The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Aug 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #826 of 1,066
Was gonna order these baby's but then i got the chence to but the ATH WS99 for only 100 euro and man that thing is a beast
atsmile.gif
already had the WS55 but this thing is a big step up,so have to let this one slip.....

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #827 of 1,066
I'm at the point were the left earcup sits so annoyingly on my ears, that they actually hurt the inside of my left ear if I'm playing music with bass on them. Who else has this problem?

I think it is because of the angled pads, because I had the same problem with the Philips X1.

If it wasn't for that annoying problem, they would be very good headphones.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #828 of 1,066
They aren't the most comfortable headphones out there, but they manage, the pain isn't that really that bad, and my ears are really sensitive to headphones. I'd say for the price it's a good fit. Did you try the book method? If not, put some books between the cups so that they are spread more than they would be if they were on your head, and leave them overnight like that.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #829 of 1,066
  They aren't the most comfortable headphones out there, but they manage, the pain isn't that really that bad, and my ears are really sensitive to headphones. I'd say for the price it's a good fit. Did you try the book method? If not, put some books between the cups so that they are spread more than they would be if they were on your head, and leave them overnight like that.

They're very comfortable actually when not listening to music, but when the music starts, the music in the left earpad starts to hurt my left ear, even when the volume is very low. Clamping pressure is absolutely not the issue.

Because the left eardpad sits very different than the right earpad. And whatever I tried, I couldn't get the left earpad to sit right.

I did have the exact same issue with the Philips X1, which has angled pads as well. So I guess angled pads are not doing it for me.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #833 of 1,066
The only thing that's bothering me at this point is that the bass is very boomy on a lot of songs. Is there any mod I can do to tame the bass without sacrifising any mids or highs?

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #835 of 1,066
I just got a pair after reading this thread. Out of box they sound way worse than the HA-S500, but way comfier. I think the most appropriate term for their out of box sound is veiled. I'm a bit skeptical of burn in, but I've been playing these above listening levels as much as I can and am not noticing much difference, but will keep at it since I'm stuck with them. Biggest difference I've found is replacing stock pads, anything with more breathability does these headphones a big service. :D The earcups are shallow, so I don't see much space to mod but will try at least to throw some dampening materials in there (fiberglass). Listening to the driver without the earcup you hear a huge difference, very good sounding drivers.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #837 of 1,066
  I just got a pair after reading this thread. Out of box they sound way worse than the HA-S500, but way comfier. I think the most appropriate term for their out of box sound is veiled. I'm a bit skeptical of burn in, but I've been playing these above listening levels as much as I can and am not noticing much difference, but will keep at it since I'm stuck with them. Biggest difference I've found is replacing stock pads, anything with more breathability does these headphones a big service. :D The earcups are shallow, so I don't see much space to mod but will try at least to throw some dampening materials in there (fiberglass). Listening to the driver without the earcup you hear a huge difference, very good sounding drivers.

In my opinion they sounded good on SOME tracks when I first got them, and BAD on other tracks. But now after some burn in they sound good on all songs.

The only thing that's bothering me is that if they play a track with a lot of bass, the bass gets really boomy. And if I EQ the bass down, they become less forward sounding on the midrange and lose a bit of clarity.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #838 of 1,066
Earpads definitely make an immediate and huge difference, the stock earpads are awful aside for comfort. If burn in makes a difference then these'll become a very great headphone, but right now they already sound exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back