The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #76 of 334
But people say its lacking in bass, is that your opinion too? :)
Remember balance is the total key word for the signature. So that would mean the whole smorgasbord of frequencies represented, and that is what they contain, all of em! The bass is to me key in offering the tone that makes them so special, not that it’s overwhelming or even a key thing, it’s hard to explain just how balanced these are? Maybe for some they will reproduce some higher level of treble tone, but that was not ever my impressions. The very first line of my review stated that Kiwi ears is showing the world that balanced tone is not a boring tone......or something like that? :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #77 of 334
Remember balance is the total key word for the signature. So that would mean the whole smorgasbord of frequencies, and that is what they contain, all of em! The bass is to me key in offering the tone that makes them so special, not that it’s overwhelming or even a key thing, it’s hard to explain just how balanced these are? Maybe for some they will reproduce some higher level of treble tone, but that was not ever my impressions. The very first line of my review stated that Kiwi ears is showing the world that balanced tone is not a boring tone......or something like that? :)

Interesting assessment. I have a similar impression of the Raptgo Bridge. On first listen they seem a little light in the low end, but as your ear becomes accustomed to it the sense of balance emerges. It isn’t that Bridge is light in bass. In fact it has an ample amount of very rich and textured bass that’s balanced with a very technical and detailed treble end. They work together to present a complete, integrated picture.

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #78 of 334
Interesting assessment. I have a similar impression of the Raptgo Bridge. On first listen they seem a little light in the low end, but as your ear becomes accustomed to it the sense of balance emerges. It isn’t that Bridge is light in bass. In fact it has an ample amount of very rich and textured bass that’s balanced with a very technical and detailed treble end. They work together to present a complete, integrated picture.
Funny...I feel same way about P8...the bass sneaks up on you....listening to Gary Numan Pure....not lacking bass at all....

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #79 of 334
Well, if you read the top list of features I list (the green writing) at the start of my review I state that the Quintet offer the best treble detail in their price bracket. That right there is one huge statement, and I believe it!

Later I state the detail does not come from heavy use of a “fake” treble frequency boost, but is a reality of the construction of tonal elements. Or something like that? :) That the sound must come from the use of all the driver methodologies present? That is written because the treble detail is unique in my experience?

So I’m sensing the treble as a formation of detail that also is relying on the spatial attributes of the stage as well as a formation of “realistic” properties? That’s just what I hear, as I don’t necessarily hear them as totally detailed, but well detailed.....if that makes any sense? That it’s actual timbre is what I hear in the treble area, that it works due to somehow being able to tell instruments apart due to their character.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #80 of 334
Jealous. My Quintet is taking a very long time to get here. Stranded at the Oakland processing center for a week so far.
Linsoul shipped my Quintet rather quickly (2 days after order/payment), but it took the shipper about 13 days to get it to the U.S.

Some people got their Quintet really fast, but it's taking a long time to reach other customers.

Hopefully they didn't lose your package. I heard if it's sitting at warehouse for too long, it might mean they lost your package.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #81 of 334
Linsoul shipped my Quintet rather quickly, but it took the shipper about 13 days to get it to the U.S.

Some people got their Quintet really fast, but it's taking a long time to reach other customers.

Hopefully they didn't lose your package. I heard if it's sitting at warehouse for too long, it might mean they lost your package.

Agree. I’ll give it a couple more days and see if it un-sticks.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #82 of 334
Definitely not lacking bass to my ears. People who say that might not have it properly sealed or they're not driving it properly. The Quintet rumbles and slams. Not the most bassy IEM and not a basshead IEM, but it doesn't lack in bass quality nor quantity.

I'm using SpinFit CP145 medium tips with the Quintet btw.
They accurately represent the base in the recording. If you want bass, the use the Quintet to listen to this:
or this:

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #84 of 334
Some reviewers said Quintet have problem on treble timbre, it is really bad??

Also when i have Oxygen, Orchestra lite and Quartet and want to buy another 1 between Quintet and Tanchjim Kara, who should i pick??
I want more excitement but also have good tuning, kinda boring with moondrop'ish tuning

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #85 of 334

Also when i have Oxygen, Orchestra lite and Quartet and want to buy another 1 between Quintet and Tanchjim Kara, who should i pick??
I want more excitement but also have good tuning, kinda boring with moondrop'ish tuning

To my ears there is an extremely slight metallic edge to things. It is, as I say, extremely slight. Hardly enough to mention. The Etymotic Evo has a slight plastic-y sound to the treble, but is still considered (I think by nearly everyone) to have excellent tuning. I think it's just a facet of the driver. Heck, the Monarch has slightly wispy treble.

At some point you can't get away from the physical nature of the drivers reproducing sound. There will always be something.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #86 of 334
To my ears there is an extremely slight metallic edge to things. It is, as I say, extremely slight. Hardly enough to mention. The Etymotic Evo has a slight plastic-y sound to the treble, but is still considered (I think by nearly everyone) to have excellent tuning. I think it's just a facet of the driver. Heck, the Monarch has slightly wispy treble.

At some point you can't get away from the physical nature of the drivers reproducing sound. There will always be something.
I agree. The very slight upper harmonics timbre issue can only be heard if you're really listening for it.

Even when I heard it on certain tracks, it didn't bother me because this IEM is so impressive and makes music sound so good.

Any reviewer who say it's a problem are just trying to find a fault with this IEM and being very nitpicky.

My only actual problem with the Quintet is the odd shell shape. It's relatively small, smooth, and pretty lightweight, but the shape doesn't conform well to my ear shape and will cause discomfort after 30 minutes to 1 hour. Very annoying.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #87 of 334

I think the "timbre" issue is the typical piezo sound of the treble which reminds me a little bit of the KZ ZEX. The quality is not necessary plasticky but sort of styrofoamy? The overall response seems pretty smooth. I wasn't really floored by the quintet, but it doesn't have any obvious flaws. I do agree with reviews that say it downplays a lot of dynamics in tracks (sound is "same-same"). Comparing it to the Raptgo bridge that came today (which has a similar signature to the Hook-X) soundstage of the quintet is definitely narrower, 2-dimensional, and lacking in dynamics. I did get ear fatigue from the bridge after 3 songs (recent caffeine might have contributed to this), but I loved the sound w/ electronic tracks. In your case I would recommend the Raptgo hook-x or bridge (those give the feeling that the music jumps out at you and is alive thanks to the stage, great tactile bass response and pleasant tuning). Essentially it is the difference between:

1689438240992.png
< (Quintet)
1689438319183.png
< (Raptgo hook -x/bridge)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #90 of 334
So, I finally got my pair of Quintets, I am enjoying them very much, I was scared that the treble was going to be too hot and it was in the beginning (i was using very dark IEMS). But, after a while I got adjusted to it and now on rare occasions it's too much for me. Does the bass bloom with time, it's not that it's totally lacking, but when I got my FAN2's after a while the bass started to come into it's own. But, honestly, I think these were a good purchase all around, great build, great sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back