The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Oct 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #91 of 233
I've been listening to these three alot since I just picked up the CD's somewhat recently.

Phoebe Killdeer & The Short Straws - Fade Out Lines

Lioness - You're My Heart

Dusted - Cut Them Free

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #92 of 233
And of course is you call Wilco indie, then wilco is the best indie band ever...

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #93 of 233
Mutemath(especially if you enjoy drumming), Wilco, Fleet Foxes, The Jezabels, Iron and Wine, My Morning Jacket, Tyler Ramsey, The Killers, Young the Giant, Loch Lomond, The xx, The Naked and Famous, Passion Pit, Band of Horses, The Shins, Muse, Radio Head, and probably more but I can't think of them right now.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #94 of 233
Passion Pits new album was horrible.  I really expected The XX to expand their sound, I wasnt too impressed with their follow up.

I didnt think this year was as good as last year for indie albums.  Maybe my interests are changing.  Swing Lo Magella, Burst Apart, Bloom and Kill for Love really stood out from the other stuff I heard that would be featured on Pitchfork, for example.  Actually I thought Channel Orange was a top 5 album of 2012.

When pitchfork gave Drake a "Best new album" ranking on his first album I pretty much stopped going there except for release dates.  This thread has me perusing their site again for the first time in a while... I see they gave him second album the same ranking.  Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #98 of 233
Quote:
New Tame Impala was released yesterday.  So far I am impressed, but I dont want to compare it to Innerspeak yet, as I loved that album.

Tame Impala's Lonerism is nice, I rather like the following tracks from the album. Good Psychadelia stuff! Maybe I should go try Innerspeak...

Apocalypse Dreams
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Mind Mischief
Elephant
Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control

As for Passion Pit's Gossamer, I have to say I like it quite a bit. The first five tracks are good indie pop and should be played on mainstream radio!

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #99 of 233
Check out David Wax Museum...Acoustic Guitar Magazine rated their album, "Everything Is Saved" as one of last year's best albums. I bought it and loved every song. I just bought their newest album, "Knock Knock Get Up" and it is also very good...recommended!

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #100 of 233
Quote:
Over this weekend, a band from Leeds called "alt-J" whose album "An Awesome Wave" caught my attention. Rather ingenious and innovative songs...check these out! see if they are your cup of tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeMiVU77wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkt4xU2wwhU&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXrX1lq2gBc&feature=related

This album is very good, I discovered it about a month ago after the local indie station played a track. Along those lines, if you like that album I would really recommend the s/t debut from Django Django, also a British band. The albums don't necessarily sound alike, but they go well together.

Portugal. the man

Wow, that's an oldie. I guess I kind of forgot about them after their first album for some reason. I should check them out again.

I really like their last one from 2011 actually, In the Mountain in the Cloud.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #101 of 233
Passion Pits new album was horrible.  I really expected The XX to expand their sound, I wasnt too impressed with their follow up.

I didnt think this year was as good as last year for indie albums.  Maybe my interests are changing.  Swing Lo Magella, Burst Apart, Bloom and Kill for Love really stood out from the other stuff I heard that would be featured on Pitchfork, for example.  Actually I thought Channel Orange was a top 5 album of 2012.

When pitchfork gave Drake a "Best new album" ranking on his first album I pretty much stopped going there except for release dates.  This thread has me perusing their site again for the first time in a while... I see they gave him second album the same ranking.  Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Gossamer? I think Take A Walk and Carried Away are 2 great songs, and there are more.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #102 of 233
New Tame Impala was released yesterday.  So far I am impressed, but I dont want to compare it to Innerspeak yet, as I loved that album.

Tame Impala's Lonerism is nice, I rather like the following tracks from the album. Good Psychadelia stuff! Maybe I should go try Innerspeak...

Apocalypse Dreams
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Mind Mischief
Elephant
Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control

As for Passion Pit's Gossamer, I have to say I like it quite a bit. The first five tracks are good indie pop and should be played on mainstream radio!

Elephant is awesooome

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 233
hi jeromium, i tried the self titled album of Django Django, the single 'Default' is really catchy and good fun! I like the album.... Thanks for the intro.

juanseamdor, if you like Tame Impala's Lonerism, you should try their earlier album - Innerspeak. There were really good tracks in that one...I particularly like these few:-

solitude is bliss
it is not meant to be
lucidity
the bold arrow of time
jeremy's storm
desire be desire go

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #104 of 233
Yesterday, I came across a news article recommending some new found indie folk/pop gems from UK. Their songs share a certain level of melancholic tone. Maybe some of you are aware of them. Or maybe they can be your cup of tea.

1. Kodaline - Dublin-based alternative rock quartet, They sound like the old times Coldplay - the 'Yellow' era.

All I want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOCmC_m23E

2. Luke Sital-Singh - "tremulous-voiced troubadour could be a British Bon Iver, destined to take folk traditions in unexpected directions."

Fail for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKrlthkBzA

3. Tom Odell - "Tom Odell has been named the first male winner of the critics' choice prize at next year's Brit awards"

Another Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwpMEbgC7DA

4. Keaton Henson - "The singer-songwriter has developed a cult following after recording music in the solitude of his London bedroom."

Sweetheart, what have you done to us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNtWKdi5Ds

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #105 of 233
hi jeromium, i tried the self titled album of Django Django, the single 'Default' is really catchy and good fun! I like the album.... Thanks for the intro.

juanseamdor, if you like Tame Impala's Lonerism, you should try their earlier album - Innerspeak. There were really good tracks in that one...I particularly like these few:-

solitude is bliss
it is not meant to be
lucidity
the bold arrow of time
jeremy's storm
desire be desire go

I know! I have both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back