy tracks, which was very nice to explore.
This is the most known situation a single DD can't compete with.

But there's also something missing for me.
Guess this was what one would call PRaT.
Hard to figure out on a short listening session.
I've to hear this iem on my setup for a bigger picture, thou.

It's a very technical iem in the overall sense and quite revealing at this price point.

I think I'd like it as a complementary set. :beerchug:

Even with my limited experience, this is going hard(ly) to beat at below the 1k mark if it suits your taste.
Kudos to Kiwi Ears for this. :ok_hand:

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #96 of 334
It's quite an interesting iem.
I had a brief listening out of a Holo Stack ( Spring 3 + Bliss/ 4.4mm )

What stood out to me was the great separation the Quintet was able to deliver.
You literally can hear all the drivers doing their intended job. Quite nice.
Soundstage was medium, I'd say.

Comparing them to my FD7, there's a bit better imaging of the instruments, due to the different driver types.
Bass doesn't suffer in busy tracks, which was very nice to explore.
This is the most known situation a single DD can't compete with.

But there's also something missing for me.
Guess this was what one would call PRaT.
Hard to figure out on a short listening session.
I've to hear this iem on my setup for a bigger picture, thou.

It's a very technical iem in the overall sense and quite revealing at this price point.

I think I'd like it as a complementary set. :beerchug:

Even with my limited experience, this is going hard(ly) to beat at below the 1k mark if it suits your taste.
Kudos to Kiwi Ears for this. :ok_hand:

Interesting. I don’t find it lacking myself. It’s true that it could use a bit more mid bass but I have plenty of mid bass rich sets. This one, to me, is all about the harmony of the diverse drivers. It just slices and dices complex tracks, placing every element in its own unique space and with fantastic resolution. I get lost in the synesthesia of it. Sounds are surrounding you and coming in from many different angles. I feel like amping up the mids too much would cause it to start to smear into the other frequencies. The tune they achieved with Quintet is unique and a great change from the myriad Harman and deep V sets around right now.

But as always, it’s all very subjective. For me the Quintet far exceeded my expectations, especially in comparison to the Quartet, which fell well below them.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #98 of 334
Anyone using Spinfit W1 or Cp145 on quintet?? How its sound??

Or any recommendation good eartips for Quintet
I use CP 145s on them, and it's a good pairing. But that's my go to for pretty much everything at the moment.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #99 of 334
I have small ears and currently enjoying the Tin T4 with stick medium tips. Would the Quintets be too big for me to give a bad fit (or a bad seal)?

If so, what are my options in the $200 range for smaller ears?

TIA :)

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #100 of 334
I have small ears and currently enjoying the Tin T4 with stick medium tips. Would the Quintets be too big for me to give a bad fit (or a bad seal)?

If so, what are my options in the $200 range for smaller ears?

TIA :)
That's tough, as the Quintets aren't really large but a bit bigger than the tin T4 by far. They are what I call normal iem size, but not overly large.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #101 of 334
That's tough, as the Quintets aren't really large but a bit bigger than the tin T4 by far. They are what I call normal iem size, but not overly large.
I'm okay with a bit bigger. But if the ear walls are stressed for a longer duration, I'll have to look elsewhere. The Final E4000s look tempting for the form factor

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #103 of 334
Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Have you tried the hexa?
Unfortunately, I'm not in a country where I can try IEMs and return them without any QC issues in them. Do the Hexas come close to the fit of the Quintets?

I'll have to reach out to a ton of folks and see what comes close to the Quintets for me to try out to.

Or I can just buy them and listen to a few tracks and rest every 30 mins or so!

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #104 of 334
Unfortunately, I'm not in a country where I can try IEMs and return them without any QC issues in them. Do the Hexas come close to the fit of the Quintets?

I'll have to reach out to a ton of folks and see what comes close to the Quintets for me to try out to.

Or I can just buy them and listen to a few tracks and rest every 30 mins or so!
We’ll hexas are a very good quality iem that is near 80 us that has a nice fit for many. If you see worried about fit they might be a good choice.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #105 of 334
I'm okay with a bit bigger. But if the ear walls are stressed for a longer duration, I'll have to look elsewhere. The Final E4000s look tempting for the form factor

The E4000 is very comfortable (bullet shape), but it is quite hard to drive. And the sound is not competitive in 2023. Many CHIFI kill it at a fraction of the price.

E4000 is quite muddy and veiled, with below average technical chops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back