The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #993 of 3,535

Cheers!!!

I'm curious of how the FX650 sound. I bet it still is sublime, but in smaller form factor.

I got the FX850 for 278$+20$ shipped. For a custom you'd certainly have to spend a bit more than 300$ (ear impressions on top of the earphones). Cheapest customs at around 300-400$ might get you triple BAs. And even then I'm not sure BAs can compete with a great dynamic driver like the FX850 in term of bass and timbre.

Don't know any custom hybrids around. They might cost a ton though.

The FX850 are $414 shipped to the Netherlands at PJ right now, plus taxes and crap. And the point of detachable cables is the upgradeability. But if you actually would want to upgrade the probably excellent stock cable you're looking at what, $150? So going that route you'll hit $600 pretty soon, and that's customs territory. Sure, not TOTL, but still.

If you don't intend to upgrade, might as well get the FX750. At least, that's what I tell myself.. 
redface.gif

May 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #994 of 3,535

The FX850 are $414 shipped to the Netherlands at PJ right now, plus taxes and crap. And the point of detachable cables is the upgradeability. But if you actually would want to upgrade the probably excellent stock cable you're looking at what, $150? So going that route you'll hit $600 pretty soon, and that's customs territory. Sure, not TOTL, but still.

If you don't intend to upgrade, might as well get the FX750. At least, that's what I tell myself.. 
redface.gif

Ah, I see your from the land of the spinning windmills. But I see your point. At 414 + tax might as well save a bit more and go full custom.

For me the detachable cable offer a sort of security, if the cable is screwed up, I could get a decent replacement MMCX OFC cable for about 50-60$.

But seems like the cable with last a long time though. You'll enjoy your FX750. Absolutely beautiful made IEMs, lighter too.

May 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #995 of 3,535
  Also, as beautiful as they look, l wish JVC offered a less noticeable FX850 color scheme for wearing outside... like black metal on black stained wood would still look great without looking so Gold expensive. But I am nitpicking, these are great iems so far. Sound pretty darn good even with an un-amped iphone 4!!

Definitely. Black stain wood on shiny black metal would look very classy. Black wood on silver would be another great combo.

May 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #997 of 3,535
  Ah, I see your from the land of the spinning windmills. But I see your point. At 414 + tax might as well save a bit more and go full custom.

For me the detachable cable offer a sort of security, if the cable is screwed up, I could get a decent replacement MMCX OFC cable for about 50-60$.

But seems like the cable with last a long time though. You'll enjoy your FX750. Absolutely beautiful made IEMs, lighter too.

Hehe.. Yup, spinning windmills and wooden shoes, that's me. Which is also why I also need some wooden IEM's... 
biggrin.gif

A replaceable cable could be a plus, but if I screwed it up that would probably be at the connector...

Anyway, can't wait to hear them. And see them, too. 

Definitely. Black stain wood on shiny black metal would look very classy. Black wood on silver would be another great combo.

My vote goes to buckeye burl with brushed alumin(i)um! 

May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #998 of 3,535

Hehe.. Yup, spinning windmills and wooden shoes, that's me. Which is also why I also need some wooden IEM's... 
biggrin.gif

A replaceable cable could be a plus, but if I screwed it up that would probably be at the connector...

Anyway, can't wait to hear them. And see them, too. 

My vote goes to buckeye burl with brushed alumin(i)um! 

Haha, you're right, we must learn from mochill's tragedy (he pulled the mmcx somehow)

Buckeye burl + brush aluminum =
eek.gif

May 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #999 of 3,535
If anyone's interested, I posted two.5 seperate comparisons. 
MA900 and FX850
MA900, DT880 and FX850. Feel free to check them out, might be worth reading for those of you still wondering whether or not you should go for the FX850.

May 16, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,001 of 3,535
Anyone compared these to IE80? I love my IE80s but I would like to have a little better sub-bass extension.

May 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,003 of 3,535
Quick question, after "burn in" for one whole week (i just let the woodie continuously playing on my Fiio X3).

I notice some very unpleasant sound when i watch this video, not sure is it because of the bad recording or is my woodie is broken.

Try listen from 0:31 - 0:38, there are some humming sound. It seems like the woodie diaphragm can't handle it or is it what the music suppose to sounds like?!!
blink.gif

May 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,004 of 3,535
  Quick question, after "burn in" for one whole week (i just let the woodie continuously playing on my Fiio X3).

I notice some very unpleasant sound when i watch this video, not sure is it because of the bad recording or is my woodie is broken.

Try listen from 0:31 - 0:38, there are some humming sound. It seems like the woodie diaphragm can't handle it or is it what the music suppose to sounds like?!!
blink.gif

Just tried it, if what you're describing is a humming, sort of static like sound, then I hear it too. It's the way it's supposed to be.

And there are statistic that points out burn in don't do much to the technicalities of your iems, the burn in sound be done by actually listening to your iems, thus letting your brain adapt to the sound. That's what I think. And my FX850 bass has tamed down quite a bit, a pleasant mental change (that, or that we could have lost our hearing due to sledgehammering bass, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back