The it takes a licking but keeps on ticking thread
Mar 20, 2004 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Inadvertently left my gym rig (iFP-190TC + earbud) in my sweat jacket pocket and ran it through a wash cycle. My wife mentioned it as we were headed to a morning workout and I popped open the battery compartment and it looked dry in there. Works like a charm.

Read about an ER-4 that went through a wash cycle and worked fine afterward. Never tried that one.

My 1G iPod (in the stock case) also took a fall from the treadmill panel on to the tread and rolled onto the floor onto the rubber matting. None the worse for wear with that mishap.

Post your story (even if it did not turn out for the best).

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
iPod in a Marware case. About a three foot fall to a vinyl floor. No damage expected, or done. Old sony cassette player, dropped from moving bicycle fifteen years ago. Burst into a dozen pieces, definately not salvageable.

Me, 120 volts across the tongue as a child. I survived, not sure if complete or not
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Dropped my Sharp MD-DS8 on my kitchen floor about a week or two ago. Few dents and scratches around the side and on one corner, lid wouldn't open and close as easily as it used to and it seemed to decide for itself if it wanted to work or not.

I really should send it off for repair soon...

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 9
I felt something on the foot of my bed. Thought it was a magazine and I wanted to get rid of it so I gave it a hard kick from under the covers with my foot. Something flew through the air and landed with a thud that didn't sound like a magazine falling at all.
Turned out it was my brand new SonyEricsson T310 cellphone.
eek.gif

The batterydoor/lid had come off but after putting it back together the phone was good as new.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Mine was not electronics but a thermos. When I was in High School and working construction during the Summer my Dad bought me one of the first stainless steel Thermoses. I would fill it with iced tea every morning and carried it under my jacket on my motorcycle. Well was doing about 50, hit a bump and out it came. Bounced down the highway behind me. It was badly dented but still worked great.

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
I felt something on the foot of my bed. Thought it was a magazine and I wanted to get rid of it so I gave it a hard kick from under the covers with my foot. Something flew through the air and landed with a thud that didn't sound like a magazine falling at all.

I've stopped kicking things off of the bed for the most part. Generally, when I'm lying in bed and feel something on the covers, it turns out to be a cat
tongue.gif

Heart-stopping moment for me would be mounting a Monster Alpha Genesis 1000 MC phono cartridge...and dropping it. Nothing quite like dropping a $1200 cartridge (stylus not user replaceable) to cause that sinking feeling...but the cartridge was fine.

Honorable mention would have to go to the time that I had some tubes laid out on the bed prior to testing, and one of the cats started playing with a rare Sylvania metal base and rolled it off the bed. The tube was fine, but at that point, I almost decided to rethink kicking the cats off the bed...
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Hirsch,

LOL, funny cat stories.
tongue.gif

The worst drop Ive had to deal with would probably be when my ihp-120 slid off my lap when i was sleeping during a long bus ride. I woke up and found it under the seat a few rows back.
eek.gif

Nevertheless, it still works fine.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Stepped on my D66's headphone cord when my MZ-S1 was on the desk (at school) and it flew towards the ground. That didn't do anything to it...the "Tank" name is well-founded.

2 years ago my friend knocked my D-EJ915 out of my hand and it landed on the ground and the lid popped open and the CD came out, but it seemed fine...it turns out that it weakened the lid-latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back