The Irony of Calling iPod Users "Sheep"
Sep 18, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
So what am I, then?

What about those who buy a different player than an iPod in order to play lossless and OGG Vorbis files, which the iPod cannot play? I think that I had a very justifiable reason to buy a Rio Karma, for example, over an iPod. It also cost cheaper than an iPod of the same storage capacity, but had features I liked better. I liked the interface of the Rio Karma better. I liked the sound quality a LOT better. I needed a DAP that could be easily used on Linux. I also loved the RCA outputs on the player's dock, which I was able to hook up to my buddy's stereo at a dorm party.

If the iPod had these things, the companies would try to beat the iPod in other departments. However, since those departments were some primary things I NEEDED in my player, which the iPod didn't have strength in (if they had anything comparable AT ALL), I simply had to get another player. And frankly, this had features that were much better for me, and for a cheaper price. How did I go wrong?

I'm no "lemming" or "sheep". Don't even try to label my actions. We all buy players for different reasons, some of which are more justifiable than others.

I think Scrypt is reffering to what is known as "anti-apple fanboys". I didn't buy an ipod simply because the zen touch was considerably cheaper.

Most people are "sheep" in some way or another; being a sheep is what keeps the western corporate driven world alive!
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #32 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
What it comes down to, I think, is that we're all so deeply immersed in our consumer culture and sea of advertizing, that those of us that DO begin to see outside of Plato's cave (not in the classical sense neccecarily) attempt a desperate grasp at individuality by generalizing certain groups that they think they should not identify themselves with. This is, of course, false because their basis for individuality is still within the umbrella of material consumer goods. What a sad life it is for us.

EDIT::

I realize that I've summarized ideas presented by others (mostly Scrypt), but my point is that I don't blame the individuals, because most people by and large have no sociological imagination.

IIRC, before the people can see out of the cave they first have their blindfolds removed (revealing their own shadows being cast on the wall in front of them, with the fire behind them). So the beginning of actual awareness of reality is a sort-of pseudo-awareness, but the people are still trapped in their own tunnel-vision tyranny. Sounds like my brother-in-law with his zen micro
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #33 of 114
I think what is most frustrating is seeing people acting irrationally. Marketing and hype soaks into the collective consciousness of a society to the point where newsweek cannot go an issue without mentioning the ipod. The backlash is a reaction to the high degree of praise. Clearly apple makes a good product, but not to the degree where any and all other options are inferior by default.
When Apple does release their video player, barring some complete breakdown or huge flaw, I imagine the choir will embrace it as another leap forward, completely writing off any current portable video players, and praising apple for again moving the dap significantly forward. That entrenched, do no wrong thinking is more damaging than the balancing viewpoint of i will never use an ipod. But both are self-impairing limitations on audio/visual enjoyment.
Throw in the anecdotal evidence that the majority of ipod users appear to be using the stock buds, at which point the ipod is most definitely not the best sounding dap, but will still put down other audio players and that irrational behavior becomes even more apparent. Feeling the need to react to this is less sheepish and more seeking an outlet to safely emote.
At the end of the day, a fanboy is a fanboy is a fanboy, and whether you are the level1 sucked in by marketing/popularity, or level2 driven solely to avoid that marketing/popularity are two sides of the same coin.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #34 of 114
Big D get a grip.
eggosmile.gif

Anyone that goes to ipodlounge and expects anything other than pro-ipod and anti-anything else discussion is totally naive at best.

This place is not ipod-headfi or creative-headfi or anything else. It is the bashing in what is supposed to be a neutral open forum that bugs me. You can sing the praises of whatever you have or like without resorting to trashing others choices and unfortunately many here don't respect that.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #35 of 114
The reason the media and joe sixpack will embrace is because of its ease of use. That is what makes it so revolutionary. Do you think your soccermom wants to sort through a bunch of folders to find their music, or in the case of the video Ipod, movies? Anyone and everyone can use it. Do you think your grandma wants to deal with musicmatch, creative music manager, iriver music manager or other programs that freeze or take a long time to start up?

That is why the masses embrace and praise it.

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

Actually ipods get more bashing than other DAPs and ipod owners do less bashing then other DAP owners

If you're talking about forums like Head-fi, you're probably right. If you're talking about the "real world," not even close. Go talk to Joe Public on the street who's wearing the white earbuds with his iPod. Show him a Karma or some other player and you'll likely hear something along these lines, "what is that?...that's ugly...dude, just get an iPod."

This is of course based on my experiences.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #37 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super King
If you're talking about forums like Head-fi, you're probably right. If you're talking about the "real world," not even close. Go talk to Joe Public on the street who's wearing the white earbuds with his iPod. Show him a Karma or some other player and you'll likely hear something along these lines, "what is that?...that's ugly...dude, just get an iPod."

This is of course based on my experiences.

