The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete 50's Masters -- Elvis Presley box set
Jul 9, 2006 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
Read the allmusic guide review here.

I just got this set off Ebay, and for the past few days I've been reveling in the fantastic energy of the creation of rock 'n roll as we know it today. The collection is chronological and contains every master take of all the songs Elvis cut in the 50's. The allmusic guide review details what the collection is and why you should get it in far more convincing prose than I can summon.

It was part of a series that RCA released in the early 90's and includes overviews of Elvis' 60's output on one set, and of his 70's output on another. I've got a bid out on a copy of the 60's set. Once I've had a chance to digest it and read a few books about Elvis, then I ought to have proper context to understand the much maligned but critically well reviewed 70's Elvis.

Link to the allmusic guide review of From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters
Link to the allmusic guide review of Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters

For the past half year give or take a few months, I've been listening to lots of soul music, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash, and it gave me a taste to go back to the roots of rock 'n roll to see where it all started. This comprehensive Elvis set is a gold mine of great music from the dawn of the rock era, and if you have a love for American pop music, you ought to get it.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 19
I hear ya, man. Nothing that a heavily peanut buttered banana can't cure. Gotta love Elvis!

Actually, I'm glad you bumped this thread. The other night I was in the midst of responding to it and also searching Amazon for these box sets when my computer shut down. It's been doing that of late and with no warning. Just boom, off.

So if it makes you feel better, I'm back to do some Amazon shopping again. Hard to imagine, really. A thread about The King and no responses.
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 19
Kids and music snobs..........endless threads about Sigur Ros and Radiohead, a multi-volume thread about obscure metal genres, but no one can dirty their fingers typing about THE KING OF ROCK 'N ROLL.

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
Kids and music snobs..........endless threads about Sigur Ros and Radiohead, a multi-volume thread about obscure metal genres, but no one can dirty their fingers typing about THE KING OF ROCK 'N ROLL.

evil_smiley.gif
I hear ya. Damn kids and their post modern haircuts
evil_smiley.gif

I think most people are open to trying new things or in this case older things. I know I may dwell for long periods in certain periods and then launch myself into a different decade. Just yesterday I got Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (1959) out of pure curiosity.

I need some Elvis as all that's in the house, shamefully, is a greatest hits of my wife's. Interestingly the SQ of the songs are better the earlier they are. I did have long ago, when CD was a newish thing, an Elvis Sun Sessions CD and I'd like to get that sort of thing again.

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

a multi-volume thread about obscure metal genres, but no one can dirty their fingers typing about THE KING OF ROCK 'N ROLL.

Ditto. I went through those pages and pages of praise for those metal band, found the most commonly loved, and downloaded them. They all sounded the ******* same and like crap at that. Metal started off as garbage and remains garbage throughout all its infantile variations. *Flame suit on*. Oh, who gives a damn.... The King would have agreed.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Ditto. I went through those pages and pages of praise for those metal band, found the most commonly loved, and downloaded them. They all sounded the ******* same and like crap at that. Metal started off as garbage and remains garbage throughout all its infantile variations. *Flame suit on*. Oh, who gives a damn.... The King would have agreed.

Well, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that thousands of posts have been written about that type of music, which has had little if any impact on the culture at large, but I start a thread about Elvis, whose innovations allowed rock and roll (and by extension, heavy metal) to become viable genres, and no one shows up.

I like heavy metal, I cut my teeth on it, and I still have love for Slayer, Godflesh, Black Sabbath, and the like. My comment was not meant to belittle anyone's taste or choice of music, only to point out the profound disparity between cultural impact and historical worth on the one hand and head-fi recognition on the other.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 19
Check out Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five. That's ground zero for rock n' roll.

See ya
Steve

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 19
I just missed this post orginally but yes the 50's masters is a beyond superb set.

Elvis may not have orginated any one single thing but he definitely put it all together like no one had ever done before. Any one that can listen to hound dog, blue moon of kentucky, thats all right mama or heartbreak hotel and not hear true genius needs to have their ears examined.

I also have the complete 60s' masters volume 1 and it is almost as good with songs like suspicious minds and in the ghetto.

