The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Apr 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #211 of 233
Quote:
What didn't you like about Cease to Begin?

Besides its mesmerizing sticky, big, haunting sound, Everything All The Time strongly emphasizes on variation.

They put modification in almost every stanza, shorten some, lengthen some, sing it a little differently each time it repeats. Basically an entire album stands as an effort to outwit a pattern.

Cease to Begin simply took a 180 degree turn. It's an attempt to build a pattern and make you learn to enjoy it. It was just too much to bear.

However, when it finally grew on me, I found myself listening to CTB even more than EATT. Window Blues is my favorite BOH song.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #213 of 233
Quote:
I have been following Kurt Vile for some time now...his new album "Walkin On A Pretty Daze" is definitely his breakthrough album...a very nice album to listen to all the way through.

Agree. I have been listening to this album around 3-4 times. Beforehand I had only heard his second album, "God is.." But it never made some kind of impact on me, almost forgot about it before I heard this album. To me at least "Walking On.." very much connects the simplicity of Velvet Underground with something more complex in song structure like The Pavements and at the same time adding some hints of an old school electronica sound.
It gives me a strong sense that I already know it, heard it all before, but the originality lies in how extremely well it all blends together.
Not forgetting that the basic songwriting/lyrics is very impressive.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #214 of 233
Anybody got the new Dawes album yet? I want it, but I'm starved for good record stores here.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #215 of 233
Quote:
Quote:
I have been following Kurt Vile for some time now...his new album "Walkin On A Pretty Daze" is definitely his breakthrough album...a very nice album to listen to all the way through.

Agree. I have been listening to this album around 3-4 times. Beforehand I had only heard his second album, "God is.." But it never made some kind of impact on me, almost forgot about it before I heard this album. To me at least "Walking On.." very much connects the simplicity of Velvet Underground with something more complex in song structure like The Pavements and at the same time adding some hints of an old school electronica sound.
It gives me a strong sense that I already know it, heard it all before, but the originality lies in how extremely well it all blends together.
Not forgetting that the basic songwriting/lyrics is very impressive.

listened to it again today, very good album. I hear Lou Reed/Velvet Underground in there for sure, and maybe a little Dylan as well...""Ghost On Ghost" by Iron & Wine is next...

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #216 of 233

Quote:

listened to it again today, very good album. I hear Lou Reed/Velvet Underground in there for sure, and maybe a little Dylan as well...""Ghost On Ghost" by Iron & Wine is next...

I'll get a chance to listen to the Iron & Wine in a couple of days..

Quote:
Anybody got the new Dawes album yet? I want it, but I'm starved for good record stores here.

I have listened  to "Stories Don't End" a couple of times and so far I really like it. So if you really like their first two albums, which I strongly assume that you do :) Then I believe that you will not be disappointed with their latest. Straight out of the pocket it sounds more refined and original than previous releases. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #217 of 233

Heard an excellent interview of Kurt Vile on the Sound Ideas program on NPR today. Really like the dude and the vibe he gives off. A lot like his music of course. Pretty sure you can find it on the NPR.org site if you are interested.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #218 of 233
Quote:
Quote:

Heard an excellent interview of Kurt Vile on the Sound Ideas program on NPR today. Really like the dude and the vibe he gives off. A lot like his music of course. Pretty sure you can find it on the NPR.org site if you are interested.

Thanks, I visit NPR several times a day, I'll check it out...

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #220 of 233
Quote:
I have listened  to "Stories Don't End" a couple of times and so far I really like it. So if you really like their first two albums, which I strongly assume that you do :) Then I believe that you will not be disappointed with their latest. Straight out of the pocket it sounds more refined and original than previous releases. 

I've only heard the single (From a Window Seat) so far and liked it (though I believe they had a few contributors to that particular song that may give it a slightly different character from the rest of the album). I'm a huge Dawes fan, but none of my local stores have it in until late this week.

I'm almost tempted to listen to it on Grooveshark like I was when Sigur Ros's Valtari was leaked in MP3 format before its release last year, but I try to give my first listen to anything I like in full FLAC or analog format.

May 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #221 of 233
I went out and bought Stories Don't End a few weeks ago, and it proved to be an absolutely fantastic album. I love Dawes already, but it's certainly my favorite album from them yet. The only little issue I have is that it doesn't seem to have any really emotionally piercing pieces to the tune of "Peace In The Valley" or "Little Bit Of Everything", and seems to deal out the emotion in smaller doses. The mastering and layering of the music, though, and the nearly storylike flow of the songs, is phenomenal.

Another release I just got recently and have fallen in love with is the new Jim James solo album, Regions of Light and Sound of God. The music from My Morning Jacket's frontman is smooth and cool and almost reminiscent of Nick Drake at points, with floating guitars and voices that are so detailed, yet still very laid-back and not piercing in the least. However, this isn't a slow album like a lot of Nick Drake's stuff, and Jim James doesn't have a voice like the more famous singer's at all. It's hard to describe, but worth a listen. The single, "New Life", is one of the poppiest pieces of the album. It also was produced by Jim James himself, and the production value is outstanding as artist-produced albums go.

May 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #222 of 233
Quote:
I went out and bought Stories Don't End a few weeks ago, and it proved to be an absolutely fantastic album. I love Dawes already, but it's certainly my favorite album from them yet. The only little issue I have is that it doesn't seem to have any really emotionally piercing pieces to the tune of "Peace In The Valley" or "Little Bit Of Everything", and seems to deal out the emotion in smaller doses. The mastering and layering of the music, though, and the nearly storylike flow of the songs, is phenomenal.

Another release I just got recently and have fallen in love with is the new Jim James solo album, Regions of Light and Sound of God. The music from My Morning Jacket's frontman is smooth and cool and almost reminiscent of Nick Drake at points, with floating guitars and voices that are so detailed, yet still very laid-back and not piercing in the least. However, this isn't a slow album like a lot of Nick Drake's stuff, and Jim James doesn't have a voice like the more famous singer's at all. It's hard to describe, but worth a listen. The single, "New Life", is one of the poppiest pieces of the album. It also was produced by Jim James himself, and the production value is outstanding as artist-produced albums go.

I agree that the mastering and layering of "Stories Don't End" is excellent at least on my redbook version. 

I have to spend some more time with the Jim James album. I have only briefly listened to it a few times and still need to dig more into it, since I do like My Morning Jacket a lot and they are such a great live act.
The stage presence and performance of Jim James is astonishing, particular on a windy day.. 

Jim James voice can be hard to describe in a few words. I'm not sure that I can compare him directly with Nick Drake, expect for intensity. Jim James voice/harmonies/songs covers many grounds or reminiscent of many other artists. Which can be ranging from Beach Boys to Nick Drake? :)

There's actually one other singer who reminds me very much of Jim James and it is Robin Pecknold from Fleet Foxes..

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #224 of 233
I'm really liking Eliza Hull lately in terms of singer-songwriters and for bands The Red Paintings are awesome and have finally released a new album. Check them out!
regular_smile .gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #225 of 233
Today is finally the US release of Sigur Ros's new, faster album Kveikur, but my local record store accidentally had a copy on display on the day of the international release almost a week ago, so I've been enjoying it to my friends' envy for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back