The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #3,227 of 3,535
Hello guys, I've been reading the two FX 850 threads for a bit now, and I want to see if this is about accurate for the general consensus:

The 650 has not enough bass and 700 is too boomy. The 850 sounds very good across the board but too much mid-bass, which can be modded. The 1100 has too much bass even for a basshead.

So I was thinking to get the 850 and use the j444 mod to reduce the bass with the silicon in the front - but as I'll be using this on the go, it seems this may reduce the noise isolation too much?

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?

Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:
Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #3,228 of 3,535
Do give a look at the Earsonics SM64... 
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #3,229 of 3,535
  Hello guys, I've been reading the two FX 850 threads for a bit now, and I want to see if this is about accurate for the general consensus:

The 650 has not enough bass and 700 is too boomy. The 850 sounds very good across the board but too much mid-bass, which can be modded. The 1100 has too much bass even for a basshead.

So I was thinking to get the 850 and use the j444 mod to reduce the bass with the silicon in the front - but as I'll be using this on the go, it seems this may reduce the noise isolation too much?

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?

Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:
Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

I heard Trance detailed that FX750 is the best of all...but the rest that you listed out should have a very different sound signature....Hybrids always sound colder in the mid and high spectrum with some good punchy dynamic bass.  The FX series is Dynamic driven with Wood dome to achieve better more realistical tones....or organic timbres, which it really does, only their bass is ...well....Bass! lol. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,230 of 3,535
Well he's looking for isolation and 'fairly flat accurate bass', so I can't recommend any of the JVC models, but they have great soundstage. The DN2000 has high isolation, but has a V shaped 'fun' signature. The CKR9LTD is the flattest most neutral out most iems I've tried, has medium isolation, but has quite a small sound stage. There's no perfect iem I'm afraid.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,231 of 3,535
Well he's looking for isolation and 'fairly flat accurate bass', so I can't recommend any of the JVC models, but they have great soundstage. The DN2000 has high isolation, but has a V shaped 'fun' signature. The CKR9LTD is the flattest most neutral out most iems I've tried, has medium isolation, but has quite a small sound stage. There's no perfect iem I'm afraid.

Agreed. If the case above, then take a look at IM-03 :D best isolation with foam tips, more neutral, also great soundstage....but they are BA, so bass is a tad bit....BA :wink:

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3,232 of 3,535
Hello, thanks for your input. I forgot to mention I'm only interested in the straight-housing type of IEMs so it's really fast to insert / remove them, and around $300. I like an ever so slightly v-shaped or warm sound signature like (for full size comparisons) the HD-650 or AKG K7XX, but not flat to the poin it's boring like the Fischer FA-003 or older Etymotic IEMs.

So maybe the Shure SE 450 would be a good match? But I think it may be uneasy to insert / remove quickly. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #3,233 of 3,535

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the [COLOR=222222]T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Any advice would be helpful! Thanks![/COLOR]
your best choices are the 750 or the 850. I own both and they are fantastic. 850 has detachable cable though, so I would go that way.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,234 of 3,535
Hello, thanks for your input. I forgot to mention I'm only interested in the straight-housing type of IEMs so it's really fast to insert / remove them, and around $300. I like an ever so slightly v-shaped or warm sound signature like (for full size comparisons) the HD-650 or AKG K7XX, but not flat to the poin it's boring like the Fischer FA-003 or older Etymotic IEMs.

So maybe the Shure SE 450 would be a good match? But I think it may be uneasy to insert / remove quickly. 

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the [COLOR=222222]T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Any advice would be helpful! Thanks![/COLOR]

I should be getting Trance's former fx750 sometime soon - I'll be able to compare it to say the Titans and the Dn2000. I've been thoroughly enjoying the latter since plugging them in with monster supertips (all the fun and details with minimal sibilance).

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,235 of 3,535
I should be getting Trance's former fx750 sometime soon - I'll be able to compare it to say the Titans and the Dn2000. I've been thoroughly enjoying the latter since plugging them in with monster supertips (all the fun and details with minimal sibilance).

Great, please post your impressions here of the 750 compared the 850 after you get them.

But regarding the isolation on the 850 - they must have to isolate somewhat?

Also would any of you be able to tell us about the difference in sound between the DN 2000 and the DN 2000J (if you've gotten to try them first hand)? Thanks much!

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,236 of 3,535
Late comer to the club. Was at Tokyo last week, saw this at around USD200 so I thought to myself, what the heck, if I dont like it then just sell it at cost shouldnt be a problems. So far loving it. And let me add as a lot of people here say, this IEM bear a striking resemblance SQ wise with Shure SE846. At 1/5th of the 846, this is a no brainer. The difference I could hear is the bass of 846 are more controlled, the high is better and separation is better too, all the plus point is just a hair better, not a lot.

On the lower price spectrum, Yamaha EPH-100 (which I owned previously) also bear a close resemblance to this. But just a resemblance. The quality of the SQ of this vs EPH-100 is on another level altogether. What I'm trying to say, this is a straight upgrade path from EPH-100

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,237 of 3,535
Sounds like a winner. I understand this is basically an open-earphone, so about how much would you say the noise isolation is? On a plane, train, etc. does it still cut out much of the background noise?

And does this earphone scale very well with portable amps like the Fiio x5 DAC/amp?

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,238 of 3,535
  The 1100 has too much bass even for a basshead.

That is literally not even possible. Bassheads (like me) get the most bass-heavy headphones and earphones and then we use EQ or amplifier boosts to increase it. The only way a headphone is too bass heavy is if the upper bass is bloated, because most of us want sub-bass and not bass bleeding into the mids. Then we use EQ to shove mid-to-upper bass down a bit and sub-bass up.

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,239 of 3,535
  Sounds like a winner. I understand this is basically an open-earphone, so about how much would you say the noise isolation is? On a plane, train, etc. does it still cut out much of the background noise?

And does this earphone scale very well with portable amps like the Fiio x5 DAC/amp?

Noise isolation is fair, it wont create a tight seal like most of IEM. So you will still be able to hear your surrounding if you listen on low volume, any medium volume and up will dawn the ambient noise. I only own 1 portable amp which can be considered vintage nowadays, Pico slim, havent had any chance (and dont plan to) to do critical listening. All I can feel till now is just the addition of portable amp just increase the gain. No significant change on SQ

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,240 of 3,535

That is literally not even possible. Bassheads (like me) get the most bass-heavy headphones and earphones and then we use EQ or amplifier boosts to increase it. The only way a headphone is too bass heavy is if the upper bass is bloated, because most of us want sub-bass and not bass bleeding into the mids. Then we use EQ to shove mid-to-upper bass down a bit and sub-bass up.

Me too, 1000% with you.  wd2's sub-bass > fx750 sub-bass. How do you rank your phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back