The Itch........
Feb 2, 2019 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bflat

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious to know what triggers folks to start thinking upgrade.

While I'm sure we would all like to say the "itch" starts only after auditioning a new component, let's be honest, that's not practical most of the time. Also given the effort to do a full audition, what triggers that desire?

For me it starts when a trusted brand like Mr. Speakers, ALO, Noble, Woo Audio, Schiit, etc announce a new innovative product. It's even better if the new product is truly "never been done before". After that I rely on the community here to vigorously debate the merits and impressions. The more I hear positive impressions from folks that share my preferences, the stronger the itch becomes, gradually evolving to obsession LOL.

I will say that major sales events use to trigger the itch too, but I've moved on from that. I found myself with a lot of odds and ends that I rarely used and just end up dumping on classified at a substantial loss (like now LOL).

Let the confessions begin!

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 22
At this point, it would take quite a lot to stir my itch. I won't notice a qualitative difference with new/different solid state components over what I am using currently (extensive A/D testing has taught me that). If new headphones release, they would have to be a pretty significant longitudinal change in sound quality without breaking the bank for me to consider selling any of my current HPs (Susvara, SR-009S, Utopia, and HD820) to trade-up.

I guess for HPs and speakers, when a company I've been very happy with releases something top level, I make an effort to go hear it and decide if upgrading is worth it to me (or buy and use the 30-day return policy to evaluate if it lives up to the hype). With speakers, the B&W D3 series with the turbine heads was such a significant leap in sound quality from the D2 kevlar series that it was an easy decision to purchase right away and not wait to buy a pair on the grey market or second hand. I don't have an interest in lateral movements with speakers/HPs. At this point, I need clear and significant longitudinal movements to get motivated.

I think you can avoid the audio itch quite a bit if you stop hanging around audio shops and internet forums. The "itch" usually isn't just about audio. It's often about avoiding other things going on in life.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 22
I think you can avoid the audio itch quite a bit if you stop hanging around audio shops and internet forums.

This is indeed the key cure. :) I've been a member here for nearly a decade now, during my periodic breaks from the community I had no itch at all. What triggers it for me is reading the hype.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 22
For me, 'The Itch' started simply as a desire to try something new. Then it went on to get better performance. Now I have no itch, but still enjoy reading the forums and my curiosity is peaked now and again from that.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 22
My itch started with car audio 20 years ago when I was 16 and I wanted my car to sound good, plus my cousin was a car audio wholesaler. Did that for about 5 years and after having 2 systems stolen from my vehicle decided to get out. Got into pro audio after that for about 6 years djing and production. After oxy and heroin flooded the scene I had to leave that behind. Been doing hi-fi for the last 9 years and feel I have finally found my scratch for the itch with 1980's totl Japan gear that I have been into for the last 4 years.

25 years ago I bought a Aiwa component setup for around $250 from Circuit City but I don't think the itch really started till I spent some big money on some 12w6's and Phoenix Gold amp. That Phoenix Gold amp was unreal for the $500 I spent new.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 22
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 22
For me the "itch" is when i started to notice a less enjoyable feeling from my gear.
for example, i sold my Fostex and Violectric because i felt the violectric didnt provide enough "something" for me.
the Fostex cans were great, i was using them maybe 30min - 60min every couple of days. when i started to use it more i noticed the comfort was an issue for me. so that pushed me to sell it.
With that money i from selling the headphones and amp, i used it to buy my RME ADI-2 DAC and Astell&Kern SR15 DAP.

all i have to use now are my DT1990 pros which are forever cans. i'll never sell them no matter what.
my B&O H6 gen 2 which i'll also keep until they fall apart lol.

but now im craving something else... the "itch" is back, im currently looking at another pair of cans. something less professional than the DT1990 Pro, but better than my H6.

my currently looking at the Focal Utopia, Abyss Diana Phi, Audeze LCD2C (Classic), Focal Elegia, Sony z7m2.

so thats my "itch" lol

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 22
Except for guy with plenty of money and curious, and except for obsessive compulsive guys, the ITCH comes from more or less conscious-inconscious insatisfaction with the sound experience of our audio system, this for too many reasons to enumerate here....One of the main reason, that nobody is really conscious of, and if conscious, not sufficiently aware,is how much their audio system is compromised by a high level of noise from EMI and RFI, without even speaking of the trivial bad consequence of mechanical vibrations and resonances more easy to remedy though, but often underestimated also....The ITCH often comes from this insatisfaction created by these factors at least in my case for the last 7 years....Musicality when you have it at the end kills the ITCH...Perhaps not the curiosity but the ITCH yes...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 22
I've had the itch countless times over the past 15 years, both headphones and 2ch. When it gets bad, and morphs into a frenzy, is actually when I'm enjoying my current system the MOST, and consuming a lot of music. That's because I'm getting so much music satisfaction, it makes me want even MORE. Perhaps counter-intuitive to some, but think of it like a drug addiction. The times I've been dissatisfied with my gear, or when it's not performing at the level I thought it should be for the $'s, is when I've actually withdrawn the most from seeking & acquiring new gear - and unfortunately that's often meant consuming less music too. My loves for fine hifi gear and music are tightly intertwined. Eventually the down-cycle is broken when I give the system another chance, often involving a gear swap with some other stuff I have lying around (even a so-called component "downgrade", since often a bad component match between expensive things can be hard to admit at first), and it starts singing to me again.

Both of my systems (especially the 2ch) were taken to my "next level" in the past year, I'm listening & enjoying more than ever, yet it's been hard to fight off the urge to try a new piece here or there. The rationale being that I've already taken it this far, and it would be silly if I'm leaving any bit of performance on the table by running say this ARC Preamp over that new Rogue preamp, or the Koetsu with boron cantilever instead of diamond, this copper cable instead of these silver ones, my turntable without the optional battery PSU, etc...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 22
6BDDDCCE-8A35-499F-A465-E7DB5F100FD7.jpeg

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 22
it never ends.... I don't need it but I can buy it.... ended up with 5 daps zx2,1z,sp1000,sr15,m0.... maybe couple of more that I forget...

when they launch the golden sp100m I was almost buying it, because I liked it then I stopped my self, I am not rich guy..

but at the end I am 45 with family disposable income big enough to spend 1 or 2 K USD for my vices, I work long and hard, give me a break

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 22
I think that the answer to this is pretty complex to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if boredom is a big part of it. Others have mentioned that they realized certain things about their setup such as headphone fit, weight, clamp, sound-signature (same for amps and dacs). There's the looks of a headphone. Maybe I decide that I want to go portable but then after awhile realize that I barely use what I bought. I see a lot of people moving from headphones to speakers to portable and round and round the cycle seems to go. There's the excitement of purchasing something new, the excitement of even making a purchase, the excitement of making a possible trade, etc. I think that there's a reason that members told me "sorry for your wallet" when I first came on Head-Fi..

To get the most out of this hobby I would believe that discipline and research is needed.. I just lack the former. :p

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 22
I think that the answer to this is pretty complex to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if boredom is a big part of it. Others have mentioned that they realized certain things about their setup such as headphone fit, weight, clamp, sound-signature (same for amps and dacs). There's the looks of a headphone. Maybe I decide that I want to go portable but then after awhile realize that I barely use what I bought. I see a lot of people moving from headphones to speakers to portable and round and round the cycle seems to go. There's the excitement of purchasing something new, the excitement of even making a purchase, the excitement of making a possible trade, etc. I think that there's a reason that members told me "sorry for your wallet" when I first came on Head-Fi..

To get the most out of this hobby I would believe that discipline and research is needed.. I just lack the former. :p

I agree, and I am coming down to a road :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back