Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4,366 of 5,538
Here's a "dumb" question that I've been wondering about for a while. With an Android phone, there are usually 3 home buttons and one of them (usually far right) will show you all the apps you have open in a carousel so you can close them. With only ONE button on the N8ii, how do you do the same thing to make sure unused apps are closed? I've done it before inadvertently but not sure how to do it accurately every time?What am I missing?

Not that it matters im sure for this...but still have not updated the last two firmwares due to issues (battery, etc) I've heard on here and no need for the changes. The old adage: Why fix what's not broken?
Slide up from the bottom to show open apps. You can close them by x's, clear all, or by swiping them L or R.

Jul 9, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #4,367 of 5,538
Making this a separate thread to differentiate:

Speaking of battery, I did a test to see how long it would last between "single-digit drops" plugged in and not plugged in. Not plugged in, at 75% charged, it took about 5 minutes to drop to 74%.then same to 73%. Plugged into my 60w PD charger mentioned previously , it took 7 1/2 minutes to drop to that same 74% / 73%. 2.5min difference doesn't sound like a lot...but at 90% charge that's over 11 hours use plugged in versus only about 7.5 not.

Granted I run High CPU usage DSD 90% of the time...but have folks here found a charger that will actually hold the battery steady or even make it climb while listening?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #4,368 of 5,538
Slide up from the bottom to show open apps. You can close them by x's, clear all, or by swiping them L or R

Thank you. I thought I tried that but next time I use it I'll look closer. That should be inherent in the Android version and have nothing to do with the firmware.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #4,369 of 5,538

Speaking of battery, I did a test to see how long it would last between "single-digit drops" plugged in and not plugged in. Not plugged in, at 75% charged, it took about 5 minutes to drop to 74%.then same to 73%. Plugged into my 60w PD charger mentioned previously , it took 7 1/2 minutes to drop to that same 74% / 73%. 2.5min difference doesn't sound like a lot...but at 90% charge that's over 11 hours use plugged in versus only about 7.5 not.

Granted I run High CPU usage DSD 90% of the time...but have folks here found a charger that will actually hold the battery steady or even make it climb while listening?
I incidentally found a playing & charging simultaneously combination in which battery level (around 60%) was held steady for at least 2 or 3 hours. Not HiRes, though.

Playing: UAPP, playing 16/44.1 PCM-FLAC local files from SD card at 35M Bal-PO P Tu AB. Flight Mode. IEM Sennheiser IE 900. UAPP set to bit-perfect.

Charging: Standard Apple 5 W (5 V 1 A) into the Cayin stock USB-A to USB-C cable, i.e. slow charging.

No temperature issue at all.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #4,370 of 5,538
5. Experiment. If you run out of volume on low gain then you'll need to up it regardless. Best to use your ears to find what suits you best. Most folks are generally on medium or high. Low to my ears can sound a little less...dynamic...
Use your ears.... :wink:
… found your previous post … :wink:

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #4,371 of 5,538

I incidentally found a playing & charging simultaneously combination in which battery level (around 60%) was held steady for at least 2 or 3 hours. Not HiRes, though.

Playing: UAPP, playing 16/44.1 PCM-FLAC local files from SD card at 35M Bal-PO P Tu AB. Flight Mode. IEM Sennheiser IE 900. UAPP set to bit-perfect.

Charging: Standard Apple 5 W (5 V 1 A) into the Cayin stock USB-A to USB-C cable, i.e. slow charging.

No temperature issue at all.
I use ifi ipower elite to charge my n8ii while playing at its highest (P+, high gain, tubes on) with DSD and high resolution flac. it can charge up. just need fans to keep it ventilated

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #4,372 of 5,538
In UAPP disable bitperfect, then go into the EQ section and select Crossfeed
How good this feature working on N8ii while bit perfect disabled vs no CrossFeed and bit perfect enabled? Don’t have N8ii arrived yet, cannot check it. But with my current DAP N6ii R01 - the sound quality degradation too much for my ears, when crossfeed enabled. In same time, win10 with Audirvāna and CanOpener plug-in I didn’t detect any significant Difference in SQ while plug-in ON/OFF.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #4,373 of 5,538
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #4,375 of 5,538
No, I have not 😭. Still waiting for a sign from musicteck.

