the importance of bypassing the kmixer
Jun 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

qedao

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, sorry for my english:

I use windows xp sp3 and Itunes (bad, no bitperfecct) I was trying to test the difference by using windows xp sp3 and foobar and asio4all (bitperfect i belive). I could not heard a very obvious difference, is it so big the difference with or without bitperfect for you guys?

Maybe im doing something wrong, when using foobar and asio4all, i move the sound levels on the windows tool and the wave level is actually bypassed but the master volume continues to be active ie not baypassed. Is this consistent with the bit perfect thing?

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 8
yes, sound is less distorted(any resampling increases the THD+N rates), it's slightly better...not night and day.

try KMixer for a week, then go KS or ASIO...and see if you can hear any difference
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, sound is less distorted(any resampling increases the THD+N rates), it's slightly better...not night and day.

try KMixer for a week, then go KS or ASIO...and see if you can hear any difference
beerchug.gif

Assuming KMixer is doing SRC which it may or may not be, more info HERE...

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 8
if it bugs you, just bypass it, otherwise leave it alone. it's not rocket science, but can be quite frustrating.
first you'll have to check if your hardware actually supports bitperfect playback. what soundcard do you use?

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MerlinWerks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming KMixer is doing SRC which it may or may not be, more info HERE...

good point, maybe it's not as evil as ppl want you to believe...but anyway it's easy to bypass in foobar or Reclock, so why bother?
there's also a story of volume level, you have to keep the WAVE volume at max? anyway, KS/ASIO/WASAPI come to the rescue
beyersmile.png

I used my former soundcard in DS for a while, then found some old bit-perfect drivers...and it was a CLEAR improvement
eek.gif

sound was clearer, soundstage was wider, the SQ was just WAY better
smily_headphones1.gif

and then retards on the foobar/hydrogen-audio forum will tell you that noone can hear KMixer
rolleyes.gif

you can actually measure KMixer's distorsion...just like any SRC it will increase the THD+N rate
redface.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 8
I join the rest of the bunch - sound quality definitely improves, even more-so with WASAPI (Vista).

Of course it depends on the rest of your other components. Although I support the notion that source improvements are always audible, maybe your system is not transparent enough to reflect the changes.

as the other person suggested earlier, I advise you to switch back and forth between the two playback modes from time to time (once every few days) and see if you hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back