The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #22,456 of 22,461
ABYSS_BUTTON.jpg

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 10, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #22,457 of 22,461
I'm not the biggest expert in picture divination. But, apparently, Big Boy is coming soon.

May 10, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #22,459 of 22,461
I don't know how they can make a better 1266TC. Resolution is on point, but stats are a little bit better. I don't necessarily want more resolution with the TCs; they are good enough. Bass is, well, TC bass. It's great. I want more actually, but it might not be possible. The could extend a little lower, but it's not a problem with my musical tastes. Now on to mids, the biggest complaint of the TCs. It doesn't bother me at all, but I know others have concerns. If they up the mids, that is gonna take away from the bass and treble. It's a weird balancing act. I think better cables make the mids a little more forward, so that's a way to fix the mids "problem." I just hope Abyss doesn't release an LCD-5 like pair of headphones. It tried to address concerns, but ended up making a bland pair of headphones that kinda ruined the brand. Abyss needs to release something that is genuinely better in all regards or we might get a boring pair of headphones. The perfectly neutral pair of headphones is boring (at least to me). The Harmon Curve is nice for what I listen to, but I don't necessarily want all of my headphones to sound like that.

I've been focusing in on 5 headphones now, and am selling the rest like tomorrow. The 1266 TCs, Susvara, Valkyria, Sr1b and CA-1a (hopefully soon the Immannis). If you want the perfect pair of headphones, I guess it's the Susvara. But if you want some fun, some bass, some colored sound, you go with the TCs. It's all very genre specific, but I guess if the average person asked me what headphones to buy, I'd probably say the Susvara. If they are into my genres, metal and hip-hop, I'm recommending the TCs (and I have many times before).

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #22,460 of 22,461
Hi guys! I recently picked up a 1266 TC and would like to post some impressions here:

Bass - Definitely has a peak but when the song lines up with that peak it's lots of fun. In general the bass has fantastic body and impact and it creates nice rumble as well as bass pressure, there's good detail as well and it goes super deep. The most fun and subwoofer like bass I've heard in a headphone

Mids - Wonky but quite a bit less offensive than I thought it would be, you can hear the peaks and dips but the end result isn't that bad somehow

Treble - Similar to the bass but in the opposite where it's not enjoyable when the song lines up with the elevation, most of the time it's not a problem for me but sometimes it can get bright. S sounds are always prominent

Staging and Imaging - Very wide and tall with excellent layering and instrument placement, the TC does this thing where the stage doesn't wrap around your head but instead starts from the middle of your ears, depending on how you have it set up the stage can change as well (also the tuning) and come from a more forward or backward place. Highly enjoyable overall

Speed and Detail - Very fast and detailed, just a little less detailed and slower than my X9000 but more than the Lcd-5 in both

Timbre and Decay - It sounds like a planar but not that metallic imo, for decay it doesn't do great because it's so fast

Overall a highly enjoyable headphone I find :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #22,461 of 22,461
So I've been listening to my TC out of my CFA3. It's just better out of the WA33 EE JPS. Bass might be a tad bit better on the CFA3, but not really a big difference at all. The WA33 EE JPS is just a perfect pairing for the TCs, but the CFA 3 is close for a lot less money. I need to maybe get a different preamp for the CFA3 to see what elrogs and 300b can do. I tried the CFA3 with the 300B 3ES Elite, and it wasn't that much different. I was using Tak 300Bs though. I don't really know how a elrog tube could make things sound significantly better, but I'll give it a try. I'm gonna get that switching pre-amp that lets me use different tubes easily (300b, 2A3 I think, and 45)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back