Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #451 of 5,538
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #452 of 5,538
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #453 of 5,538
Specs-wise, yes. But it all comes down to SQ based on what you plug into them. I think Cayin's competition is not Sony, it's (sister company) HiBy, A&K, Shanling and (possibly) FiiO. I believe we're going to see more spec-current flagships (or even mainstream) DAPs this year, so again it's going to come down to SQ. It'll also be interesting to see if Cayin releases a dedicated R-2R DAP as an N6ii successor this year.
Completely agree... we are getting to a point, like smartphones got there already, where specs don't matter much anymore, the majority of releases are from really good to great and the "flaws" are most of the time nitpicking.

I think the N8ii trade-off are completely understandable and forgettable if SQ is great. they definitely have what can be a long term classic, as N8 is to date.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #454 of 5,538
I was told it’ll be available early March. Hopefully no delays.
Look forward to your impressions, especially relative to R8. I'm sure we'll be getting some hands-on stuff from @aaf evo and @Damz87 soon too, and early reviews from @twister6 and @Currawong. The deluge of CanJam NY feedback this weekend is going to be mad!

Completely agree... we are getting to a point, like smartphones got there already, where specs don't matter much anymore, the majority of releases are from really good to great and the "flaws" are most of the time nitpicking.

I think the N8ii trade-off are completely understandable and forgettable if SQ is great. they definitely have what can be a long term classic, as N8 is to date.
For sure! I think the battle to watch is R-2R vs these 'new' DS DACs, especially since Cayin was one of the companies that revived R-2R for the DAP market when AKM went up in smoke. That's more about the sound philosophy vs spec sheet. Fun and games.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #456 of 5,538
It does look good on spec and price, I'll await some feedback on sq I think, primarily vs MAX. I've had M9 sat pretty much new in the box and it's still not shifted despite the give away price, don't want to add to the collection!

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #458 of 5,538
Anyone preordering N8ii also have C9 in your possession, I would very much appreciate comparison of technical performance differences in your impressions..

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #459 of 5,538
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #460 of 5,538
Anyone preordering N8ii also have C9 in your possession, I would very much appreciate comparison of technical performance differences in your impressions..
I'm waiting for the first "N8ii is great but C9 takes it to another level..." post. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #461 of 5,538
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #463 of 5,538
Balanced tube amplification with matched paired KORG Nutube 6P1

Our Vacuum Tube/Solid State Dual Timber feature shook the world back in May 2018. It was considered a miracle to portable audio industry when we managed to solve the microphonic problem with innovative techniques and for the first time, facilitates choice of vacuum tube and solid state timbre in a portable DAP. Unfortunately we can only install one Nutube 6P1 in N8, so the vacuum tube is only available to Single-end headphone output. We received loads of comment and request to make the vacuum tube timbre available to balanced output as well. Naturally, when we start our N8ii project, one of the priority requirements is to implement a fully balanced Tube Amplification circuit in N8ii.

Launch 02 Nutube.jpg

Circuit Design

To be frank, with the experience and track record of Cayin on design and manufacturing of vacuum tube amplifier, circuit design with Nutube in balanced configuration is hardly a real challenge. Ever since we lay our hands on KORG Nutube 6P1, we have conducted very thorough study to apply the “flat” miniature Double Triode in different circuit design. We have gone through over 30 rounds of PCB with Nutube already, which roughly tells how exhaustive we are on this subject.

Based on the feedback from dealers and users on N8 and C9, and our observations to market response in past 10 years (Cayin entered Personal Audio market since 2013), we adopt Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop circuit in N8ii design. This will deliver strong current and impressive handling at difficult loads. We have adjusted the feedback loop carefully to enhance the transparency, transient, and extension that can rival the best solid-state circuit but yet remain warm and mellow.

To a certain extent, Zero Gain Negative Feedback Loop is not a design that is preferred by typical tube enthusiasts because this offers less tube flavor relatively. However, we believe this is more in line with the market preference as portable DAP users tend to appreciate transparent, crispy, and well-defined presentations with a faster transient. In our opinion, there is no right and wrong on these issues. The vacuum tube is the mean, not the end, therefore maximizing tube flavor is not necessarily the most important objective. It’s our duty, as a vendor, to understand the market we serve and provide options for the bigger crowd's needs.

Launch 02 Nutube N8ii.jpg

Reinventing the Nutube installation.

The Dual Nutube implementation in N8ii is even more challenging than C9 because of limited space and form factor. There is not enough room to lay the two Nutube flat like N8 and C9 because we need to accommodate a bigger screen for Android implementation. We can’t lay it flat on the bottom panel either because that will reduce the space available for battery. Finally we started the process all over again and developed mechanical shock absorption and damping system to install the Nutube vertically. The new installation system involves:
  • Compartmentalized CNC Aluminum chassis to create an isolated, fully damped chamber for Nutube installation
  • Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) to minimize shock transmission
  • Custom Built Shock-absorption Silicon Housing to hold and damp the Nutube
  • Vertical-hanged Suspension Pin to mount the Nutube and Silicon Housing into the designated chamber securely
Having a dedicated chamber to isolate the Nutube from the main PCB is a head start in dealing with microphonic and anti-interference. We are surprised by the final result of this new design, it works like a charm and we are confident that the N8ii can cover our daily activities effectively.

Launch 02 Nutube instalation.jpg

_V8A8041-2.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #464 of 5,538
I'm waiting for the first "N8ii is great but C9 takes it to another level..." post. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
There are those who have heard the C9 and there are those who have not 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back