The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,151 of 3,535
Ive had both recently. I think maybe because rovkets are newer and less of them/harder to get. I enjoy both, the jvc definately bassier, but lacks a little of micro details the rockets posess.with the light weight linum Bax cable i love the fit of jvc. Rockets cable was a little annoying, as was the jvc cable

True, Rockets are newer. I do like the more bassier sounds as people mentioned electronica is great on these, despite listening to all kinds of music like classical). The JVC also offers more features like the detachable cable and comfort. Obviously subjective but which IEM do you prefer? Comfort wise and sound wise? Touch choices, quite tough. Thanks for the info. 

May 24, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,152 of 3,535
tough as i like both, but kept the jvc. I like bassier sounds too. I have larger ears so with the linum cable the jvc is very comfortable. I wear them in gym often, more weight lifting than running, so the bass is welcome.the original cable was heavy and kept "catching" on my shirt and tugging the housing loose, but i cant reccomend the linum baX cable enough, so thin and light. I do miss the microdetailing of the Rockets at times, but jvc is good enough at it, and as i mentioned the jvc is very lively and energetic which is great for gym. Also jvc is easier to drive although on paper they seem to pretty similar in sensitivity, however i definately needed more volume for rockets.

May 24, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,153 of 3,535
I am not mad at the sound, but the comfort actually. For the past few weeks it's been such a pain to fit these rockets comfortably and strangely the right ear will not even fit and stay on despite different sizes. I tried different earphones and they fit both my ears. Weird.

But onto the possibly change. I think the JVCs will fit much better and has more interesting features for me. Not to mention sound may be an upgrade for my tastes.

How is the silicone spiral tips comfort wise? And do you know of any way to get the best size for me? Like are both tip sizes the same? Currently using the Small size tip (ever since I got them).
Hi,

They're similar in size to the wide-bore tips that come with other JVC in-ears- compared to the aurisonics tips, mediums are slightly smaller diameter, about the same height, the stem extends to the bottom of the flange (holds the body out a bit further) where on the Aurisonic tips the stem is recessed a bit, the JVC stem is a bit more stiff while the flange is thinner. Between the thin flange and the material type (I don't mind the aurisonics weird pvc tubing material but it makes my ears itch a bit) I find them a lot more comfortable, not quite as comfortable as sony hybrid tips. My ears are shallow or something so I tend to use medium or large tips that will seal in the outer-area, at least with these kind of IEM s like the JVC and rockets that have wide nozzles (jvcs are shallow fit anyway)- With the 850s i'm currently using Audio-Technica tips that are a bit longer and have a really thick stem which I find helps since they're rather large/heavy, they do affect the sound a bit (narrower bore than the dots).

May 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,154 of 3,535
Quick little mention: went back to the jvc page and scrolled down to see the product comparison of the 850, 1200, and 750. Strangely when looking at the accessories category, it showed that the 1200 specifically had the "spiral dot" earpieces instead of the silicone ones that the 850 and 700 had. But everyone said that the silicone and spiral dots were the same. Weird by JVC to do that.

Quote:

They're similar in size to the wide-bore tips that come with other JVC in-ears- compared to the aurisonics tips, mediums are slightly smaller diameter, about the same height, the stem extends to the bottom of the flange (holds the body out a bit further) where on the Aurisonic tips the stem is recessed a bit, the JVC stem is a bit more stiff while the flange is thinner. Between the thin flange and the material type (I don't mind the aurisonics weird pvc tubing material but it makes my ears itch a bit) I find them a lot more comfortable, not quite as comfortable as sony hybrid tips. My ears are shallow or something so I tend to use medium or large tips that will seal in the outer-area, at least with these kind of IEM s like the JVC and rockets that have wide nozzles (jvcs are shallow fit anyway)- With the 850s i'm currently using Audio-Technica tips that are a bit longer and have a really thick stem which I find helps since they're rather large/heavy, they do affect the sound a bit (narrower bore than the dots).

I see. I found the rocket's sureseal tips to be "tacky" and stick on to many things. It has this funky rubbery sticky feel which I don't really like. It also attracts a LOT of dust and such. Realized that they look really cloudy after about a few months of use since I got them which kinda turns me off (just noticed this after one of my lost tips was found by my mom in the house). I will still continue to look around for tips and such, including that AT tip you mentioned.
tough as i like both, but kept the jvc. I like bassier sounds too. I have larger ears so with the linum cable the jvc is very comfortable. I wear them in gym often, more weight lifting than running, so the bass is welcome.the original cable was heavy and kept "catching" on my shirt and tugging the housing loose, but i cant recommend the linum baX cable enough, so thin and light. I do miss the microdetailing of the Rockets at times, but jvc is good enough at it, and as i mentioned the jvc is very lively and energetic which is great for gym. Also jvc is easier to drive although on paper they seem to pretty similar in sensitivity, however i definitely needed more volume for rockets.

This is nice to hear. I looked into that linum bax cable. Which version fits the 850s? The T2 or the MMCX? 

May 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,161 of 3,535

I see. I found the rocket's sureseal tips to be "tacky" and stick on to many things. It has this funky rubbery sticky feel which I don't really like. It also attracts a LOT of dust and such. Realized that they look really cloudy after about a few months of use since I got them which kinda turns me off (just noticed this after one of my lost tips was found by my mom in the house). I will still continue to look around for tips and such, including that AT tip you mentioned.

This is nice to hear. I looked into that linum bax cable. Which version fits the 850s? The T2 or the MMCX? 

Yeah i've noticed that too... pick up a lot of pocket lint and such... maybe it helps clean our ears lol.... Idk if the ATH-IM tips are worth seeking out, I think the consensus is that they are not good or comfortable tips, I just happen to find their extra sturdiness useful sometimes.

I've gotten extra spiral dots through 3rd party exporters on amazon too- they come with 3 pair a box, shipping is a bit slow, took mine almost a month... I like them, idk if its worth the extra cost over generic tips- head-fi should recruit some inveterate tip roller with time and money to spare to do one of those large comparison posts with all the generic brands on Amazon.

May 25, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,163 of 3,535
tip rollers, that'd help for this complicated hobby.

Only spiral dots on amazon are large and I don't want to wait for a month for them on ebay for my size.

I think ill get comply tips while i wait for offers for the rockets. Now i gotta decide if i want comfort or isolation and then which version (100-500).

May 25, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #3,164 of 3,535
  I think you're out of luck. Don't believe they come in extra large. 

confused_face.gif

May 26, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #3,165 of 3,535

I would need XL to see if it fixes my fit/seal issue with Dunu Titan 1 on my left ear.

Never saw the XL either, myself. I've big ears too, and the Spiral Dot L is generally fine for me (which would mean, if it isn't for you, that your problem is, unfortunately, bigger than mine:))...

My main go-to tips are the Sony Hybrids LL and the JVC Spiral Dot L, depending on earphone. On the Titan 1, in particular, the Sony Hybrid LL sounds better, to my ears, than the Spiral Dots

You do know this thread, yes? http://www.head-fi.org/t/697211/big-eared-people-unite

Though I've tried most of those tips, and my ears still prefer, on the whole, either the Sonys or the Spiral Dots, YMMV, you never know:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back