The King of Pop
May 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #61 of 63
MJ was a genius but he was not alone and he sure had a lot of help (Quincy Jones!). Prince anyone? 

Anyway, too bad his albums became too formulaic. "Dangerous" is just too much and I largely detest it but the anniversary edition of Thriller has some genuine crap on it. Why the Black Eyed Pees, just why? 

May 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #62 of 63
True, of course he would have recieved help, but MJ's work didn't appear simply from following instructions from his boss.

I mean the 'genius' tag is given to timeless leaders of a field of human endeavour. 
Away from maths, football (soccer) has been a hugely important activity for the last 50 years. And take Lionel messi; undoubtedly a genius, and in my view the best ever. My point is he definately has recieved 'help', whether this be in tuition, nurturing from barca's academy or from his teamates. It doesn't make him much less great.

Back to maths, and were exposed to the misleading view of someone having produced their everglowing work locked in a room for 15 years. Greats, such as carl gauss were also, obviously, taught at some stage! And many greats took positions in universities enabling them to keep abreast of new developments. This doesn't make them much less great.

Jacko may have taken lessons from quincy jones and prince, but in my opinion he raised himself above them. Greatly. 

And a last point. I don't like all his music either. That's definate. 
But it's his wide appeal that I find amazing. Is there anyone who doesn't admire at least a few jacko tracks?

The same can't be asked of any other artist, ever.

May 19, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #63 of 63
Prince was already doing his own thing.

MJ, within his 'genre' changed the world. "Off The Wall" is my favourite album after that a formula becomes distinguishable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back