The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #406 of 687
Just did the sound test yeah I have a good seal ... just wondering are you guys still able to hear the surrounding when no music is being played?

Its not total silence.  When at work, I can almost hear people talk if they talk really loudly.  But loud noises like hammering and banging come through, although pretty quietly.  When the music is on though, everything goes away.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #407 of 687
No CIEM is totally silent. They all do isolate very well when the music is playing.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #408 of 687
I'm still waiting for my JH16 and I never had a custom before.

When I went to an audiologist to get my ear impression I remember it's total silence while waiting for the impression to cure. The audologist was chatting with someone sitting 2.5 feet away from me and there was ambient music playing. I totally hear nothing.  Is that what I suppose to expect the level of isolation I get from a custom?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #409 of 687
  I'm still waiting for my JH16 and I never had a custom before.

When I went to an audiologist to get my ear impression I remember it's total silence while waiting for the impression to cure. The audologist was chatting with someone sitting 2.5 feet away from me and there was ambient music playing. I totally hear nothing.  Is that what I suppose to expect the level of isolation I get from a custom?

Not really. It's almost like that but not it is not the same. The housing of the custom is not fully filled with acrylic material, so there is still space to hear something "outside". You basically hear nothing at the audiologist and everything becomes dead silent.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #411 of 687
Even full silicon allow some outside sound with no music playing.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #412 of 687
okok ... cos jus like headwacker this is my first CIEM so like him i kinda expected the dead silence you get while getting your impressions done. So when first had the CIEMs in my ear i was rather disappointed. Initially i thought i was due to poor impression made leading to poor seal. Dreaded having to get my impressions done again as it was a really painful experience for me. The process of having the foam stopper placed in my ear was really painful. (Base on the audiologist was due to sensitive skin in the ear. In some case, some people may be too sensitive thus unable to to proceed with the ear impressions taking) Having the silicon squeezed into the ear was ok though. Anyway to those who face the same problem fret not there is a 3D ear scanner by Lantos technology. According to the email reply i got from them it will be pain free. It should be commercially available early 2014. Can check it out.

Anyway back to the point. Did all the seal test that fellow headfiers directed me to and results confirmed that i had a good seal. So yeah guess i placed my hopes up too high. Regardless I really love the sound coming from it. One more thing even with music on i still can hear the surrounding. Is it cos i have my volume too low ?? I'm playing it straight out of my ak120 at about 26-32 volume level. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #413 of 687
  okok ... cos jus like headwacker this is my first CIEM so like him i kinda expected the dead silence you get while getting your impressions done. So when first had the CIEMs in my ear i was rather disappointed. Initially i thought i was due to poor impression made leading to poor seal. Dreaded having to get my impressions done again as it was a really painful experience for me. The process of having the foam stopper placed in my ear was really painful. (Base on the audiologist was due to sensitive skin in the ear. In some case, some people may be too sensitive thus unable to to proceed with the ear impressions taking) Having the silicon squeezed into the ear was ok though. Anyway to those who face the same problem fret not there is a 3D ear scanner by Lantos technology. According to the email reply i got from them it will be pain free. It should be commercially available early 2014. Can check it out.

Anyway back to the point. Did all the seal test that fellow headfiers directed me to and results confirmed that i had a good seal. So yeah guess i placed my hopes up too high. Regardless I really love the sound coming from it. One more thing even with music on i still can hear the surrounding. Is it cos i have my volume too low ?? I'm playing it straight out of my ak120 at about 26-32 volume level. 

You can not expect it to be dead silent. It just doesn't work. You need to get used to your jh16pro and hear carefully, then decide if the seal is okay or not. You especially hear it in the bass.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #414 of 687
  I used this to verify http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833 . It worked in my case. I broke the seal a couple of times with a pen next to my jh16 to know how it sounds without and to make sure everything is fine..

That test is great and my seal passed the test, so I guess it's just going to take time to adjust to the acrylic feel. Thanks for providing that link!

I am using the Comply Wraps JH provided in my package and they seem to work really well securing a tighter fit/seal. Does anybody use these? I think I might keep them on my 16s. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #416 of 687

That test is great and my seal passed the test, so I guess it's just going to take time to adjust to the acrylic feel. Thanks for providing that link!

I am using the Comply Wraps JH provided in my package and they seem to work really well securing a tighter fit/seal. Does anybody use these? I think I might keep them on my 16s. 

Same i used them once and felt that it was too uncomfortable so i took it out.... still a perfect seal ... haha

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #417 of 687
I never had a problem with universal iems.  I always found them extremely comfortable, although I had to adjust them sometimes to get the best amount of bass.  But I guess ignorance is bliss because now I'm spoiled by ciems (namely the jh16),  I didn't know how much better it could be.  I can't go back to universals anymore. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #418 of 687
  I never had a problem with universal iems.  I always found them extremely comfortable, although I had to adjust them sometimes to get the best amount of bass.  But I guess ignorance is bliss because now I'm spoiled by ciems (namely the jh16),  I didn't know how much better it could be.  I can't go back to universals anymore. 

I feel you bro ...haha 

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #419 of 687

But most can't plunk down $1,300 for an IEM.  With the right tips and fit (and possibly amping), some of the $300-400 triple/quad drivers are 85-90% of what a $1,200 universal is.

I was one that DID go the high end custom route and came back down to universals.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #420 of 687
I think that is just an enthusiast's curse that we need to try the high end. Then get a realization later the price difference do not commensurate with the 5-10 % different in performance/SQ.

However, it still feels satisfying knowing you experience the TOTL. This is my first custom and maybe the last. I just want to enjoy that last 5-10% SQ custom has to offer against that $300-500 universals.

It's the same cycle all over again I had with the golden age of PC DIYs.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back