The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #946 of 3,535
  Well the Kaede will give you that. It was too much for me personally. But the Kaedes have better mid-range, tighter bass and a better timbre. It reminded me too much of the EX1000 with the treble :frowning2:. Not as bad but where I couldn't listen to them very long.

Would you guys say the treble is like the CK10?  the sharp hissing SSSS treble?  I hate those trebles.

May 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #951 of 3,535
Haven't heard the EX1000 but the FX850 is not sibilant (something I am very sensitive too usually). It extends well with plenty of details but does not suffer from harshness in the highs. 

May 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #954 of 3,535
How does JVC FX850 compared to Sony EX1000? Do FX850 have sibilance to the level of EX1000?

Not a hint of harshness or sibilant, only very well extended treble.

I can almost guarantee you that the FX850 sibilant is no where near that of the EX1000 since it is even less harsh than the MDR-7550. The 7750 as everybody know is very similar to the EX1000 with the treble rolled off.

I personally had the 7750 for 3 weeks and decided not to keep it due to treble (yes, I'm that sensitive to harsh treble). Also the bass of the 7750 is not as fun and emphasized as the FX850. Overall the 7550 is too clinical for my taste. Hence the venture to the XBA H3 and now FX850.

FX850 is very enjoyable for now. I'm currently comparing it with the H3.

May 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #957 of 3,535
Would like to see some impressions of the difference.

As of now, only preliminary impression since these can change as my ears adjust to the FX850 (though I doubt the change will be that dramatic ):

+Bass: FX850 is has more impact, more emphasized and tighter more controlled even with the tape mod for the H3. The H3 does seem to extend a bit lower in the sub-bass region though, as it does have a larger 16mm dedicated sub-woofer (this I need to check again). I still prefer the FX850 bass overall.

+Mid: FX850 is more forward, slightly in your face, more lush and fuller sounding. Vocal tracks, piano-vocal duet...are clearly the FX850's forte. The H3 in comparison is more veiled, a bit dryer, no doubt about that. That is not to say the mid of the H3 is bad, just slightly veiled for a BA iem, in fact I would even say that its mid give the H3 an advantage in the sound across the board (I will get to that below)

+Treble: At last, people who are sensitive to sibilance can rest assure: no harshness found in either iems (coming from a guy who found the mdr-7550's treble harsh). Both are very capable when comes to the treble. Though I noticed the FX850 is a bit brighter with that nice sparkle and shimmer we all want, all without the harshness.

+Sound-stage: To my ear the H3 seems to have a bit more space and air compared to the FX850, this is probably due to the slightly veiled mid-range of the H3, which seems to give the entire sound that bit of space. IMO, this is one of the advantage of the veiled mid of the H3. Perhaps someone could weigh in on this? I myself don't see how the FX850 can have more space due to that slightly forward mid range.

+Separation: gotta hand this to the H3, as expected of the BA driver. Once again, the veil mid of the H3 means that you can turn the volume up and listen to all these instruments in the background without guarding that volume button from the unexpected loudness of the vocal. This is probably what someone from the XBA forum mentioned as a "non-fatiguing sound, that protects your hearing" lol. I often have to tune down the volume on the FX850 as they tend to get loud quite quickly in a certain section of the song (of course this only happen if your volume control are not precise, like the 15 levels volume control on android phones. To combat this, I found a precise volume app with 100 volume levels to adjust from). Separation on the FX850, I think, is as expected of a capable dynamic driver, very good, not bad but not super brilliant either.

Lee, Eric, Dsnuts or anybody else can pitch in?

May 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #959 of 3,535
I agree with most of what wanderer2014 already said. What I would like to add is a visual analogy of the H3 and fx850 using their respective cases:

Sony's case is very nice. It has the two pouch arrangement with a velcro strap in the middle to hold cable down. It's a faux leather outer with a zipper and gets the job done.

Now this case is classy! Individual cutouts for ear pieces and the cable, and is a rigid box with a magnetic snap closure.

What I am trying to convey with this analogy is that the fx850 is "special". With wood housings and wood drivers that are tuned wonderfully, it has a timbre and presentation that are sublime to my ears (and eyes!). Yes, the H3 is more "organized" (ie-separation and space) and truly gets the job done, but fx850 adds that extra something that gives it a unique and classy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back