The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,801 of 3,535
Honestly in terms of isolation the FX850 don't really isolate well. They do ok but the bass itself is playing a roll in this. They are an open design and it is what it is. But for an open design they do have "decent" isolation.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,805 of 3,535
  anyone with a comparison FX850 vs Final Audio Design Heaven V? Are they similar?
the price difference is not that big and both are made in Japan.

Quite different sounding but both are detailed and spacious.  You will lose some bass quantity with the V but it doesn't lack any.  V will give you more forward vocals and it's some of the best in vocal reproduction.  Both do really well in the treble region.  I honestly don't think either will disappoint.  850 bigger bass and added sub-bass, more out of head experience.  V has more linear response and is still quite warm sounding to please the musical type of sound lover.  V will sound faster because the bass sounds better controlled.  

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,806 of 3,535
Probably because the JVC's have a vented design. They are like earbuds with a little bit more isolation.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,807 of 3,535
Slightly off topic, but am looking for a small DAC/Amp to use this with on my desktop to pair with these FX850.  No tubes and must be smaller than the Schiit bifrost and valhalla that I just put up for sale.  I do have a RSA The Predator, but that's really more for portable use although I will use it in the meantime.   And must be under $1,000 usd. I  wish I could get a chord hugo, but I just bought something rather big so i can't go nuts on a dac/amp.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,808 of 3,535
The 850's are the only pair of IEMs I have that my daughter has told me she could hear my music from the hall outside my office - the sound leak is part and parcel of the 850 experience - they are for all intents and purposes, an open can....

I love `em 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #1,810 of 3,535
  Quite different sounding but both are detailed and spacious.  You will lose some bass quantity with the V but it doesn't lack any.  V will give you more forward vocals and it's some of the best in vocal reproduction.  Both do really well in the treble region.  I honestly don't think either will disappoint.  850 bigger bass and added sub-bass, more out of head experience.  V has more linear response and is still quite warm sounding to please the musical type of sound lover.  V will sound faster because the bass sounds better controlled.  

thanks a lot! it's hard to find someone, who has both of these wonderful phones.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,811 of 3,535
  The 850's are the only pair of IEMs I have that my daughter has told me she could hear my music from the hall outside my office - the sound leak is part and parcel of the 850 experience - they are for all intents and purposes, an open can....

I love `em 
biggrin.gif

Strange, mine doesn't really leak at all with complys. I've tested on some household members and I can't really hear anyhting unless it's at 12am and theyre right next to you lol

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,812 of 3,535
So the FX850's don't isolate as well as the H3's and also leak more sound. So not really a commuting IEM then? Probably best stick to the H3 I guess...

He's probably listening pretty loud or his daughter has really good hearing :wink:. I doubt the noise leakage would be an issue for most people. It isn't like an open can in that regards.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,813 of 3,535
I am looking for a new IEM for my OTG system (DX50 / iBasso P4). My musical tastes extend to classical (esp. Shostakovich and Wagner) and jazz. My favourite full size cans (both driven by the Audio-gd SA-31SE) are the HE-500 (open) and DT48E (sealed).

I currently have a number of IEMs, but have issues with all of them:

GR07 - great soundstage but grainy and slightly sibilant treble, and they are terribly uncomfortable (more than 5 mins is impossible)

Ety HF5 - excellent detail and clarity, but little bass and no soundstage. Also, I dislike IEMs which require deep insertion.

Shure SE425 - good soundstage and resolution, but sound a little "soft" and "slow". Midrange timbre could be better. Same comfort issues as the Etys.

FAD Adagio III - the best soundstage, almost like full-size open cans. Very comfortable due to shallow insertion. Issues, however, with bass bloat, a recessed midrange and a searing treble. Also, isolation could be better (high frequencies are not attenuated).

I will be travelling to Tokyo for a brief vacation in October, and am considering either the FX850 or the FAD Heaven c. Which of these is more likely to be what I am looking for? What should I expect to pay in a bricks-and-mortar store such as e-Earphone?

Finally, would the FX850s provide enough isolation to use in-flight (this is not critical, I'm just interested to know).

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,814 of 3,535
He's probably listening pretty loud or his daughter has really good hearing :wink:. I doubt the noise leakage would be an issue for most people. It isn't like an open can in that regards.

This. The FX850s sound is just so detailed that you rarely need to up the volume to hear everything in a song. In fact, my hearing volume has reduced by about 5-10% when I use them compared to my budget ones like the Kc06a or S2.

CJG888 I'd say the 850s treble is a little more controlled, not as grainy as the GR07. Soundstage, the 850's flat out wins. But if you read the review in page one, the 850s also has quite a bit of bass. It's not bloated, but some might now like it.

Fit is good, I have yet to find someone who has difficulty putting them on. It's shallow insertion due to the large housing, can't exactly stuff that in your ears.

Haven't heard the Heaven C so I'll refrain from this part, but I do like some orchestral music and my woodies has handled every track I have rather amiably. The large soundstage, the deep rumble, the crystal clear highs and that timbre all comes together for quite the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back