The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #211 of 687
Well I must admit that it was a quite fast judgement and review. Not sure what could have changed in the next day you listened to your 16s. Burn-in needs hundreds of hours.
I only had maybe 15 mins to listen to them the day I got them, I had 12 hours today before I wrote my review. I made sure I listened to a wide range music. I don't believe in burn in accounts for a huge change in sound. I also played them at half volume with my iPod on shuffle all night to see if I noticed any change. The out come was I didn't notice any significant change. Perhaps after a month goes past I will reflect on my review, and see indeed if anything has changed. For the moment I couldn't be happier.

Also yikes! Is Jerry trying to cram more BA's into a CIEM? Pretty soon it'll be five bore with a five way cross over. Low, low mid, mid, mid high, high.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #212 of 687
Personally, I believe the human eardrum works on the same principals with audio as limbs do with muscle memory. Our Eardrums adjust accordingly the more you use it until it reaches a point when your brain and your eardrums can fully adjust to the soundscape quickly, sometimes within seconds, of turning the headphone and music on. After a certain amount of time, the audio qualities seem to be " Better " due to our brain adjusting.  In 20 years of being a part of this Hi Fi audio thing, I've never once heard of anyone who said they heard a night and day difference from 3:00PM to 3:01PM as they were listening to the headphone.  While they were using it, nobody has ever heard the headphone suddenly change sound qualities for the better.  It is always apparent the next morning or after a few hours of being away from that piece of gear.  I can't recall anyone saying anything similar to " I was listening to this headphone on the 299.9th hour when the 300 hour mark hit and it suddenly altered, sounded more open to me from how it sounded just 10 seconds ago."   Such things just aren't said, so that leads me to believe its primarily in our brains, but I also do not leave out the potential that a small portion of the effect is due in part to some electrical efficiency difference between the stock headphone and a certain amount of hours later.  However small that voltage difference is, it might be audible. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #213 of 687
Quote:

Well I must admit that it was a quite fast judgement and review. Not sure what could have changed in the next day you listened to your 16s. Burn-in needs hundreds of hours.

Not so sure about that with BAs

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #215 of 687
I only had maybe 15 mins to listen to them the day I got them, I had 12 hours today before I wrote my review. I made sure I listened to a wide range music. I don't believe in burn in accounts for a huge change in sound. I also played them at half volume with my iPod on shuffle all night to see if I noticed any change. The out come was I didn't notice any significant change. Perhaps after a month goes past I will reflect on my review, and see indeed if anything has changed. For the moment I couldn't be happier.

Also yikes! Is Jerry trying to cram more BA's into a CIEM? Pretty soon it'll be five bore with a five way cross over. Low, low mid, mid, mid high, high.

What are the other equipment you are using?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #218 of 687
Quote:

Mc21, I had a chance to try out the asg2 earlier, and I also have my jh16's.  The differences I observed was:  The JH16's had it beat big time in the bass department, tighter deeper bass, less midbass bloat.  Treble on the jh16's were less rolled back.  The jh16's also had a bigger soundstage. 

The ASG2 had the JH16's beat though in bass power:  more powerful although sloppy bass, but at the cost of treble and soundstage if you open up the port all the way.  This does not mean that the jh16's got weak bass, it's got more than enough, too much for some, but the bass quality is just unbeatable for amount it gives.  Moving on, the ASG2's also were slightly more sensitive and detailed, but you gotta listen hard to notice.

I thought the jh16's were really super warm when I first got'em (like the asg2).  Its either burn in, or mind burn in or just the source that was bad (clip zip, nano).  I regretted not getting the jh13's instead.  But when I got the fiio X3 with line out to my jds C5 I was like WOW.  No more unwanted warmpth.  Glad I stuck with the jh16's because now they are perfect.

That's exactly what I needed to hear to confirm the JH16 is most likely what I am looking for. I love big soundstages, so that's a plus. The bass on the asg-2 can sound amazing but at times I find that there is too much of it and bloated, especially at the midbass. The JH16 is looking better and better!

Quote:
My jh16s should be here soon. I've heard news From a friend who spoke to Jerry, that a new flagship model with maybe 8-10drivers will be out later this year(October)
frown.gif
and I am gonna get my 16s soon. Thinking if I should have held up for abit

How creditable is this source? I don't want to jump on the JH16 if a new flagship is around the corner >.< Even if I would prefer the JH16 over the new flagship, it's better to get all the details first and then make a decision. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #221 of 687
Aug 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #222 of 687
Quote:
Crossover....possibly, but my guess is thats its minimal
Cable....mmmm...that's a whole post in itself

I spent another 2 days with my Shure SE535 and went back to the JH16's. I found the 16's way too warm. I think it's not the burn-in but my ears getting used to the sound.

I'm starting to believe that it's all in my head.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #223 of 687
Quote:
Quote:
Crossover....possibly, but my guess is thats its minimal
Cable....mmmm...that's a whole post in itself

I spent another 2 days with my Shure SE535 and went back to the JH16's. I found the 16's way too warm. I think it's not the burn-in but my ears getting used to the sound.e

I'm starting to believe that it's all in my head.

Perception is reality?

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #224 of 687
Quote:
I found the 16's way too warm.

I find it really quite interesting all these reports of the JH16 being too warm. I had the exact opposite in that I found the JH16 too bright and sibilant...warm is not a word I would have associated with them.
Mine are back with JH Audio to sort out the brightness and ongoing fit issue....we'll see how they are when I get them back.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #225 of 687
Quote:
Are the jh16s still overly warm with just the fiio x3 alone?

It depends on the source.  It was overly warm with my ipod, it was overly warm with my rockboxed clip zip (but its fine if you eq'd -3db out of the 230-250hz range).  It was perfect with the fiio X3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back