The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Oct 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,011 of 3,535

I ordered the same day. I haven't heard from them yet. Could you keep us updated? I'll post once mine is shipped.

Mine arrived at the doorstep today...so strange

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,012 of 3,535
Ok, I'm feeling lazy... Can't be arsed looking through all the thread... How do these sound with the lowly iPod Classic?:p

I have now evaluated the sound I get from my FX850 combined with my iPod Classic. (BTW, I would definitely not call the iPod classic “lowly”). Well, no problem whatsoever! It sounds absolutely terrific and the iPod Classic can drive the FX850 loud enough, even to painful levels if you’d want to. The level of hiss when not playing music is very, very low, and completely inaudible when playing music. The only caveat is that even a minimum volume level the FX850 won’t be completely silent but continue to sound at low volume. Actually, personally I find this rather convenient. If I want complete silence I just press the pause button instead.

That said, the results I get from my Objective DAC/O2 headphone amplifier are a bit better, but that is only to be expected. Nevertheless, the iPod Classic/FX850 is a very enjoyable and great sounding combination that I can recommend without any reservations.

If you do get to try this combination, please let us know what you think!

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,014 of 3,535
Here’s a FX850 sunshine story for you!

Having waited for weeks to have my FX850 return from repair or being replaced, the anticipation was peaking when I finally put the replacements into my ears. To my great disappointment it didn’t sound the way I remembered it. Well, actually it did, and the channel imbalance was gone (the reason I sent it for repair), but the drivers sounded like they were rattling inside the houses. Not much, actually very, very slightly, but definitely enough to put me off.

I was panicking, and felt that my only option now would be to return it and ask for a refund. Anyway, I tugged the cables, wiped all contacts clean with a new and unused micro fibre cloth, unplugged and re-plugged the cable contact at the earpieces several times, and tried it with different sources and tracks. Nothing helped. I was feeling depressed. This was certainly not what I had hoped for. My only hope now was that it would be a matter of burn in, but as I’d never really believed in the process my hopes were more than low. Anyway, I put it on white stereo noise overnight, and lo and behold, big sigh of relief, in the morning the rattling was gone, completely gone.

So, I’m now one very, very happy FX850 owner, and what a phone it is, what a power house! Anyone else having had this experience?

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,015 of 3,535
Nope. Mine was fine from day one. Lucky me and finger crossed. Glad you got your issues resolve and start enjoying them 850.

I vaguely remember from the FX700 thread that wood driver absorbs moisture and will affect the driver. So, there might be some relevance of this in play with the 850. Just something i though that might be the contributing factors that we should keep in mind.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,016 of 3,535
I picked up a set of these from Amazon.com (shipped from Japan).  I never really liked IEMs before, but wanted a pair for my daily walks to pick up lunch.  I am very impressed with the sound on these, especially the wide soundstage.

I am having an issue with static electricity causing popping sounds in them when I walk around though.  I carry my Cowon in my pocket, and I've done some tests to confirm that the issue is with the headphones and not the player.  Wrapping some electrical tape around the metal portion of the plug seems to have helped significantly, but I still get the issue every now and then.  Does anyone else experience this, or did I get a defective set?

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,017 of 3,535
  I picked up a set of these from Amazon.com (shipped from Japan).  I never really liked IEMs before, but wanted a pair for my daily walks to pick up lunch.  I am very impressed with the sound on these, especially the wide soundstage.

I am having an issue with static electricity causing popping sounds in them when I walk around though.  I carry my Cowon in my pocket, and I've done some tests to confirm that the issue is with the headphones and not the player.  Wrapping some electrical tape around the metal portion of the plug seems to have helped significantly, but I still get the issue every now and then.  Does anyone else experience this, or did I get a defective set?

Strange.  I can't say I've had that experience at all.  Maybe try with different clothes and devices?  If it keeps happening I'd send it back.  FYI - mine were also off of amazon.com (seller: Ace Japan)

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,018 of 3,535
You might have an intermittent defect in the cable - I'd send them in for warranty replacement - this happens every so often with IEM's (and to a lesser degree) headphones.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,019 of 3,535
  You might have an intermittent defect in the cable - I'd send them in for warranty replacement - this happens every so often with IEM's (and to a lesser degree) headphones.

I am still within the return period on Amazon, it is probably easier for me to deal with it on there.  I was under the impression that warranty work on these would be tough since I am in the US and they are only sold in Japan.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,020 of 3,535
  I am still within the return period on Amazon, it is probably easier for me to deal with it on there.  I was under the impression that warranty work on these would be tough since I am in the US and they are only sold in Japan.

AFAIK there was at least one member here who sent them to Japan for warranty (They were from Europe I think) and the warranty was honored. Amazon might be the easier route though.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,021 of 3,535
  Mine arrived at the doorstep today...so strange

Nothing yet. Asked them to cancel the order if not shipped in two days. Customer service keeps saying "We still haven't received any response from the online shop you requested us to order it from." I don't understand this. I just ordered it from their website. I didn't request them to do anything. Weird.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,022 of 3,535

AFAIK there was at least one member here who sent them to Japan for warranty (They were from Europe I think) and the warranty was honored. Amazon might be the easier route though.

I believe you may be referring to me. Bought it from a Japanese eBay seller (Kinnikusuguru - very friendly, fair and service minded) who delivered it to Europe, Sweden. I then returned it (channel imbalance) to the seller (Japan) for warranty repair but got a replacement in the end. I was in contact with JVC in Sweden as I didn't want the long wait, but JVC refused to help me with the motivation that the FX850 isn't available on the European market.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,023 of 3,535
  I believe you may be referring to me. Bought it from a Japanese eBay seller (Kinnikusuguru - very friendly, fair and service minded) who delivered it to Europe, Sweden. I then returned it (channel imbalance) to the seller (Japan) for warranty repair but got a replacement in the end. I was in contact with JVC in Sweden as I didn't want the long wait, but JVC refused to help me with the motivation that the FX850 isn't available on the European market.

Ah thanks for the clarification, lucky you had such a quality seller.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,024 of 3,535
Nothing yet. Asked them to cancel the order if not shipped in two days. Customer service keeps saying "We still haven't received any response from the online shop you requested us to order it from." I don't understand this. I just ordered it from their website. I didn't request them to do anything. Weird.

I actually tried to cancel my order...i was told sorry sir it is a special order and you can't cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back