The KGHV GG Stax Amp
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #106 of 114
The unit has been sold.

The KGHV GG is basically a KGSSHV Carbon with tubes. Some people prefer solid state amps. However, tubes usually last very long and the tube sound gives another nuance in sound.
Due to my personal experience I can highly recommend soren_brix as a builder.
My DIY T2 is still under construction. So I cannot yet answer the question.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #107 of 114
I know this has been dormant for a while but I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a GG from Soren and I wanted to see if any owners can give me an update on long-term reliability of the GG and lifespan of EL34 tubes. I have some NOS Mullard, and Svetlana for my speaker amp and Genalex KT77 that came with the amp that I plan to use. I have a 009 and 007 MK2 that I will be using with the energizer. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #108 of 114
I have a KGGG from Soren since 5 years, using it almost daily, never a problem. Highly recommended.
I have tried few tubes, including Siemens and Mullard NOS, and my preferred in terms of cost/perf are the JJ 6CA7, followed by the SED =C=. but it will also depend on your preferred sound sig, SED are less "warm" but more transparent and detailed, while JJ are more relaxed and smooth.
if you have money to spend, then grab the Mullard XF2 NOS, best I have heard. Siemens NOS are close, but less engaging than Mullard.
I'm using a 009 and a JadeII

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #109 of 114
I have a KGGG from Soren since 5 years, using it almost daily, never a problem. Highly recommended.
I have tried few tubes, including Siemens and Mullard NOS, and my preferred in terms of cost/perf are the JJ 6CA7, followed by the SED =C=. but it will also depend on your preferred sound sig, SED are less "warm" but more transparent and detailed, while JJ are more relaxed and smooth.
if you have money to spend, then grab the Mullard XF2 NOS, best I have heard. Siemens NOS are close, but less engaging than Mullard.
Thanks for the insight. I think that seals the deal and Soren will be receiving a bank transfer from me shortly.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #110 of 114

Does the JJ 6CA7 sound different than the EL34?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #113 of 114
I had good experience with the KG GG using the Psvane 6CA7-T-MII. They sounded very organic with high resolution and very nice tonal colors. Also, they are reasonably priced.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #114 of 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back