The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,696 of 3,535
I just suddenly remembered that I am still waiting for Leo888 to drop a visit to my workplace when he's free so we will have a second opinion here regarding the FX850 with 93spec, while I am also looking forward to try out his Nocturnal Hybrid Cables too.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,697 of 3,535
I just suddenly remembered that I am still waiting for Leo888 to drop a visit to my workplace when he's free so we will have a second opinion here regarding the FX850 with 93spec, while I am also looking forward to try out his Nocturnal Hybrid Cables too.

Will need to find time kendric. Haha, family man life. I hope we can do that soon.

Didn't get a proper fit with my hybrid cable due to the pre molded memory wire so can't really make any comments. So far, it's doing well for my shure and might give the 4 conductor Hydra V2 a go and see how it works out. There is a revision with the built to achieve as close to the old version 8 conductor I have.

Right now, stock cable and Rocco BA with the 850 is sounding plenty good for me. Also, I'm limiting myself with the outlay for cable and save up for some dac and amp.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,698 of 3,535
http://www.tenso.com/en/   - It's a forwarding service. You make a free account with them and verify your identity. To do so, simply scan or take a picture of your drivers license and use ms paint to cover up any important information. They just need to see address and name really. I cut out everything else and they accepted it. Then you can shop at places like Amazon.jp. Tenso gives you their warehouse address with a unique ID number associated with your account to use at Amazon.jp (or whatever other Japanese website). When you buy something, it is shipped to them. They process it and have you verify it before shipping it out to you. They charge a fee for their service. It would be pretty expensive to buy just the tips due to the fee. It is best to buy fairly bulk or multiple items at a time to justify the fee. It roughly runs about $15, but depends. All this is explained on their website. Good luck. 
damn this sounds like quite the hassle, is there no other sellers that ship directly to USA

Thank you though

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,700 of 3,535
  Just a warning for others, the screen/filter/dust cover came off one side of my FX850. They're attached with a small amount of glue and seem to come off easy, I tried using a cover from another IEM but it darkened the sound so I ditched it. Two questions: 

1. Does anyone know a good way to replace it?

2. Do you think it'll be fine without the protection? I don't want to damage the driver in the long-term, so I'm just a bit concerned. I feel like they shouldn't come off so easy, though.

I was wondering about this as well.  One of mine fell out when cleaning it a bit, however I was able to put it back in and has staying there since.  Just wondering about what to do later down the road.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,701 of 3,535
I was wondering about this as well.  One of mine fell out when cleaning it a bit, however I was able to put it back in and has staying there since.  Just wondering about what to do later down the road.

Did you guys happen to be cleaning with rubbing alcohol? Just curious. That would probably be the culprit if you did.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,702 of 3,535
Did you guys happen to be cleaning with rubbing alcohol? Just curious. That would probably be the culprit if you did.

Mine fell out randomly, it's presumably on my floor somewhere but I'm unsure where. I'm going to look thoroughly for it, but I'm not confident I'll find it. The glue seems 'soft', or rather I was able to push another dust filter in it and it stuck and also remove it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,705 of 3,535
I'm also interested in a comparison

I've done a pretty comprehensive comparison between the H3 and FX850 a couple of months back on this forum. You can try looking for it.

To get to the point though, the FX850 has harder hitting bass, better control and is more prominent compared to the H3, definitely bass heavy. The H3 can reach a bit deeper in the subbass region and has longer bass note decay (as expected with the 13mm sub-woofer) but that's about it, the lacks of impact and control is quite a disadvantage (even with the tape mod). The FX850 wins hands down in the bass department, imho. The FX850 WILL sounds bass heavy at first, but is tamed down over time as your ears get used to it.

Also, the FX850's mids are more forward and the treble extends more compared to the H3 too. The H3 has better separations and speed (also, as expected of the BA drivers). As result, the H3 sounds too mellow and too clinical for my taste. I'm into more "fun" sounding phones while still having that high resolution quality to it.

For me, the only logical and sensible choice would be the FX850.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,706 of 3,535
I've done a pretty comprehensive comparison between the H3 and FX850 a couple of months back on this forum. You can try looking for it.

To get to the point though, the FX850 has harder hitting bass, better control and is more prominent compared to the H3, definitely bass heavy. The H3 can reach a bit deeper in the subbass region and has longer bass note decay (as expected with the 13mm sub-woofer) but that's about it, the lacks of impact and control is quite a disadvantage (even with the tape mod). The FX850 wins hands down in the bass department, imho. The FX850 WILL sounds bass heavy at first, but is tamed down over time as your ears get used to it.

Also, the FX850's mids are more forward and the treble extends more compared to the H3 too. The H3 has better separations and speed (also, as expected of the BA drivers). As result, the H3 sounds too mellow and too clinical for my taste. I'm into more "fun" sounding phones while still having that high resolution quality to it.

For me, the only logical and sensible choice would be the FX850.
I wouldn't call the h3 mellow at all. I listen to plenty of metal with it and I can say it gets pretty nasty man

It downright shreds to be honest, mellow is more like my srh840

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,708 of 3,535
You may want to try out the Nocturnal Audio for your price range or stretch your budget a little and reach for the 93spec!

Nocturnal Audio:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702242/nocturnal-audio-custom-headphone-cables

http://store.treoo.com/main/shop-by-brand/n/nocturnal-audio.html

93spec:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628560/updated-with-impressions-new-silver-iem-cable-93spec

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636431/review-93spec-silver-custom-iem-cable-by-stage93

Hope these helps!

Wow nocturnal cables are really cheap.  I'm thinking about the hybrid 8 wire.  Or do you have a prediction of which one will match up well with the FX850?

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,709 of 3,535
Wow nocturnal cables are really cheap.  I'm thinking about the hybrid 8 wire.  Or do you have a prediction of which one will match up well with the FX850?

Hmm I have not tried their cables myself but if you're not a basshead and always doesn't mind wanting FX850 to sound a tad more cleaner, either Acrux 8-conductor or your Hydra 8-conductor should do the job. ☺

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,710 of 3,535
While you should get the cable that you want, 8 conductors is a bit excessive for an earphone that is already considered a little heavy.

Add to that the fact that these generally have a shallower fit. The weight is more likely to pull them out unless you plan to wear them over the ear.

There are no added sonic benefits to adding additional conductors as long as it meets the capacitance requirements.
Having 8 is just for style.

These are just a few things to consider before making your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back