But I could not wait so lang, so I purchased a second one from a local guy. I know this sounds stupid, but I really missed it and the summer already started here in Europe.

But thanks for questioning! 👍🏻
Now that you mention it
Hope @SteffSergeant did ... 🤞

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,376 of 5,538
I am happy with my player, but after updating to 1.5, the computer stopped seeing the player as a USB DAC. The player shows the USB DAC picture, but the computer does not see it. The player also stopped showing the charging process from the computer's USB. I did a full reset as described earlier and charging started, but the USB DAC mode did not return. Of course, the default USB configuration is Audio in. The computer, of course, rebooted, turned off and did a reset. Nothing helped. How can it return 1.4 ? Can anyone with version 1.5 test the USB DAC mode? I have an Apple m1, it does not need a USB driver.

Thanks

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,377 of 5,538
I am happy with my player, but after updating to 1.5, the computer stopped seeing the player as a USB DAC. The player shows the USB DAC picture, but the computer does not see it. The player also stopped showing the charging process from the computer's USB. I did a full reset as described earlier and charging started, but the USB DAC mode did not return. Of course, the default USB configuration is Audio in. The computer, of course, rebooted, turned off and did a reset. Nothing helped. How can it return 1.4 ? Can anyone with version 1.5 test the USB DAC mode? I have an Apple m1, it does not need a USB driver.

Thanks
Please, friendly reminder to Cayin (@Andykong and @CayinSupport) as well as HiBy (probably): As reported previously, the same error occurs with Linux PCs. No driver needed either.

EDIT addendum:
- Observed earlier than 1.5 with my Linux PC.
- @WDitters: How is the status with Windows?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #4,378 of 5,538

Thanks

In the context of 'better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' I decided to share the outcome of what @Andykong and @CayinSupport were so good to investigate when I raised this very issue with them:

Andy Kong said:
Our Engineers have followed up on your inquiry and identified the root cause of your problems. Unfortunately, the situation s a bit more complicated than they expected, so they asked me to explain the situation to you.

The reason why USB DAC cannot be used with v1.4 firmware is that MQA added HID into our system. Since the USB DAC of N8ii only support USB2.0, when you connect N8ii to a USB 3.0 port, the HID verification will consider this as an invalid connection. With v1.3 or previous firmware, we don't have HID in the loop, so there is no mechanism to falsify the connection, and USB DAC is working between N8ii and USB3.0 ports.

Theoretically, you can solve the problem by:
Connect N8ii to a USB2.0 port of your computerUse a USB2.0 cable to connect your computer to N8ii
This will enable the N8ii to function as a USB DAC for your computer at USB2.0. Unfortunately, after checking the specification of the three notebook computers on your list, they don't offer a USB2.0 port. In addition, most, if not all, of the USB ports are in USB Type-C, making it difficult to find a USB2.0 cable for your purpose.

The problem cannot be fixed through a firmware update because USB2.0 for USB-DAC is a hardware limitation. Theoretically, you can add a Type-C Male to Type A Female USB 2.0 Adapter to fall back your USB connection to USB2.0. If you want to add the adapter to your computer, you need an OTG-ready adapter (HERE) because USB Audio output required OTG compliance. If you want to plug the USB 2.0 adapter into N8ii, you can use any adapter that fit the description (HERE), OTG is not required at the DAC end of the connection.

Once again, we are sorry for all the inconvenience caused. Please feel free to contact me or service@cayin.cn if you run into any further problems with your N8ii.

Regards,
@Andykong

I can confirm that the OTG workaround solves the issue...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #4,379 of 5,538
In the context of 'better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' I decided to share the outcome of what @Andykong and @CayinSupport were so good to investigate when I raised this very issue with them:

I can confirm that the OTG workaround solves the issue...
Thanks for relaying this to us, @WDitters! Sorry, I edited my post above while you answered.

So I have to try a USB 2.0 port on my Linux machine …

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,380 of 5,538
Thanks for relaying this to us, @WDitters! Sorry, I edited my post above while you answered.

So I have to try a USB 2.0 port on my Linux machine …

Or force an USB 3.x port to drop down to USB 2.0 via the OTG adapter. I used the one that was included with my Samsung Smartphone and that worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back