The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 15, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #976 of 3,535
Also, as beautiful as they look, l wish JVC offered a less noticeable FX850 color scheme for wearing outside... like black metal on black stained wood would still look great without looking so Gold expensive. But I am nitpicking, these are great iems so far. Sound pretty darn good even with an un-amped iphone 4!!

May 15, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #978 of 3,535
  There's nothing more frustrating than good sounding iems that keep falling off. I can't deal with that sort of inconvenience.
The FX850 aren't bad but it took me a couple days to get used to them. Mainly because I'm used to wearing tiny iems over the ears. Unfortunately, the connector stems are just too long for me (I actually might take a 1/4" off with an exacto knife). But they are fine when worn down, I just wasn't used to it.

May be you could replace the cable and since the strain reliefs are shorter, you can put the wire over the ear?

They are quite heavy 10 grams vs 8 grams (H3). Plus the cable themselves weight quite a bit. Personally I'm having great fit and the durable cable is welcomed too.

May 15, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #979 of 3,535
Yes, I ordered some smaller Shure MMCX adaptors to try make my own cable.
I wish JVC offered stock replacement cable. I like it a lot, very strong and flexible with no microphonics.
The built quality of the FX850 is truly top class, down to the smallest details like the minijack. It really made the RE600 look cheap in comparison.

May 15, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #980 of 3,535
Yes, I ordered some smaller Shure MMCX adaptors to try make my own cable.
I wish JVC offered stock replacement cable. I like it a lot, very strong and flexible with no microphonics.
The built quality of the FX850 is truly top class, down to the smallest details like the minijack. It really made the RE600 look cheap in comparison.
because the re600 is cheap in comparison, honestly, it looks like something you could buy at a walmart.

May 15, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #981 of 3,535
RE600 do look kinda generic but they sound really good. I didn't mind the fact they looked ordinary but the strain relief were weak. The plastic was too thin and flexible at the junction with the housing and many reported that they eventually broke. Mine were starting to bend after 8 months so I reinforced the junctions with 4 coats of superglue. It totally fixed it and made them very rigid and strong. I'm pretty sure they will never have any problems now but for those who don't know, it's only a matter of time before one strain relief breaks. Such a design flaw for $399 is quite a miss in my opinion (although Hifiman has the best customer service I have experienced)... Fortunately the FX850 seem to be build to last, they are tanks in comparison!

May 15, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #982 of 3,535
After much deliberation I finally ordered the 750's from Pricejapan.

It's actually the detachable cable that stopped me from getting the 850's... I think it could potentially be the first place where they would break, those huge connectors would probably make it difficult to wear them over ear and there's of course the price difference... At about $150 more + the cost of a better cable than the one provided and I might as well get customs...

I also ordered the Sony PHA-2 (only saw that nifty little JVC amp about an hour after i placed my order of course..) and some extra spiral eartips. Too bad it's those sold out eartips that delay the order by about two weeks. I do wonder where they all went...
rolleyes.gif

Can't wait to finally hear that woody goodness though. I really wonder how they will sound out of the NWZ-ZX1 and what they will do for extreme music...

May 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #990 of 3,535
  After much deliberation I finally ordered the 750's from Pricejapan.

It's actually the detachable cable that stopped me from getting the 850's... I think it could potentially be the first place where they would break, those huge connectors would probably make it difficult to wear them over ear and there's of course the price difference... At about $150 more + the cost of a better cable than the one provided and I might as well get customs...

I also ordered the Sony PHA-2 (only saw that nifty little JVC amp about an hour after i placed my order of course..) and some extra spiral eartips. Too bad it's those sold out eartips that delay the order by about two weeks. I do wonder where they all went...
rolleyes.gif

Can't wait to finally hear that woody goodness though. I really wonder how they will sound out of the NWZ-ZX1 and what they will do for extreme music...

Cheers!!!

I'm curious of how the FX650 sound. I bet it still is sublime, but in smaller form factor.

I got the FX850 for 278$+20$ shipped. For a custom you'd certainly have to spend a bit more than 300$ (ear impressions on top of the earphones). Cheapest customs at around 300-400$ might get you triple BAs. And even then I'm not sure BAs can compete with a great dynamic driver like the FX850 in term of bass and timbre.

Don't know any custom hybrids around. They might cost a ton though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back