The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 18, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #1,846 of 3,535
For the FX850, are they worth twice the money from the Doppios. I rarely use IEMs anymore cos I still prefer the sound of full size cans,  but the FX850s are so handsome and its only 270usd in Japan. The Doppio is only 105usd though.

As for the SZ2000, just curious to hear how low they can go, perhaps will test them out first. I do like the k551s for general music but tend to gravitate back to the hd650. So was thinking of getting something different for gaming, movies & EDM perhaps. 

dunno abt zero audio but one aspect of e 850 that makes is sound impressive is it sounds open n big like headphones than iems.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,847 of 3,535
For the FX850, are they worth twice the money from the Doppios. I rarely use IEMs anymore cos I still prefer the sound of full size cans,  but the FX850s are so handsome and its only 270usd in Japan. The Doppio is only 105usd though.

As for the SZ2000, just curious to hear how low they can go, perhaps will test them out first. I do like the k551s for general music but tend to gravitate back to the hd650. So was thinking of getting something different for gaming, movies & EDM perhaps. 

If you're not using them much then I wouldn't recommend dropping $300 on something you'd only use once in awhile. But it's your money, so try them both out before you decide, there should be demos out on display. One thing I can say is the timbre and subtle highs on the 850s need to be heard to be believed.

The SZ2000s can indeed take a beating so if it's for general use they should do fine. I'd stick with you current cans tbh, L2 and HD650 both have great imaging and soundstage for gaming and movies

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,848 of 3,535
If you're not using them much then I wouldn't recommend dropping $300 on something you'd only use once in awhile. But it's your money, so try them both out before you decide, there should be demos out on display. One thing I can say is the timbre and subtle highs on the 850s need to be heard to be believed.

The SZ2000s can indeed take a beating so if it's for general use they should do fine. I'd stick with you current cans tbh, L2 and HD650 both have great imaging and soundstage for gaming and movies

Thanks for the advice, its just that I might take on a new job which requires me to commute daily. So its planning ahead I guess. I hope they have both for audition.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,849 of 3,535
Thanks for the advice, its just that I might take on a new job which requires me to commute daily. So its planning ahead I guess. I hope they have both for audition.

Purely on the need for commuting, I'd say the Doppio or Singulos, which has better isolation. Or even one of the FAD Heavens (V or VI).

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #1,850 of 3,535
God, never can get enough of these wood beauties. The soundstage for an IEM always amazes me. One of my favorite albums on these is Submotion Orchestra - Finest Hour, absolutely superb with these. I couldn't be any more happy with these for my pop stuff.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,851 of 3,535
These things are great. I haven't bought anything lately that exceeded my expectations, but these certainly have. I have no idea how they scale (using iPhone or my Emotiva DC-1 headphone out), but I'll eventually get a powerful, portable AMP (prob balanced) but am a bit skeptical on if it'll be worth it all sonically. Regardless, solid buy!

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,852 of 3,535
You guys are looking for a good portable amp. Give the new Cayin C5 some serious consideration. You can read more about them on the Cayin C5 thread. Great synergy with the FX850 and any other iems and cans you got. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house

This amp is very new to the scene and I took a chance on it but I can't stop telling guys about how amazing this amp is. It is powerful and the best part of it is that is sounds stupendous out of everything I tried it on including the FX850.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,853 of 3,535
Dsnuts, don't go making me spend more money! I took a chance and trusted your review of the 850 and now I feel obligated to try this Cayin amp! Are you some talented shill?
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,854 of 3,535
Could be. Lol. Na I like finding the good stuff..I keep tabs on my threads so when someone mentions they need a portable amp. What is the chance that this amp is the newest part of my ever growing amp collection that so happens to be what you guys are talking about.  There should be more impressions of the amp very soon..I know I started the thread but you guys judge for yourself always. If you like the stuff I like. Then we got something in common.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,856 of 3,535
Haven't tried balanced myself so I can't say.. I use my DX90 connected to the C5 and it sounds world class to my ears..I don't find myself wanting ot needing much after this combo..

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #1,859 of 3,535
Hi there! Firstly, thanks for the thread, I was really enjoying read all of it with all its amazing findings about this woodies.
I have got my own FX850 and it is what I have searched for.
Now I gonna buy AMP for it and I kinda desperate and do not know which is best for the woodies. The source will be either my phone (xperia v) either my notebook (Lenovo X220).
I am not basshead so it is not very important for me, clarity is. Please advise me which one is better for my needs:

ICan Micro
Objective2+ODAC Combo
Cayin C5
Big thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,860 of 3,535
Haven't tried with the O2 Odac but I do constantly use the other two.. Both are completely worth the money to get them. Also if you want one to use out and about the C5 is a portable unit and can be charged while listening to it so it can be used at home as well. The ICAN Micro is a desktop only but is a flawless sounding amp to my ears. You have to figure out what you want to use the amp for and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back