The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
May 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #16 of 233
If you're feeling sinister was the reason for the name of my first mail address :)

Other great bands would be Mazzy Star, Akron Family, Seachange or Savoy Grand ..

May 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #17 of 233

Quote:
I wanted to show some love to one of my favorite indie bands: Belle and Sebastian. 

Witty, melancholy and humorous lyrics showcased by delicately crafted melodies, there's a certain timelessness to their sound that's hard to come by. For the uninitiated, these two albums should give an idea of the range of their sound. If You're Feelings Sinister is bare, folksy and whimsical while The Life Pursuit is more robustly produced pop goodness. Both are essential listening, in my opinion. 

If you like these two, check out Boy With The Arab Strap, Dear Catastrophe Waitress and Write About Love. 

Long time fan, but I don't really feel it with Write About Love. I mean it's catchy and all, but just not as 'smart' as the earlier stuff. Oh, and Tigermilk is more essential than Life Pursuit :wink:

Monoethylene, you know Hope Sandoval has put out a couple of solo albums? I think it's just as brilliant as her Mazzy stuff.

Another one of the big ones:

Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow

May 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 233

Quote:

Long time fan, but I don't really feel it with Write About Love. I mean it's catchy and all, but just not as 'smart' as the earlier stuff. Oh, and Tigermilk is more essential than Life Pursuit :wink:

Monoethylene, you know Hope Sandoval has put out a couple of solo albums? I think it's just as brilliant as her Mazzy stuff.

Right now I know it..Thanks a lot, I will check it out today..

To stick to the thread, I dont know but for me Beth Gibbons and or Bill Callahan will count to this genre as well :)

May 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 233

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #20 of 233
The new album from Gomez 'Whatever's on your Mind' is OK, but has lost much of the bravery and experimentation of the earlier albums.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #24 of 233
Bombay Bicycle Club, a very well made album with lots of great, happy tracks.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 233
It has taken a few listens, but Gomez's latest album has finally started to sound good.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 233
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #29 of 233
yeh, I like BBC too.  Also been lately listening to Tennis, Surgeons in Heat, Imperial Teen, Cults, Clogs, so many others.  I am over sixty years old, been into Home Reproduction of Music for at least 35 years.  I listen to a lot of streamed music these days; KCRW, Indie Rock Cafe, NPR All Songs Considered, WFMU, WWOZ, others. I pay for MOG every month and think it well worth it, 320 kbps ya know.  I think MOG is amazing.  I mean they even had Youn Sun Nah. I sometimes think we are in sort of a Golden Age of Music, and for someone who grew up with the Beach Boys and Beatles, that is saying something.
But right now I am listening to" Chill Factor" by a guy named Merle Haggard.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 233
Right now I'm hooked on:
The Arctic Monkeys
The xx
Modest Mouse
Voxtrot
The Flaming Lips 
I recently discovered The Libertines, I know, I'm a little late hoppin' on that band wagon
and finally, Howler
I absolutely love Howler, they're a small band from Minnesota that just got signed to Rough Trade Records. I'm stoked for their next album, albeit that won't be for awhile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back