The interesting video thread
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Finding Flat: How to Interpret Headphone Measurements

Tyll's presentation on how to interpret his headphone measurements, and I especially liked the explanation regarding the target curve due to ear geometry and angle of the speakers placed toward you(45 degrees).

Please post videos that you find informative. I'd like to see and learn from them as well.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 7
at least specify a theme before we end up with a singing parrot video that somebody found informative. :wink:
electronic? acoustic? headphone only? Tyll's best shirts? anything goes?

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 7
I especially liked the explanation regarding the target curve due to ear geometry and angle of the speakers placed toward you(45 degrees).

Aren't stereo speakers supposed to be 60 degrees apart from the listener? 45 seems awfully narrow. On my system I have two sets of mains and I nested a set at about 45 degrees between a set at about 75. (It's a trick that enlarges the perceived sound stage so it matches my projection screen for movies.) I also have a center channel that keeps the middle from falling out.

Here is a video I really like. Feel free to skip past the introductions and general statements if you're pressed for time.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 7
By that do you mean L/R at ±30º from center?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 7
well Floyd Toole shattered the little confidence I had in speaker knowledge. in short a linear response curve on axis is nice, but off axis is better! I'm almost glad I bought my speakers at 'random', it saved me the headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back