The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Jan 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #391 of 1,066
Jan 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #392 of 1,066
I'm surprised by how much these cans are growing on me. Initially, I thought I'd never get used to them and would have to forever EQ them to get at least some enjoyment out of them. But, at this point, I'm almost fully used to how they sound un-EQd.

Do I like them as much as the CAL? I wouldn't say so. But they make an OK companion to them.

The S680 have become my go-to when listening to bright, harsh-sounding recordings; albums mixed in mono; and albums that fall into the rap and electronic genres. They fare well with some rock and metal but, IMO, not much of it. This is unfortunate for me since I listen primarily to stuff that falls into the rock genre. I do, however, listen to electronic at some point every day and, from time to time, rap so I do have a use for these 'phones. If you listen to rock and metal I wouldn't recommend these cans; if you listen to rap and electronic, these should appeal to you.

In a while I'll be using them to watch the movie Drive. That should be interesting . . .

By the way: they no longer cause me discomfort. I stretched the headband a bit by placing a few thick books in between the cups and leaving it like that for a few hours. If you, like me, have a big head and they cause you discomfort, I recommend you try that. It worked wonders for me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #393 of 1,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF 

I strongly recommend purchasing any Sabre-based DAC, here is the cheapest one at 49$ shipped: http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

It's perfectly neutral and very resolving.

Hmm. That kind of USB DAC is not really an option for me right now, as I use my current DAC for the PS3 & XB360 that also lives on my desktop. (PC & game consoles -> toslink switch -> DAC/headphone combo -> Audioengine N22 amp for my speakerf setup). But maybe in the future I'll upgrade DACs and then we'll see.
Anyway, I got a note this morning saying that the S680s are shipped from the US - now the wait begins (and hopefully it'll slip past customs)
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #395 of 1,066
  I'm surprised by how much these cans are growing on me. Initially, I thought I'd never get used to them and would have to forever EQ them to get at least some enjoyment out of them. But, at this point, I'm almost fully used to how they sound un-EQd.

Do I like them as much as the CAL? I wouldn't say so. But they make an OK companion to them.

The S680 have become my go-to when listening to bright, harsh-sounding recordings; albums mixed in mono; and albums that fall into the rap and electronic genres. They fare well with some rock and metal but, IMO, not much of it. This is unfortunate for me since I listen primarily to stuff that falls into the rock genre. I do, however, listen to electronic at some point every day and, from time to time, rap so I do have a use for these 'phones. If you listen to rock and metal I wouldn't recommend these cans; if you listen to rap and electronic, these should appeal to you.

In a while I'll be using them to watch the movie Drive. That should be interesting . . .

By the way: they no longer cause me discomfort. I stretched the headband a bit by placing a few thick books in between the cups and leaving it like that for a few hours. If you, like me, have a big head and they cause you discomfort, I recommend you try that. It worked wonders for me.

Thats the stage that I call "completion of brain burn-in".

Things will only get better from here. They'll keep improving for many hours to come, regardless of the initial burn-in procedures.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #400 of 1,066
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #401 of 1,066
Jan 28, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #403 of 1,066
Which headset is similar to the JVC 680? Excuse me, I'm Italian :bigsmile_face:

Lol, the S680 is one of a kind.

There are no copies or lookalikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back