Hmmm,

I did have the experience of having someone call my Karma ugly, but it did not bother me because they were right
biggrin.gif

Seriously though I liked my Karma and used it a lot until the HD gave up the ghost. I might get around to fixing it someday.

To the more general discussion I have had people ask me what kind of player I have when I am out with my other units, but it was a neutral thing (though a few liked the looks of the carbon).

Really the only significant comments I have gotten either way was when I got my first mini since they were new and scarce. Girls especially wanted to see and hold it. Needless to say for a few months, that was the player I went out in public with......

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #39 of 114
Personally, I have a bias against iPods, but I don't think it's a lemming mentality that drives me like you state. I had no opinion on iPods until I started college last year, frankly, before college I had not even seen one in real life if you believe that. I noticed that the richest and most "elitist" of my classmates had iPods, it seems to be a class distinction at least in college. A lot of people buying iPods with no real need for one, only to have one. The student body seems split between those who have it and those who don't, and I can't even afford it (nor could my parents). It doesn't help when people automatically assume it's the best, or admonish me for not owning one when I can't throw that type of money around. Of course, this all probably just stems from my dislike of rich priveldged kids, haha.
600smile.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #40 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by vherub
IWhen Apple does release their video player, barring some complete breakdown or huge flaw, I imagine the choir will embrace it as another leap forward, completely writing off any current portable video players, and praising apple for again moving the dap significantly forward. That entrenched, do no wrong thinking is more damaging than the balancing viewpoint of i will never use an ipod. But both are self-impairing limitations on audio/visual enjoyment.

i agree, very well put. i also like the post above abotu how various review services knock non-ipods for not having ogg, wma, replaceable batterys, etc, but consistently give ipods best reviews.
Quote:

At the end of the day, a fanboy is a fanboy is a fanboy, and whether you are the level1 sucked in by marketing/popularity, or level2 driven solely to avoid that marketing/popularity are two sides of the same coin.

there is the type 3 fanboy who likes his gear because it is gerar that actually works well for him. dont forget this guy.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #41 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
you proclaim the superiority of drag-and-drop over iTunes, yet what takes more work... plugging in your iPod, iTunes starts automatically, and syncs your music... or plugging in your dap of choice, opening a file explorer, finding the music you want, dragging it to a new window where your players hard drive is located, and waiting for it to "build database" after your done?

Sorry, but I think that drag and drop is superior to iTunes...and any other music program! And I have vaild reason for it too!
So, I chose the Rio Carbon over the iPod Mini.
Why?
I can sync to the 2 laptops and 3 computers in my home. I can sync to music I rip at school. I can sync to my friend's computers.
All the music I have at home is already in folders...so why stop that trend?

I am sort of sorry that I didn't wait for the Nano becuase the Nano in black is hotttt..but the more I think about it, the more I remember how perfect the Carbon is for my needs ... not the Nano ( for the same reasons as the mini).
Oh yeah, not to mention i got the 5GB Carbon for $199 vs. 4GB Mini for $249 (canadian prices). Sure I have no tech support lol, but its still the player I wanted that does what I wanted.

I agree with nikongod - don't forget the people who buy their gear 'cuz it works for them.
lambda.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #43 of 114
Scrypt, it's always a great pleasure to read your witty posts revolving around these somewhat mundane matters such as ipods and headphones. Apple and Adorno, who'd have thought.

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #44 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
actually as a member of this community I would consider you a sheep if you owned anything other than an ipod. how many people bought the x5 only on the basis it wasnt an ipod? how many people own the iriver hxxx series only because it's not an ipod? you can knock apple all day long at lack of features, but how many of you actually use on-the-go USB, on-the-fly encoding, fm radio, video playback (which is coming for apple), etc found on your superior players. you proclaim the superiority of drag-and-drop over iTunes, yet what takes more work... plugging in your iPod, iTunes starts automatically, and syncs your music... or plugging in your dap of choice, opening a file explorer, finding the music you want, dragging it to a new window where your players hard drive is located, and waiting for it to "build database" after your done?

I AM a member of this community and I DID buy the X5 for its features and build quality. I DO think drag and drop is SUPERIOR to iTunes. I DO use the X5's USBOTG feature with my Nikon D50 which is like carrying around a 20gb hard drive on long trips. I also use the video player and the FM radio on the X5. I can understand your bias to iPods as you probably have succumbed to Apple's superior marketing. What I don't understand is your need to bash other excellent mp3 players by other companies because you might be in denial or have a strong bias to iPods because you clearly think that its superior. I on the other hand think that iPods have way too little features and I don't want to buy 100s of dollars of accessories just to get the features on the X5 for the same price.

I also do think the X5 is a superior product compared to the iPod. (IMO of course) I like the features, the feel, the look of the X5 better. But I still don't find the need say that the X5 is superior to every other mp3 player and stand there like those other features that are built in are useless because you don't use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back