The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,351 of 3,535
It blows away any of my old Sennheiser (IE8/80) cases - talk about titz on a bull....

I find the IE80 case is horrible. Last week I picked up 4 Pelican 1010 cases, 3 clear and 1 yellow. I wish I would have gotten all 4 in clear. It makes it easy to see if you are going to pinch a wire when closing the case. The pelican cases are the perfect size. I just wind the cable around my hand and then it fits well.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,352 of 3,535
Is it safe to order from AJ?

http://www.accessoryjack.com/jvc-ha-fx850-hi-res-audio-flagship-wood-dome-unit-in-ear-headphones-wooden.html

$350 + shipping

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,354 of 3,535
Think I got mine from them,definitely bought headphones there, no problems.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,355 of 3,535
Hi,

The FX850 seem to be getting awesome reviews, and I have a few questions to help in my decision.

How comfortable are these cable down?

How do they compare to the Dunu DN1000?

How do they compare to the Tralucent 1plus2 (or Ref 1)?

Is the driver fast enough for heavy metal?

Thank you.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,356 of 3,535
  Hi,

The FX850 seem to be getting awesome reviews, and I have a few questions to help in my decision.

How comfortable are these cable down?

How do they compare to the Dunu DN1000?

How do they compare to the Tralucent 1plus2 (or Ref 1)?

Is the driver fast enough for heavy metal?

Thank you.

Everything you are asking is subjective to some extent.

They are comfortable for me and I normally don't like wearing IEMs down. I don't have such issues with the FX850s.

I don't have the Dunu so not sure.

They really don't compare to the 1Plus2. They are in different leagues which it really isn't a fair comparison. But for the money the FX850s do hit pretty high IMO.

The 850s are pretty good all-arounders. They aren't slow by any means. I think they do pretty good with heavy metal.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,357 of 3,535

If only my girlfriend knew how excited I am, I'd be in trouble.
p.s
I told her they cost 150
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,359 of 3,535
Hahah i feel dirty. I usually don't lie.

So, I was wondering, my portable source will be the clip+ but I feel it won't do the woodies justice. I was thinking HTC M8/Galaxy S5/  or one of the iBasso/Fiio variants. Any thoughts?

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,360 of 3,535

So, I was wondering, my portable source will be the clip+ but I feel it won't do the woodies justice. I was thinking HTC M8/Galaxy S5/  or one of the iBasso/Fiio variants. Any thoughts?

If you're going smartphone, then the Note3 gets good reviews on its output and overall clarity.

For DAP, you will have to listen to them to find one you will like. Fiio tend to have a warmer signature, and Basso is more neutral. If you plan on running just a DAP, then maybe not the DX50 as people in the appreciation thread seems to not like the built-in amp.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,361 of 3,535
Just got the mail and 5 pairs of large Comply TS-500 foams... The seal my apparently huge ear canal perfectly - and I am now hearing all the 850 can be.... It is one hell of an IEM - although I knew that, because I could get a seal on occasion before - but not consistently... The TS is wider that the T500 by almost a whole millimeter (a big number in ear terms)

I got the large Monster Foams at the end of last week - they work with some of my longer nozzle IEMs, but couldn't quite cut it with the JVC's... But the TS has fit the bill!

I thought I might end up selling these - or save them for my son (but he wouldn't appreciate them at 15 - he might like the bass, but he would put them in his pocket with keys and coins - I'd have a coronary)

Isolation is still so-so, but that is a given with these phones - the ear canal is sealed - but the vent lets a lot of noise in - but when playing at volume, I can't tell - that is how they achieve the sound they do - it is like an open-back can...

Put your finger on the end of the IEM when nothing is playing - you can tell the outside sound drops dramatically...

Great, great headphones - but they are what they are...

(Listening to Sublime and the bass notes are bloody loooow)

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,362 of 3,535
  Unfortunately I had to file a claim through Amazon today as it looks like the FX850 are not going to show up
confused.gif
 After trying to contact the seller twice, as well as Amazon trying to contact the seller on my behalf, I haven't heard anything back in about 4 days now.  For some reason it seems the package was deliver and signed for in Vacaville California U.S.A. and I live in Alberta, Canada.  I figure if the seller wanted to make it right they would have contacted me back by now.  This was also a seller with no feedback and now they have 100% negative feedback.

So I guess I won't be joining the woody club for a while
frown.gif
 as I don't have the time to re-order now.

I just wanted to update that the seller came through and sent me new FX-850's and I received them today
smily_headphones1.gif
  They are a really nice looking earphones, as well as a very nice job in packaging from JVC.  The bass is a little overpowering so far (about 15 minutes of use)  but I'm sure as others have said they will settle down with a little break-in, even now the bass is starting to grown on me with a little brain burn in. I don't even think I get this much bass with my SE-846:)

Dave.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,363 of 3,535
Doing a quick poll as I being measuring and cutting the cable I'm making for the 850. Using Plussound SPC with clear teflon. I was going to leave it bare, but I also have a number of micro-paracords on hand that I'm now considering. Here is a bad cell picture.

I'll be cutting while watching GOT. I'll have to either start braiding or start sleeving in the next 15 minutes or so. 
I can do bare, all one color, or mix-and-match. I was leaning towards the burgundy, bare, or kelly green/black. Maybe burgundy/beige, burgundy/black mix would be good also. Hard to decide.
What's your vote?

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,364 of 3,535
I'm a sucker for good solid colors. Burgundy/Black or just plain Black would be nice

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,365 of 3,535

If you're getting a DAP definitely go for the DX90. It's very neutral sounding and will pair very well with your FX850. If you wanna go a little cheaper go for the DX50. Still a great DAC, but the amp isn't nearly as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back