The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,996 of 3,535

Yeah the fit is the worst I've had.  Probably because I'm in between a large and medium and they seem to have this feeling of always coming out, but the sound is amazing.  I wish I could find full sized cans that sound as good as these.  I've tried the T1, hd650, and ps500e and none sound close to the fx850.  So until I find something that sounds just as good but with better fit, I will continue to use them.

try wearing them over the ear w open jaw before popping them in. one issue of these iem is weight. i use the medium tips and while then fit perfectly snug overear, wearing them straight often result in them pulling out abit on their own, not enough to drop off the ear but enough to break the seal.

same tip but totally different level of seal over and straight.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,997 of 3,535
I find the insertion pretty shallow hence if comply tips can allow for a deeper placement in the canals. Been using the stock spiral dot tips, which do work although they feel like they are coming loose at times.

3 tips that fits well(but all over the ears)

stock midium tips- best balance of sound. bass is extended and vocal and bass well balanced.

comply- highs sits back and bass has similar extension of stock tips but with a warmth envelope over entire sound range. (nice to listen to for a while but gets too much after awhile)

triple flange(bought seperately)-very good seal w greater extension on the highs. lows still extended but quantity reduced noticeably. 

i change them from time to time. sometimes prefer a leaner sound and others a thick rich sound( then its comply with bass boost on the cayin c5)

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,998 of 3,535
  3 tips that fits well(but all over the ears)

stock midium tips- best balance of sound. bass is extended and vocal and bass well balanced.

comply- highs sits back and bass has similar extension of stock tips but with a warmth envelope over entire sound range. (nice to listen to for a while but gets too much after awhile)

triple flange(bought seperately)-very good seal w greater extension on the highs. lows still extended but quantity reduced noticeably.

i change them from time to time. sometimes prefer a leaner sound and others a thick rich sound( then its comply with bass boost on the cayin c5)

Looks like I will be sticking to the spiral dot tips then, especially if complys bloat the bass. Figured I dont need any warming of the signature more than it has now. Have to live with the slightly loose fit in this case.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,000 of 3,535

Did any one order from CDJapan? It's been more than a week and still nothing... I e-mailed them yesterday, still no replies. They're supposed to ship EMS.

I did the same day kalibur posted the link....I already have them but this was cheaper than I paid so I was going to return the others when these came. Communication has not been good.  I emailed them asking if I will get confirmation when they ship, they said yes when we have them I will send them. SO the deal is they don't have them in stock, the lady that handles receiving them and shipping has been on vacation until tomorrow. Maybe you will get a shipping notice then if they have received them. I have no idea.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,001 of 3,535
I ordered from them before I posted the link, they had them in stock hence by the 2nd day they shipped it. No issues whatsoever on my end. I suspect since they are not in stock now, it would take sometime to get them and ship them out to you.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,002 of 3,535
Just an update on e nocturnal silver cable. Took 6 weeks to built n barely used carefully for 6 weeks...one channel is dead. Slight nudge on e cable above e jack brings back e sound but gone when I let go....Diss pointing. ..despite improve in sound dynamics.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,003 of 3,535

Did any one order from CDJapan? It's been more than a week and still nothing... I e-mailed them yesterday, still no replies. They're supposed to ship EMS.

Did you ever hear from CDJapan? My order was placed on Sept.17th...received the my order shipped email yesterday

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,005 of 3,535
  Im torn... I never had any iem's, Should I get the woodys or get the more hi end JH audios

You should try out a pair of Philips SHE3590s first. See if earphones are for you. If so move on from there. You can spend a spectacular amount on earphones only to find out much much later that you actually prefer a cheaper sounding one. I would go great sounding cheap first, find out what type of sound your looking for and go from there. Earphones have all sorts of different sounds. My suggestion to you is. Figure out what type of sound your looking for, for your music and try out a few that meet your criteria.

Or you can spend a lot on what others say is best and hope that you like them the same way.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,006 of 3,535
Using Ortofon tips: a more controlled bass and slightly more intimate vocals
Using 6N OFC HCMX-HF120 cable from Onkyo: Faster and funner bass, but disrupted the soundstage.
Good fit with Ortofon tips, but less so with the Onkyo cable

One of my friends like the FX850 so much that he sold his ATH-IM04

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,008 of 3,535
  Im torn... I never had any iem's, Should I get the woodys or get the more hi end JH audios

I would definitely not get customs if you're unsure of whether you will like IEMs.  I think high end universal IEMs are fine because at least you can resell them if you decide they're not for you.  I would say the FX850s are a great choice because 1) they are all-arounders, meaning that they're good at everything and you don't have to be focused on any one aspect of the headphones or music to enjoy them, and 2) because they're not deep insertion IEMs.  Another option are the Sennheiser IE80s.

Something like the Etymotic ER4 is basically the opposite of what I'm talking about, even if some people here absolutely love them. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,009 of 3,535
Just an update on e nocturnal silver cable. Took 6 weeks to built n barely used carefully for 6 weeks...one channel is dead. Slight nudge on e cable above e jack brings back e sound but gone when I let go....Diss pointing. ..despite improve in sound dynamics.

That seems really awful for the durability, did you try contacting the guys at Nocturnal Audio?

(P.S. I am not exactly gentle with my 93spec, but its still going strong and the synergy is splendid as usual.)

It would be better if you had access to auditioning both of the iems in question.

I happened to have both FX850 (on 93spec silver cable) and the JH13 Freqphase (on 93pc copper cable). The two of them don't exactly overtake one another for my scenario.

Basically FX850 is my lunching iem (you wouldn't want to grab a bite with the 13s jacked in to your ear, the microphonics from all the munching will overshadow your music, at least it happens to me)

While it also remains as the preferred social iem when i am on the way home with my colleagues (need to make sure i can mingle with them comfortably amidst my music and gaming on-the-go when necessary)

Overall on a basis of Sound Quality vs Practicality, both are definitely keepers for me, its best to understand your audio preferences first before you decided to get either of them.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,010 of 3,535
That seems really awful for the durability, did you try contacting the guys at Nocturnal Audio?

(P.S. I am not exactly gentle with my 93spec, but its still going strong and the synergy is splendid as usual.)
It would be better if you had access to auditioning both of the iems in question.

I happened to have both FX850 (on 93spec silver cable) and the JH13 Freqphase (on 93pc copper cable). The two of them don't exactly overtake one another for my scenario.

Basically FX850 is my lunching iem (you wouldn't want to grab a bite with the 13s jacked in to your ear, the microphonics from all the munching will overshadow your music, at least it happens to me)

While it also remains as the preferred social iem when i am on the way home with my colleagues (need to make sure i can mingle with them comfortably amidst my music and gaming on-the-go when necessary)

Overall on a basis of Sound Quality vs Practicality, both are definitely keepers for me, its best to understand your audio preferences first before you decided to get either of them.

Yeah...looks sturdy but weak. Going to contact them soon. Dunno how long they going to take to repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back