It's kind of sad that RCA moved away from what looked like it was going to be a complete collection of his recorded work. For example why no sixties masters volume 2?

In any event, great , groundbreaking stuff

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Check out Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five. That's ground zero for rock n' roll.

See ya
Steve

Actually R&B prerock n' roll.Check out the Bear Family 9 CD set"The complete Decca Recordings".No Louis Jordan,no Elvis or Chuck Berry.Great stuff!

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I need some Elvis as all that's in the house, shamefully, is a greatest hits of my wife's. Interestingly the SQ of the songs are better the earlier they are. I did have long ago, when CD was a newish thing, an Elvis Sun Sessions CD and I'd like to get that sort of thing again.

I've got quite a bit of Elvis on my shelves (just didn't have the big 50's, 60's and 70's collections until now! and am looking forward to those).

As for SQ, there is no digital Elvis like the beautifully remastered 30 #1 Hits collection, available at yourmusic.com for $5.99 (wow, and I thought it was an absolute steal at $20 when it came out). The follow up to this disc was called 2nd to None, I believe. It's not packed with as many nostolgia inducing moments as 30 #1 hits, but in a way, it's a lot more fun. Also available at yourmusic.com. Together, these 2 discs would be a great place to start. LOTS! of wonderful music, excellent SQ, great packaging, and dirt cheap.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've got quite a bit of Elvis on my shelves (just didn't have the big 50's, 60's and 70's collections until now! and am looking forward to those).

As for SQ, there is no digital Elvis like the beautifully remastered 30 #1 Hits collection, available at yourmusic.com for $5.99 (wow, and I thought it was an absolute steal at $20 when it came out). The follow up to this disc was called 2nd to None, I believe. It's not packed with as many nostolgia inducing moments as 30 #1 hits, but in a way, it's a lot more fun. Also available at yourmusic.com. Together, these 2 discs would be a great place to start. LOTS! of wonderful music, excellent SQ, great packaging, and dirt cheap.

I've seen that on numerous occasions and even held in my hands the DVD-A issue, but every visit to a shop involves an internal debate and which two of the ten things I want do I get. 30 #1 hits will be at the top of my list. I still do want a Sun Records collection not just of Elvis but of Perkins, Orbison and Cash.

Is Elvis' “That's Alright” the start of rock & roll proper?

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Is Elvis' “That's Alright” the start of rock & roll proper?

That's opening quite a can of worms. Historically, other artists fused r&b and blues with some country swing to make a sound that is now called "rock and roll" before Elvis was recording (namely Bill Haley and the Comets). But, Elvis is without question the place where rock hit the mainstream with the total package of what a rock and roller was to be identified as, the sound as well as the swagger. Bill Haley wrote some great tunes, but c'mon, they guy was a total nerd, y'know? No movement was going to metastasize around him, no matter how innovative he was.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I still do want a Sun Records collection not just of Elvis but of Perkins, Orbison and Cash.

Rhino has this single disc collection available of highlights of its top artists. There are lots and lots of Sun compilations, highlighting individual artists as well as overviews of all the labels output. Take your pick.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

That's opening quite a can of worms. Historically, other artists fused r&b and blues with some country swing to make a sound that is now called "rock and roll" before Elvis was recording (namely Bill Haley and the Comets). But, Elvis is without question the place where rock hit the mainstream with the total package of what a rock and roller was to be identified as, the sound as well as the swagger. Bill Haley wrote some great tunes, but c'mon, they guy was a total nerd, y'know? No movement was going to metastasize around him, no matter how innovative he was.

But that's a tasty can of worms! It's all very interesting and I'm afraid I'm under educated on the subject. Was Elvis the one who merged (very generally speaking) black and white music of the time?

What about Buddy Holly? Right...those glasses!
wink.gif

I'd better read up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

ROCK BEFORE ELVIS

Quote:

Rhino has this single disc collection available of highlights of its top artists. There are lots and lots of Sun compilations, highlighting individual artists as well as overviews of all the labels output. Take your pick.

Yeah it would be good to identify a definitive collection/package if one does exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back