The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #196 of 687
Quote:
Sorry about that but if you reread your comment it seems like someone who is angry at the community. Also sarcasm is at the best of times hard or impossible to decipher from voiceless text. It's not that I don't have a good grasp of sarcasm it's that you just can't tell with your comment.

I'm on my phone and I can't see the number of posts someone has or how long they have been on the site. I'm sorry I didn't instantly know who you were when I joined the site. You should start PMing everyone who joins head fi and tell them who you are. That way everyone will know when you are and when you aren't being serious. PS That was sarcasm.

I reread it and it did not seem like someone that is angry at the community at all. Seems like hundreds of other posts I have read on here before. Also, I said "I hate you guys. Well at least my wallet does...", which indicates that it is not actually me who is angry at all. 

I understand you're on your phone, but all you have to do is tap the name. It tells you when they joined, and their number of posts. 

One shouldn't be so quick to jump on the soapbox and give a lecture.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #197 of 687
I reread it and it did not seem like someone that is angry at the community at all. Seems like hundreds of other posts I have read on here before. Also, I said "I hate you guys. Well at least my wallet does...", which indicates that it is not actually me who is angry at all. 

I understand you're on your phone, but all you have to do is tap the name. It tells you when they joined, and their number of posts. 

One shouldn't be so quick to jump on the soapbox and give a lecture.

Ugh this was a dumb misunderstanding sorry. Should probably get the thread back on topic. Sorry about your wallet, I know mine is sorry about the jh16's. My ears aren't sorry though.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #198 of 687
Quote:
Ugh this was a dumb misunderstanding sorry. Should probably get the thread back on topic. Sorry about your wallet, I know mine is sorry about the jh16's. My ears aren't sorry though.

Let's just be fellow headfi'ers and say that jh16 caught our attentions for a reason. My wallet is fine, just have a slight pit in the stomach feeling spending so much on a pair of headphones. I'm sure that feeling will disappear after hearing them though.

Cheers, and happy monitoring.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #199 of 687
Quote:
Let's just be fellow headfi'ers and say that jh16 caught our attentions for a reason. My wallet is fine, just have a slight pit in the stomach feeling spending so much on a pair of headphones. I'm sure that feeling will disappear after hearing them though.

Cheers, and happy monitoring.

Awwwww maaaaannn..im feeling that pit too :frowning2:

I got another pit in that pit where I got the Fiio X3 to couple with my JH16s..

And I got a pit in the pit of the pit for wanting to order HPL audio pure silver cable :frowning2:...

Does this ever end!!???

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #200 of 687
Quote:

Awwwww maaaaannn..im feeling that pit too :frowning2:

I got another pit in that pit where I got the Fiio X3 to couple with my JH16s..

And I got a pit in the pit of the pit for wanting to order HPL audio pure silver cable :frowning2:...

Does this ever end!!???

I thought it would end when I got my se310. Then I thought that again when I got my triplefi 10. Thought that again when I got my ultrasone edition 8. Same for the se535 and the asg-2. Once again I feel it will come to an end, but I must be realistic. This disease will never end. I am a chronic headfi'er. There is no cure. I'm doomed, or should I say my wallet is doomed?

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #201 of 687
Quote:
I thought it would end when I got my se310. Then I thought that again when I got my triplefi 10. Thought that again when I got my ultrasone edition 8. Same for the se535 and the asg-2. Once again I feel it will come to an end, but I must be realistic. This disease will never end. I am a chronic headfi'er. There is no cure. I'm doomed, or should I say my wallet is doomed?

My girlfreind can never find out how much I spent. Shes been wanting a holiday for ages and ive been constantly telling her Im broke..

Whoops..

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #203 of 687
Well yeah the JH16's bass is unbeatable period.

I spent my night with some audio freaks friends and played with the Shure530/535 Westone4, Beats by Dre, Senn IE8, Q-jays and Ath-ck10...

No No No... seriously I amped them all with my Yulong D100 MK2 Dac/Amp and the JH16's literally wiped the floor with all above IEMs.

Customs or not is not the question. It's how powerful was the bass and clean it was. Midbass again is slightly exaggerated but how low it goes makes me shiver.

If you listen to this track for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8  @1080/720p ... first minute really tells the whole story ( specifically after 00:30 ) 

I cranked up the volume really high and I could feel my 16's vibrating around my ear. Sometimes I need those little shots. 

Btw, Anyone experiencing unbalanced volume between R and L in this video ? could be that I'm turning deaf.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #204 of 687
Quote:
I hate this community sometimes. Looks like I'm convinced in selling my asg-2 and getting a pair of JH16. Hate you guys. Well at least my wallet does. Probably the gf too. Maybe my dogs too. =\

Mc21, I had a chance to try out the asg2 earlier, and I also have my jh16's.  The differences I observed was:  The JH16's had it beat big time in the bass department, tighter deeper bass, less midbass bloat.  Treble on the jh16's were less rolled back.  The jh16's also had a bigger soundstage. 

The ASG2 had the JH16's beat though in bass power:  more powerful although sloppy bass, but at the cost of treble and soundstage if you open up the port all the way.  This does not mean that the jh16's got weak bass, it's got more than enough, too much for some, but the bass quality is just unbeatable for amount it gives.  Moving on, the ASG2's also were slightly more sensitive and detailed, but you gotta listen hard to notice.

