The Impossible Dream? Looking for a very tough, durable in-ear with replaceable parts.....
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

intelegant

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I seem to get through more headphones than most - and I look after them well. I want a pair of tough, durable, in-ears with replaceable parts. I want to use them outdoors (walking and cycling on cycle paths in Sweden, and I realize all the arguments for and against in-ears outdoors, but every day for five years I know it's what I like),  in the gym, and listening to my playlists, radio, and watching DVDs on my Macbook Pro. I use headphones a lot and like noise isolation especially when writing essays and doing research.

I loved my Klipsch S5i but they too have given up the ghost: one of the cans popped open and the wires are off. (I handed them over to a friend with a solder iron but he can't fix it). 

Something with a track controller for the iphone would be nice but it's not a deal breaker.

I am no hi-fi expert, just a guy wanting a pair of in-ears that will last longer than 12 months - so tough, sounds good, has replaceable parts, works with an iPhone...  

Is there anyone yet making these? I came across a start-up company called IronBuds, who has the concept down, but is yet to manufacture. All other research is fairly fruitless, so I turn to the source of all knowledge of things headphone and hi-fi =/

Huge thanks in advance! 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 16
The Sennheiser IE8 offers removeable cable and sturdy built quality with overall great soundquality include deep punchy dynamic bass and huge out of head soundstage. The other IEMs like EX600, SE215, UETF10Pro, UM3x, SM3 V2 are recommended.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
The Sennheiser IE8 offers removeable cable and sturdy built quality with overall great soundquality include deep punchy dynamic bass and huge out of head soundstage. The other IEMs like EX600, SE215, UETF10Pro, UM3x, SM3 V2 are recommended.

The EX600 are excellent sounding IEMs, but not suited for cycling because of wind noise.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 16
So far, so great! Will defintely check out these recommendations - it seems so crazy that millions of earphones just go straight into landfill every year - it's like having shoes and throwing them away because a lace breaks - it's really wasteful, expensive, and drives everyone crazy! 
rolleyes.gif

OK - let's make this REALLY challenging!

Same spec - cheap or cheapest price. Is it now impossible?

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 16
I'd already ordered a pair of MEElectronic's M6 from Frogbeats in the UK as a stand-by (though threads here suggest my research is definitely on target with those!) Still would love to find my dream earbuds - but yup $160 - $200+ is tooooo much for this poor family man.....it's my fault I should have said price matters in my original request. I should also add, as you guys know more than I ever will, that I listen to mostly classical, (particularly piano music as that's what I play), acoustic folk / new-folk, and a lot of film score music. Not very much music with drums or a beat at all. Hope this helps and please keep 'em coming!

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 16
You've got two distinct use patterns, why not get two separate IEMs? Get some cheap, sturdy buds for exercise, the lack of isolation is a plus if you're out and about. Then get some decently isolating IEMs for listening or quiet work.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I'd already ordered a pair of MEElectronic's M6 from Frogbeats in the UK as a stand-by (though threads here suggest my research is definitely on target with those!) Still would love to find my dream earbuds - but yup $160 - $200+ is tooooo much for this poor family man.....it's my fault I should have said price matters in my original request. I should also add, as you guys know more than I ever will, that I listen to mostly classical, (particularly piano music as that's what I play), acoustic folk / new-folk, and a lot of film score music. Not very much music with drums or a beat at all. Hope this helps and please keep 'em coming!

I think in your price range you won't easily find replaceable cables, so what about a solidly built budget IEM with lifetime warranty? I listen to a lot of classical and acoustic stuff and the Koss KDX200 sound pretty good with that kind of music. Plus, they seem to be easily available in Sweden. Check out my review.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Well they seem very well built for the price, aluminum housings, proper strain reliefs and all. Of course you never know until you've had them for a longer period, but in my book the lifetime warranty inspires confidence.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Entry level customs definitely wont break, but about $450 for a pair not including aftermarket cables if you want them to look pertty.

Ermm, apart from the fact that the OP doesn't want to spend $200+, imo customs have to be treated very carefully, at least if we're talking about hard acrylic shells. In fact my customs are the only IEMs that I don't dare to just shove in my pocket (for fear of chipping the acrylic), so I have to use a case every single time I take them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back