The KGHV GG Stax Amp
Jan 4, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #95 of 114
Around 150 hours now on the Marshall EL34Bs in my GG. They have opened up significantly, and the bass has settled in. Their sound character is less of a creamy EL34 and more similar to a 6V6 in triode, which is a long time favorite of mine. Open, clear and transparent. Neutral to slightly sweet, but not warm. Lots of detail naturally resolved in a lively presentation. Bass is neutral and can do the 32hz pipe organ notes in Strauss’s Thus Spake Zarathustra with more volume and better definition than my vintage Mullards. The EL34Bs can be a little rough around the edges at times. Maybe with even more hours this will settle in too. Or maybe it’s the source? IDK...

I like these Marshall EL34Bs. A lot. Enough that I’m using these for my daily listening tubes. My vintage Mullard xf3 EL34s have a more visceral sound character (slightly more tonality, punchy dynamics, refined high frequencies). They are made for Led Zeppelin:L3000:. The EL34Bs are a bit of a different flavor, and not far off IMO. And just as listenable with the music I enjoy. My other tubes (2000 NOS Svetlana winged C EL34, 1961 NOS Philips DD xf4 EL34, JJ 6CA7, and GL KT77) each have a bit too much of a
particular personality that I don’t prefer any in comparison to the EL34B.

I’ll continue to use and enjoy them to see how long they last. Even being so inexpensive, I would buy them again for the sonics.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #96 of 114
Around 150 hours now on the Marshall EL34Bs in my GG. They have opened up significantly, and the bass has settled in. Their sound character is less of a creamy EL34 and more similar to a 6V6 in triode, which is a long time favorite of mine. Open, clear and transparent. Neutral to slightly sweet, but not warm. Lots of detail naturally resolved in a lively presentation. Bass is neutral and can do the 32hz pipe organ notes in Strauss’s Thus Spake Zarathustra with more volume and better definition than my vintage Mullards. The EL34Bs can be a little rough around the edges at times. Maybe with even more hours this will settle in too. Or maybe it’s the source? IDK...

I like these Marshall EL34Bs. A lot. Enough that I’m using these for my daily listening tubes. My vintage Mullard xf3 EL34s have a more visceral sound character (slightly more tonality, punchy dynamics, refined high frequencies). They are made for Led Zeppelin:L3000:. The EL34Bs are a bit of a different flavor, and not far off IMO. And just as listenable with the music I enjoy. My other tubes (2000 NOS Svetlana winged C EL34, 1961 NOS Philips DD xf4 EL34, JJ 6CA7, and GL KT77) each have a bit too much of a
particular personality that I don’t prefer any in comparison to the EL34B. Plus the KT77s only lasted 4 months before the getter was gone in one tube. That’s $190 down the drain.

I’ll continue to use and enjoy them to see how long they last. Even being so inexpensive, I would buy them again for the sonics.

That is very nice. Regarding KT77, my 88CC Philips NOS got one down the drain, and that was $500 done. So, buying NOS is pretty much Lottery. My XF2 Quads is still going strong, but I don’t think I would ever go for 88CC NoS again. JJ renew is now in and is very reliable, so I will stick with it from now

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #98 of 114
May 5, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #100 of 114
If anyone is interested I have a nearly new customized soren_brix built KG GG from 2020 for sale. The amp was less than 10 hours in use.

Selling because I finally decided to go for a T2 while the KG GG was being built.

According to Søren the unit is unique, as no other has been customized to the same extent.

Features:

NB/PRO BIAS

Seiden 23 step attenuator, equipped with Takman ½W resistors.

Duelund silver/cotton/teflon for internal signal wiring. Belden Silver plated lc-ofc teflon insulated for all other wiring.

Cardas XLRs (loop through)

Teflon tube sockets/Jack jacks

Golden Reference High + low voltage

Soft start circuit: 90s filament heating while power led flashing, where after high voltage is applied to the tubes and the power led will lit continuosly.

The amp uses a quad of EL34’s for the output stage. These are not included. You can make your own choice according to your own preferences.

Original box and packing.

Smoke free home.

Thanks you for looking!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #101 of 114
If anyone is interested I have a nearly new customized soren_brix built KG GG from 2020 for sale. The amp was less than 10 hours in use.

Selling because I finally decided to go for a T2 while the KG GG was being built.

According to Søren the unit is unique, as no other has been customized to the same extent.

Features:

NB/PRO BIAS

Seiden 23 step attenuator, equipped with Takman ½W resistors.

Duelund silver/cotton/teflon for internal signal wiring. Belden Silver plated lc-ofc teflon insulated for all other wiring.

Cardas XLRs (loop through)

Teflon tube sockets/Jack jacks

Golden Reference High + low voltage

Soft start circuit: 90s filament heating while power led flashing, where after high voltage is applied to the tubes and the power led will lit continuosly.

The amp uses a quad of EL34’s for the output stage. These are not included. You can make your own choice according to your own preferences.

Original box and packing.

Smoke free home.

Thanks you for looking!

How much are you asking for the amp ? What is the voltage set for? Thanks

May 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #102 of 114
Congrats on the T2. Rare company!

May 5, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #103 of 114
If someone has T2 around Seattle area, then I am willing to bring my 009s, Freya and Kgsshv Carbon amp to compare with T2.

The nice thing of Freya is that I can fine tune the sound through Nos tube rolling.

Now I am happy with Syl 6ns7gtw in gain stage and Rca gray bottle gtb in buffer stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back