I thought the jh16's were really super warm when I first got'em (like the asg2).  Its either burn in, or mind burn in or just the source that was bad (clip zip, nano).  I regretted not getting the jh13's instead.  But when I got the fiio X3 with line out to my jds C5 I was like WOW.  No more unwanted warmpth.  Glad I stuck with the jh16's because now they are perfect.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #205 of 687
Uhh... depends on what aspect of the bass you're referring to and what you're comparing it with...
Quote:
Well yeah the JH16's bass is unbeatable period.

In any case, I have around 120 hours on the JH16 and the cable. Listening out of an iPhone still, vocals have been brought forward, and the mid bass bloom has dissipated to the extent that it isn't prominent or too noticeable any more. No more of that annoying ringing/resonance. I know I can still squeeze out plenty more performance with a proper set up since I'm not entirely blown away. However, out of all the IEMs I've used thus far, the JH16 pretty much nails it for me since I love vocals but I don't love an upside down U shaped FR curve. As chengsta said, they aren't as warm anymore as when I first crammed them in my ears when I received them. Still using the same set up though.

I'm satisfied.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #207 of 687
Well since I got mine yesterday my opinion has been changing on them.

Initially they were super warm and the bass was overwhelming and I felt like I got ripped off. Soon though the bass felt like it was down to a good level and the treble came out from hiding. It was then that I could really get a focus on the sound quality and a real feel for what I bought. I listened to them all day at work with music and Podcasts, I found that the isolation was excellent... so much so that I couldn't hear my coworkers! (This wasn't such a bad thing).

Something I found was that some of the tracks I love sound terrible with the JH16's and some other tracks sound much much better.

Lead Vocals: Front and centre, intimate like the artist is in your head singing, if the recording is poor the vocals will suffer the most.

Back up vocals are very clear and you can really hear what part they play in the song, for example Courage My Love has some epic vocal harmonies that really shine with the JH16's.

As far as instruments go....
Drums : Cymbals are sharp and focused, the kick drum you can feel in your head, and every tom hit is clear and evident.

Guitars: You couldn't ask for the guitars to be clearer and more accurate. The singing tone of a solo, the crunch and growl of an overdriven guitar, and the sound of the pick or fingers on the strings comes through.

Bass: The bass is a bit of a problem, it's hard to hear but as with most recordings the bassist gets pushed into a dark corner behind the drums and guitar . However when the bass can be heard it's just as clear as the rest of the band.

Piano: Sharp and clear, you can even hear the felt from the sustain pedal being lifted off the strings.

The JH16 will expose how well the sound engineer did his job as far as panning, mic placement, eq and so on. With a good recording it's pure bliss, you can hear the instruments pan back and forth, there's no problem with the vocals being too forward or muddled, and nothing is running over anything else. With a bad recording you will hear every mistake magnified, if the panning is too close, the vocals are too loud or a track is slightly out of sync you will hear it. The JH16 has no sympathy for the weak and unprepared.

I have to say that the JH16 loves EDM and really exposes the perfection of a digitally generated sound track. A good EDM track really exposes how low the JH16 goes and will also show how accurate the JH16 is as it shows off every sparkling reverb trail. It also gives a solid base for how well the JH 16 handles it's sound stage. The stage is fairly close to your head feels like it's 2 inches outside your ears, but the depth and accuracy of the stage is awesome (It's like sinking into a deep pool of sound). There's no cloudy idea of where the instruments and elements of a song are placed, you know exactly where the artist/engineer wanted it. The Hell freezes over album by the Eagles is a really good example of sound stage and placement of instruments. 

As far as how they work for a musician on stage, I can only give limited feed back as I had a scarce 15 mins to play with them on my drum kit. What I can say is that they block sound very equally, it's like turning down the volume with a flat EQ. I did however have to turn them up to about half way on my iPod to be on par with my drumkit volume, but I guess that's akin to standing in the middle of a hurricane and expecting an umbrella to block out all the rain.

Over all I'm impressed, blown away and absolutely in love with my JH16's. They really lift the protective veil on music, sometimes you see a hidden beauty, sometimes you hear something that isn't so pretty. It's very easy to lose yourself in the music since the isolation cuts you out of the world, I've found myself jumping once or twice from not hearing someone coming. They will never fall out of your ear unless you want to take them out, and are fairly comfortable for long listening sessions (not as comfortable as silicone).

What else can I say? I can't complain one bit about how much I paid for them $1300.00 CAD after shipping and ear moulds. I would say that the case (new round alumium style) is pretty bulky not something I would carry in my pocket (girls you've got the upper hand with a purse here). The mini jack has a MASSIVE over mould on it, so much so that I can't plug in my iPod for charging and the cable at the same time. Other than that I'm happy 
size]
. Pics later on...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #209 of 687
My jh16s should be here soon. I've heard news From a friend who spoke to Jerry, that a new flagship model with maybe 8-10drivers will be out later this year(October) :frowning2: and I am gonna get my 16s soon. Thinking if I should have held up for abit

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #210 of 687
Quote:
My jh16s should be here soon. I've heard news From a friend who spoke to Jerry, that a new flagship model with maybe 8-10drivers will be out later this year(October)
frown.gif
and I am gonna get my 16s soon. Thinking if I should have held up for abit

8-10 drivers 0.0, some bass and treble monster? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back