The King of Pop
Apr 24, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of reissues and remasters, can anyone comment on the qualities of the SACD versions?

I ordered the Thriller SACD from Sony, and my order has been backordered for a while now
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #33 of 63
The great Bernie Grundman has been MJs mastering engineer forever. He did both the original CDs and the later remastered Special Editions, *and* the SACD for Thriller (the only MJ SACD there is, BTW).

I love the originals and I love the remasters. The remasters (and SACD) are a tad loud (but nowhere near the worst offenders), but the clarity is just breathtaking. The originals are equally fantastic, but warmer and more analog sounding.

They're quite different to my ears, but each are a treat. You can tailor your listening session to the kind of sound you are in a mood for.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the originals and I love the remasters. The remasters (and SACD) are a tad loud (but nowhere near the worst offenders), but the clarity is just breathtaking. The originals are equally fantastic, but warmer and more analog sounding.

True story:

Last week when I was trying to figure out the differences between the two versions I remember thinking about pm'ing you and asking if you knew.
I didn't because:

1) wasn't sure if you still came to head-fi
2) It might have been a little creepy
3) I had no idea why I thought you would know, just for some reason I figured if anyone did it would be you.

weird huh?

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #35 of 63
No, I'm still here.
3000smile.gif

I'm pretty stoked because yesterday I found both the original Japan-for-Europe CD pressings for both Thriller and Off the Wall, both circa '84 or so. Rare as hen's teeth. They *may* have different masterings than the first USA pressings, sometimes these very early Japan CDs have unique masterings, sometimes not. I'll do some listening and update.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #37 of 63
Invincible is reputed to be the most expensive album ever produced. I personally think its awesome too. Just wanted to stick it in the mix as its not had a mention yet.

Dangerous is a very dry sounding album with all those crisp snares and cymbals making up the back beat for most of the tracks and its too long but its still okay. Bad is just a bunch of quite good singles thrown together but Smooth Criminal and Man in the Mirror are brilliant.

Thriller and Off the Wall are just stellar albums. Theres a reason that Thriller has sold a kigillion copies.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Invincible is reputed to be the most expensive album ever produced. I personally think its awesome too. Just wanted to stick it in the mix as its not had a mention yet.

Dangerous is a very dry sounding album with all those crisp snares and cymbals making up the back beat for most of the tracks and its too long but its still okay. Bad is just a bunch of quite good singles thrown together but Smooth Criminal and Man in the Mirror are brilliant.

Thriller and Off the Wall are just stellar albums. Theres a reason that Thriller has sold a kigillion copies.

I have not even heard invincible. I guess I just assumed given that Dangerous wasn't that good, neither would that be.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

I have not even heard invincible.

I agree with Duggeh, Invincible is another great album. Yes sure quality "drops off" from Off the Wall- Thriller-Bad, but I mean, who can sustain that level? It's alll relative. Taken as they are Dangerous and Invincible are great works.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #41 of 63
There are a number of things I love about both Thriller and Off the Wall. But mostly, two things stand out for me; the stellar horn arrangements of Jerry Hey, and the killer rhythm guitar work throughout (any album that has both Larry Carlton and Phil Upchurch on it, among others, simply has to be good).

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #42 of 63
So I picked up Invisible last night and did some critical listening, and really, I have a hard time getting into it. It is, like the others, recorded beautifully, but I don't know how I feel about the music. Nothing is really grabbing me.

Also, I got lucky and scored orignals of Thriller and Bad. I know I have them, but they are in rough shape... as I said I didn't really take care of my CD's as a youngster. So, now I have both the original and remastered albums to do some A-B'ing with.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #43 of 63
Well, this is interesting, I went right for Billie Jean, and did some quick switching. But, to be honest, I prefer the remastered version. It is definitely louder, but I like that. I don't even really know how to describe it. It seems more energetic. The original does seem to be "cleaner", and perhaps slightly more detailed, but that in itself seems to be a problem. Particularly the percussion seems to be overpowering, and the background music feels a little too distant. In the remastered version, everything seems to be balanced better.

Next up was Beat It. I love the guitars in this song, so if the background music was an issue in Billie Jean, it was likely to be a problem here also. It seemed to be less of an issue, but still present. This song is pretty much the same story. It sounds cleaner, more natural, but at the same time, it was not as exciting as the remastered version. So, I decided, being that the Senns are sort of laid back cans anyways, I would switch to the Grado, and it made for interesting results. The original most certainly sounded better on the Grados than the Senns. The original sounded wonderfully clear, but still seemed to lack the excitement of the remaster.

Next up, one of my preferred critical listening tracks, The Girl is Mine. This song is just so laid back and soothing. Maybe I will prefer the detail and natural sound of the original versus the louder, more robust remaster? Well, I can say with utmost certainty that I like the original more. A lot more. This song does not benefit from the fuller sound of the remaster, it is far better to just have a cool, clean, airy sound.

So, there you have it. On Thriller at least, it would seem as though the more critical, laid back tracks are better on the original, but the more up-beat tunes have the edge on the remastered copy. Bottom line is, I am glad I have both
smily_headphones1.gif

I will give Bad a shot tomorrow and see what I think, but it will likely be a similar story. Now I just need to track down originals of Off the Wall, and I really should get a new original and an SE copy of Dangerous, just to complete the collection.

For the record, on the HIStory compilation, anyone know if those are remastered or originals?

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm still here.
3000smile.gif

I'm pretty stoked because yesterday I found both the original Japan-for-Europe CD pressings for both Thriller and Off the Wall, both circa '84 or so. Rare as hen's teeth. They *may* have different masterings than the first USA pressings, sometimes these very early Japan CDs have unique masterings, sometimes not. I'll do some listening and update.

Let me know if they do. I have the opportunity to pick up sealed original Japan printings, but they are $50 a pop. A little pricey no matter what, but if it sounds different, I may just have to
very_evil_smiley.gif

But, I did just place an order on Amazon for: Off the Wall original, Dangerous SE and Original, and Thriller SACD. I am most excited for the Thriller SACD. The more I listen, the more I like the original mastering more. So, here is to wondering of the SACD of the remaster will warm me up to the newer mastering, or if I will prefer the original even to that. I will do plenty of comparing when I get them and report back.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 63
I bought the thriller special edition and did a few comparisons(using billie jean)

I have to agree with most of your findings however, did you try volume matching the two discs to see how it affected the resultant sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back