The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Nov 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #31 of 1,066
  I have been using the HM5 pads in the office during the day (when it can be quite noisy) and the stock pads in the evening (when it's quiet).
HM5 do isolate better and add soundstage, but the audiophile in me prefers the stock pads' sound by a large margin.

I was the same way with the S400s and S500s. I tried a ton of pad-swapping, but always cam crawling back to the stock pads.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #32 of 1,066
  I was the same way with the S400s and S500s. I tried a ton of pad-swapping, but always cam crawling back to the stock pads.

I'm sure if JVC would have put the full-size pads on these from the start, they could've tuned them to sound just as good as with the current stock pads. May be in the next generation...

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #33 of 1,066
After deciding to stick with the stock pads, I started playing with the bass ports.
Surprisingly, they have very little effect on the bass. However, they have a huge impact on the soundstage.
Basically, JVC produced a semi-open headphone disguised as a closed one.
They replaced dozens of small holes with 2 little bigger ones - improving isolation and leakage compared to a traditional semi-open.

When I close the ports, they sound almost exactly as S400.
When I open the ports, the soundstage becomes very airy, yet intimate - I feel like I'm sitting in a recording studio/theater and the vocalist is singing just for me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #34 of 1,066
  After deciding to stick with the stock pads, I started playing with the bass ports.
Surprisingly, they have very little effect on the bass. However, they have a huge impact on the soundstage.
Basically, JVC produced a semi-open headphone disguised as a closed one.
They replaced dozens of small holes with 2 little bigger ones - improving isolation and leakage compared to a traditional semi-open.

When I close the ports, they sound almost exactly as S400.
When I open the ports, the soundstage becomes very airy, yet intimate - I feel like I'm sitting in a recording studio/theater and the vocalist is singing just for me.

Ben, ....always been one of the s400's biggest fans....I have modified mine internally and I am constantly in awe of how good they sound...I have covered just about every budget phone Monoprice, Incipio, Koss, Superlux, Sony, etc. and I always seem to come back to these...the main reason?....lack of sibilance...I find alot of these to be sibilant...not so on the s400...so my question...you said playing around with the bass ports that covered it sounds identical to the s400...so is it a significant enough upgrade to warrant the price/importation?...your response is always appreciated...also is it in fact a different driver in your opinion...

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #35 of 1,066

Ben, ....always been one of the s400's biggest fans....I have modified mine internally and I am constantly in awe of how good they sound...I have covered just about every budget phone Monoprice, Incipio, Koss, Superlux, Sony, etc. and I always seem to come back to these...the main reason?....lack of sibilance...I find alot of these to be sibilant...not so on the s400...so my question...you said playing around with the bass ports that covered it sounds identical to the s400...so is it a significant enough upgrade to warrant the price/importation?...your response is always appreciated...also is it in fact a different driver in your opinion...

It is a different driver, but it's tuned to be as balanced as S400's smaller older generation driver.
There is no sibilance whatsoever.
The SQ is much better than S400, mainly due to the improved sound stage, imaging and bass.
And of course, comfort is very important too.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 1,066
  I don't know about S400 being better than ES700, but can you Compared this (S680) to S500 with Stock pad?

No Bias of course.

I don't have S500, but they are supposed to be more "fun" and more V-shaped than S400.
S680 is more "fun" than S400, but is just as balanced - the extra "fun" comes from bigger soundstage and better bass.
Pads themselves are the same on S400 and S500, so S680 are much more comfortable.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #39 of 1,066
Wow, 4 red ones bought in less than 24 hours!
I am surprised that the white ones aren't popular - they are the most beautiful ones. I only bought the red ones because I wanted a matching set with my S400.

.... ya Ben I bought the white s400 I think they're awesome looking...still kicking it around... I will admit the S400 hurts my ears sometimes...better sound and comfort is quite appealing....

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #40 of 1,066
.... ya Ben I bought the white s400 I think they're awesome looking...still kicking it around... I will admit the S400 hurts my ears sometimes...better sound and comfort is quite appealing....

I have relegated my S400 to the back of the closet now, see no reason to use them ever.
Take a chance with S680, you'll like it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #45 of 1,066
Just got my red and black set in today, sooner than expected! Already have hm5 pads to try, and can compare directly to S500 soon.

My real question though is has anyone tried any mods yet? Foam, dynamat, corkboard, that kind of thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back