The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 15, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #3,121 of 3,535
  how durable would you guys say of the FX 750/850 ? With its wooden case I have a little concern of carrying it around during travels.

Though I wouldn't be too concerned about the durability of the wooden enclosures themselves, the brass end caps are quite easily subject to scratches and dents.
When traveling it's best to keep them in the carrying case or keep each side in two different shirt pockets. 

May 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,123 of 3,535
I am going to buy portable AMP for those and do not know which one is better - Cayin C5 or Aune B1. Some good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard the B1, but the Cayin is fantastic. I use it with my DX50. It works well with the FX850 especially if you have a neutral source. What is your source if you don't mind me asking?

May 17, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #3,124 of 3,535
I haven't heard the B1, but the Cayin is fantastic. I use it with my DX50. It works well with the FX850 especially if you have a neutral source. What is your source if you don't mind me asking?

+1 on the Cayin C5. 

I use it with the FiiO X5 and it pairs well, though the volume on the Cayin has to be set very low using the LO input of the X5.  The Cayin C5 bass boost is a nice feature along with the option to use the power-out port to charge other devices.  Using an amplifier with your source LO will give you many more hours of battery life.

May 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,126 of 3,535

Not at all, the sources are my Phone - Sony Xperia V (aka LT25i) and Notebook - Lenovo X220.

Hmm, I don't really know what sound signature the DAC of those devices has. I can tell you the C5 is very musical, so it pairs even better with a neutral sounding source.

May 18, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #3,129 of 3,535
Are they unreliable enough to justify going for the FX750 instead?

May 18, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #3,130 of 3,535
Can anybody tell me how to tighten up cable connector on my 850's. I find as I move my head the connector is momentarily stressed and looses the signal. Very annoying on an otherwise brilliant piece of equipment....

I too have had some nightmares with the original MMCX connectors loosening on my Shure SE215s and SE215LTDs... once replaced I never had the problem again on either one, strange.

Are they unreliable enough to justify going for the FX750 instead?

Yes! The FX750s cables (as well as shell casings) are much lower profile and thinner.  If one is mindful and takes care of them I don't see any reason why the cables will not last the life of the iem.

May 18, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,131 of 3,535
Yes, I also have the Fx750 and obviously no problems with them as its a fixed cable.....but the 850 is a sonic improvement so I'd like to try to solve the problem of the dodgy connector. I feel as though a tap with the correct tool might tighten up the joint...although it's all very small down the connector hole and the wrong type of tap might end in disaster ?anybody got any experience of this? Now let me see, where's my lump hammer......

May 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,132 of 3,535
Hey, how do you like these cables? I need a cable with mic, iphone controls with the mmcx connector. Are these cables still available, I couldn't find them on ebay. 

Quote:
  These are AWESOME!  I am selling off my PFE232's, IE80's, and KEF M200's as they just aren't necessary.  I'm keeping my FA-4E-XB's as my BA go-to, but these JVC compliment them so well.  This forum turned me onto them, and I'm very grateful :).  
I found a cable that's been treating me great when using for my phone.  I found it from eBay from Lunashops (cheap), but works with iPhone and Android and allows for the drop-straight-down connection that these have, where as I've found going around the ear is a little awkward.

May 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,133 of 3,535

I've tried others with remotes that broke quickly, but so far, I've been very happy with this one. You can select a different color, but I'm a blue guy. I found it there when searching fx850 replacement cable blue. When I press share,i got this for a link:

http://r.ebay.com/9VgBtH

May 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,134 of 3,535
Yes, I also have the Fx750 and obviously no problems with them as its a fixed cable.....but the 850 is a sonic improvement so I'd like to try to solve the problem of the dodgy connector. I feel as though a tap with the correct tool might tighten up the joint...although it's all very small down the connector hole and the wrong type of tap might end in disaster ?anybody got any experience of this? Now let me see, where's my lump hammer......

I would try an aftermarket cable. I have heard that usually solves the problem. The left side of mine does that same thing so I am going to order a cable.

May 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3,135 of 3,535
I've tried others with remotes that broke quickly, but so far, I've been very happy with this one. You can select a different color, but I'm a blue guy. I found it there when searching fx850 replacement cable blue. When I press share,i got this for a link:

http://r.ebay.com/9VgBtH

Ok thanks! I just placed an order for the cables, the other colors were sold out unfortunately. How is the fit? Also, how do I properly detach the cables, just pull them off? Or do they screw off?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back