THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Aug 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #348 of 687
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #349 of 687
Quote:
Can you tell us if the DAC supports up to 24/192.

if i can recall from reading somewhere, I think is only support up to 16/48. If the DAC section is really important to you (to use with your PC), there are others a bit cheaper that sound better than intruder (like ALO International OR Apex Glacier). I did the test before. Using Laptop as source, between DACPortLX VS Intruder VS International VS Glacier. In term of clarity, the International and Glacier are the better one (as a DAC to my laptop). The Intruder is on par with Dacport LX, but i might lean to dacportlx as well. The internal DAC of intruder is fine, but for the sound, i much prefer if i use it just with an ipod, or combined with an external DAC such as CLAS.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #350 of 687
Quote:
Quote:
Can you tell us if the DAC supports up to 24/192.

if i can recall from reading somewhere, I think is only support up to 16/48. If the DAC section is really important to you (to use with your PC), there are others a bit cheaper that sound better than intruder (like ALO International OR Apex Glacier). I did the test before. Using Laptop as source, between DACPortLX VS Intruder VS International VS Glacier. In term of clarity, the International and Glacier are the better one (as a DAC to my laptop). The Intruder is on par with Dacport LX, but i might lean to dacportlx as well. The internal DAC of intruder is fine, but for the sound, i much prefer if i use it just with an ipod, or combined with an external DAC such as CLAS.

X2

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #351 of 687
Quote:
Great!! I look forward to more impressions and excellent work on the cable. 

Well, almost a week in and about 100 hours on the Intruder. Not much I can really say except WOW! 
size]

I'm loving it... the Intruder is driving my balanced HD800s very nicely! The sound is just so 'full'... everything is present in every recording I hear, but the combo is certainly indicative of music I own that is poorly compressed or encoded. Good FLAC/WAV rips are downright stunning, but 128Kbps MP3s are pretty disappointing. My next step will be to re-rip some of my older music into lossless - with such a revealing setup, it's now mandatory.

Based on what I've read, I'm still just getting started too... with only 100 hrs on the Intruder, I can't wait to hear it once I reach the 300 or even 500 hour mark. 
size]

Dale

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #352 of 687
Quote:
if i can recall from reading somewhere, I think is only support up to 16/48.

Yes, that's true. The Intruder DAC only supports playback at up to 16bit/48KHz. That said, I find it as enjoyable to listen to as my 24bit/192KHz E17 and 24/96 Pico. I suspect the amplifier stage of the Intruder more than makes up for the DACs limitations. I haven't tried using the E17 as just a DAC at 24/192 with the Intruder as the amp, but I will this weekend. Something tells me that I won't notice huge gains by doing this, but we'll see.

Dale

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #353 of 687
Well I'm now a few weeks in and about 200 hours of listening/burn-in on my Intruder. I am absolutely loving it with my balanced HD800s! :D

I'm trying to decide if I want to try doing balanced with my Shure SE530 IEMs but I'm certainly leaning that way. Even with the SE output, the SE530s sound great, but I noticed so much more when I converted my HD800s to balanced.

I have broke down and ordered another DAC - the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB, along with a balanced cable to connect it to my Intruder. Alas it won't get here in time for the local Head-fi meet I'm going to this Sunday. The Intruder by itself should still be quite impressive to some of the attendees. I know it's certainly impressed me and things are sounding like they will continue to improve with more listening/burn-in.

I don't know how Ray did it, especially in such a small form factor, but I'm sure glad he did! :)

Dale

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #354 of 687
Hi guys, I will be getting one Intruder soon.
Regards to having low battery run time, I am thinking of changing the default batteries in it.
May I know what type of batteries & capacity it comes with?
Its built-in charger is able to support NiCd/NiMH/Li-ion type battery?
I am unable to find any data on these.

Thank you.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #355 of 687
Hi guys, I will be getting one Intruder soon.
Regards to having low battery run time, I am thinking of changing the default batteries in it.
May I know what type of batteries & capacity it comes with?
Its built-in charger is able to support NiCd/NiMH/Li-ion type battery?
I am unable to find any data on these.

Thank you.

Ask Ray for help. He is super nice and knows very well what you are asking for.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #356 of 687
No you can't change the battery. They are custom.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #357 of 687
Well I'm now a few weeks in and about 200 hours of listening/burn-in on my Intruder. I am absolutely loving it with my balanced HD800s! :D

I'm trying to decide if I want to try doing balanced with my Shure SE530 IEMs but I'm certainly leaning that way. Even with the SE output, the SE530s sound great, but I noticed so much more when I converted my HD800s to balanced.

I have broke down and ordered another DAC - the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB, along with a balanced cable to connect it to my Intruder. Alas it won't get here in time for the local Head-fi meet I'm going to this Sunday. The Intruder by itself should still be quite impressive to some of the attendees. I know it's certainly impressed me and things are sounding like they will continue to improve with more listening/burn-in.

I don't know how Ray did it, especially in such a small form factor, but I'm sure glad he did! :)

Dale

I converted my SE535 to balanced and do not regret it one bit, pretty sure it'll be the same with the 530.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #359 of 687
Anyone finding limitations on the DAC only supporting 16bit?  I have 20bit recordings along with some 24 bit 92 HD tracks.
This unit seems to down rez those tracks to 16 bit......

Although the Intruder DAC only supports a max of 16bit/48khz, I still find it quite satisfactory. Ok, satisfactory is too 'plain' a word so let's try pleasant. I've tried to do some comparisons using the DACs I own and surprisingly, I find it isn't the DAC itself that's really affecting the sound but it's the quality of the source files.

I've got lossless files at 16bit/44.1khz that sound better than a poorly mastered rip at 24bit/192khz. Some of my properly mastered 24bit/96khz material does seem a tad stifled by the Intruder DAC, but it's by no means a 'slouch'. I get a sense of a more compact soundstage but there is still plenty of definition to be heard. Width, depth, tone all can affect your enjoyment of sound but the DAC implementation on the Intruder is pretty impressive.

At least that's the 'state of the union' with my aging ears and hearing. YMMV... :)

Dale

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #360 of 687
Hi all,

I'm still enjoying my new Intruder but just received my CLAS -dB earlier today. I'm enjoying it with an iDevice but having a small problem when using it with my MacBook Pro and hi-res audio. Read the full post over in the CLAS impressions thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549750/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-discussion-and-impressions-thread/1515#post_9802410

Anyone else notice issues with the CLAS/Intruder combo when using hi-res audio from a Mac?

Dale

FYI: it turns out it was a software EQ that was turned on and making a mess of things. Never let your friends play with your player software.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back