The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #196 of 233
Quote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Local Natives. I have been trying hard to hype them a little bit here on HF :)   Agree with the songs that you mentioned and I may add that "Columbia" the very last track on the album to me at least seems to be the most emotionally and powerful track. This song can almost also be considered as the title song of the album.  Actually this track has some distinct reminiscence of the Band Of Horses, another excellent indie band.

Thanks for the youtube links. Enjoyed it very much. Winston Yellen, right of my left pocket, sounds to me very much like Ryan Adams. Which is absolutely not a bad thing :) I will listen to the whole album in a few days.

About 'Colombia' I echo your thoughts...it expresses a melancholic vibe, a vulnerability, best track of the album.

Unfortunately, Band of Horses's Mirage rock just does not click with me.

Yeah, he does sounds like Ryan Adams but I prefer the texture of Winston Yellen's vocals...I feel a tinge of lightness, innocence and fragility in them...like the reviews say...an arresting voice...it just captures your attention.

Recently, I came across a sensual, groovy and soulful album by Rhye, called Woman. Last year their single 'The Fall' captured my attention. This album is definitely worth a try.  

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #197 of 233
Quote:

About 'Colombia' I echo your thoughts...it expresses a melancholic vibe, a vulnerability, best track of the album.

Unfortunately, Band of Horses's Mirage rock just does not click with me.

Yeah, he does sounds like Ryan Adams but I prefer the texture of Winston Yellen's vocals...I feel a tinge of lightness, innocence and fragility in them...like the reviews say...an arresting voice...it just captures your attention.

Recently, I came across a sensual, groovy and soulful album by Rhye, called Woman. Last year their single 'The Fall' captured my attention. This album is definitely worth a try.  

Mirage by Band Of Horses was a disappointment to me. Their first three albums I like much better..

I actually posted about the Rhye album a couple of days ago in the New Releases 2013 thread and I can only agree it is marvelous album.. :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #198 of 233
I saw foxygen in concert last night and it was fantastic.  I tried to record it with a portable recorder but the dampener screwed up the recording.  Any susggestions about a good recorder?

The setup up I'm currently building and that I'm very excited about does video as well, but I'm mainly looking at it as an audio recorder: Fostex AR-4i and a Rode stereo videomic pro

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #199 of 233
Quote:

Mirage by Band Of Horses was a disappointment to me. Their first three albums I like much better..

My personal favorite is Cease To Begin; I saw them kicking off their world tour at the Farm Aid charity concert in Milwaukee two years ago, and bought a bunch of their stuff shortly afterwards.

I have to agree that Mirage is not the best they've been.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #200 of 233
Been listening to Waxahatchee today.  New album called Cerulean Salt.   A little morose perhaps on the lyrical side but somehow she carries it off and makes it all quite listenable.  Only her second album and I am thinking she is someone to watch.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #201 of 233
I know that it's not really considered Indie by most, but Neil Young's unplugged is worth a good listen for those of you into the folk sound. It's not mixed as badly as most lives, either.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #202 of 233
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned.  St Deluxe.  Think Dinosaur Jr. or maybe a Sonic Youth and you get the idea.  Lots of guitar and interesting lyrics.  Born Into Flame is their latest and I think it is pretty good.  Listen to Evil Dead for a good idea of their style and quirky lyrics.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #203 of 233
Something to share,

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

A rather sweet and original album. I like the fragility and ruggedness in the vocals of Matthew Houck.

Outstanding track is Song for Zula

https://soundcloud.com/deadoceans/phosphorescent-song-for-zula

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #204 of 233
Something to share,

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

A rather sweet and original album. I like the fragility and ruggedness in the vocals of Matthew Houck.

Outstanding track is Song for Zula

I have all their albums. They are an excellent band. If you buy direct you can get for a 38 dollar pack which was amazing. They come as just cd collection.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #205 of 233
Hey so I wrote a song. It is just guitar and I would like a little feedback. It is not mastered and like I said only guitar. I was hoping to share it with my friends on head-fi. My moniker will have to change since it is already used.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28520993/Tabula%20-%20Renaissance.mp3

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #206 of 233
I just discovered a band recently called Run River North. They used to be known as Monsters Calling Home.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #208 of 233
My new favorite is "Landshapes" the formerly "Lulu & the Lampshades" known for their cups song > youtube cover > pitch perfect.

If everything in their "Rambutan" album goes at the same level as this song, they got me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #209 of 233
mo
Quote:
My personal favorite is Cease To Begin; I saw them kicking off their world tour at the Farm Aid charity concert in Milwaukee two years ago, and bought a bunch of their stuff shortly afterwards.

I have to agree that Mirage is not the best they've been.

Mirage got me stunned by its simplicity. Anyway it took me two years before I can say I truly appreciate Cease To Begin. I was so disappointed at its release I hardly pick it up until a year or so passed and Julia Nunes did a cover of one of their song on youtube and I found it so captivating. 

My thoughts on Mirage is that they intentionally cut down so many musical aspects to the point where it's like Black & White photography. Here we have songs with 2-3 chords and very limited motifs, surely hard to swallow but very well worth it creative wise for a band pursuing development. I'll probably write about it more properly in the future.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #210 of 233
Quote:
mo
Mirage got me stunned by its simplicity. Anyway it took me two years before I can say I truly appreciate Cease To Begin. I was so disappointed at its release I hardly pick it up until a year or so passed and Julia Nunes did a cover of one of their song on youtube and I found it so captivating. 

My thoughts on Mirage is that they intentionally cut down so many musical aspects to the point where it's like Black & White photography. Here we have songs with 2-3 chords and very limited motifs, surely hard to swallow but very well worth it creative wise for a band pursuing development. I'll probably write about it more properly in the future.  

What didn't you like about Cease to Begin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back