The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Apr 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #35 of 233
^^Agreed. Awesome thread, but too bad it's so short and never got too much action :frowning2: How about...

Vampire Weekend

The Decemberists

Analog Rebellion

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 233

Quote:
Here is one of my favorites: Pink Martini: Sympathique    Kind of Indie Jazz/Lounge

Huh, nice.

Here's one of the most interesting discoveries I've made in a while. I don't even know what to say about it (in a good way). Listener:

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #38 of 233
Here's some completely underrated and/or relative unknown artists all worth looking into if anyone are into the 80/90 indie sound of
Dream Syndicate/Giant Sand/Pixies/Jesus and The Mary Chain/Morphine/Nick Cave/The Replacements/Violent Femmes/Mercury Rev/The Feelies/The Church?The Wedding Presents etc.

Then these artist are IMO absolutely worth while listening to:

Laughing Clowns
Dumptruck
Dramarama
Died Pretty
Jah Wobble
Blinker The Star
The Posies
The Chills
Kim Salmon
Hoodoo Gurus

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #39 of 233

Quote:
^ Thanks. I like The Decemberists.

Here is one of my favorites: Pink Martini: Sympathique    Kind of Indie Jazz/Lounge

That is for me a stunning album.  Absolutely beautiful.  Unfortunately, I haven't felt the same about anything they've done since then.

One of my indie favorites:

Camera Obscura - Underachievers Please Try Harder

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #40 of 233

Quote:

Quote:

That is for me a stunning album.  Absolutely beautiful.  Unfortunately, I haven't felt the same about anything they've done since then.

One of my indie favorites:

Camera Obscura - Underachievers Please Try Harder

I think Pink Martini's Hang on Little Tomato is quite good as well. I also bought Hey Eugene! , I did not regret my purchase, although I have not heard anything completely novel / different than their earlier work. Even though I do not listen to jazz that much, I like their miniature orchestra style and China Forbes' vocal. Not sure about their later recordings though.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #41 of 233

Quote:

I think Pink Martini's Hang on Little Tomato is quite good as well. I also bought Hey Eugene! , I did not regret my purchase, although I have not heard anything completely novel / different than their earlier work. Even though I do not listen to jazz that much, I like their miniature orchestra style and China Forbes' vocal. Not sure about their later recordings though.

I might have to give Hang on... another try.  I remember not being very thrilled with Hey Eugene.  Just didn't catch my attention after a couple listens.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #42 of 233
My favorite right now is Howler, a small band from Minneapolis that got signed to Rough Trade Records. They're being compared to The Strokes, but I never got into The Strokes so i can't comment on that, I feel like they're going to be the next big thing, once their name get outs of course. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #44 of 233
Not a fan of The Decemberists like many are, but I love Ray Lamontagne, Feist, and Glen Hansard/Marketa Irglova (specifically the Swell Season).

Oh and don't forget the greats like Dylan who got the prog /indie /folk genre started.

Sent from my (*) using Tapafux.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #45 of 233

Quote:
Here's some completely underrated and/or relative unknown artists all worth looking into if anyone are into the 80/90 indie sound of
Dream Syndicate/Giant Sand/Pixies/Jesus and The Mary Chain/Morphine/Nick Cave/The Replacements/Violent Femmes/Mercury Rev/The Feelies/The Church?The Wedding Presents etc.

Then these artist are IMO absolutely worth while listening to:

Laughing Clowns
Dumptruck
Dramarama
Died Pretty
Jah Wobble
Blinker The Star
The Posies
The Chills
Kim Salmon
Hoodoo Gurus

Saw Blinker the Star about 12 years ago in Portland, Oregon and really liked their sound - didn't know what they were doing in a near-empty bar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back