The importance of a good PSU
Jan 25, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #76 of 92
I've been using the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe for about a year. Yes, the stock northbridge fan is a howler. I couldn't stand it and replaced it with a Zalman passive cooler. It has been working OK for almost 9 months.

Power supply is a Seasonic S12-600. I'm only running one 6600GT and don't game much, but I went for the large PSU because I have 6 internal hard drives.

I recently added 2GB RAM and plan to upgrade to an Athlon X2 soon.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #78 of 92
I got the board below the deluxe, the nForce4 SLi, does this one have that same northbridge fan?

'Howler', is that a squeal or a hum?

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
.... If you have a 330watt psu that runs at 80% efficiency that means you have 264watts of actual power and 66watts generated into heat. The less heat generaed, the slower the fan can run and the quieter the whole thing will be. Anyway, thats my primer on psu's.

If you have a 330 watt psu, that means your psu is rated to supply a maximum of 330 watts DC, while drawing around 420 watts or so of AC from the outlet. But, most computers use far less power than 330 watts -- probably around 75 watts to 150 watts.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #80 of 92
Tachikoma, PC-related prices in Taiwan are low, but many components are cheaper in the US, based on Newegg prices. Especially higher-end. Seasonic is based in Taiwan, so I assume their prices here are among the lowest available.

Chri5peed, howler as in very annoyingly loud. It was easily the loudest fan in my PC before I got rid of it. I would describe it as a turbine-like high pitched "wheeeeee."

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #81 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Chri5peed, howler as in very annoyingly loud. It was easily the loudest fan in my PC before I got rid of it. I would describe it as a turbine-like high pitched "wheeeeee."

Does the 'cool & quiet' feature affect this?

I've read numerous reviews on the ASUS, being noisy has never been mentioned?

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #83 of 92
No, the northbridge fan sgrossklass and I are talking about has nothing to do with the CPU. It's an extra small fan on the mobo. Most reviews and discussions about the Asus A8N mobo series should mention the NB fan.

The latest Asus A8N model, A8N-SLI Premium SE or something like that, doesn't have the northbridge fan. It has passive copper cooler instead.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #84 of 92
Got my system up and running now. Don't know what peoples idea of loud is, but this is quieter than my old PC.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #85 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Got my system up and running now. Don't know what peoples idea of loud is, but this is quieter than my old PC.

Loud is when you can tell whether it is on or off by using your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #86 of 92
Well, after reading this thread I bought a Seasonic S12-380 to replace one that came with a $30 generic case. I just installed it now, and the second I put my headphones on, the difference was incredible.

The most noticable thing was that the bass was much stronger. It also seems like the soundstage is wider, and the sound is more detailed. I only have a prodigy 7.1 lt soundcard and a pair of sennheiser hd-497's, but it sounds like I have a completely new pair of headphones.

Best $60 i've spent in a while.

Steve

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #87 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Well, after reading this thread I bought a Seasonic S12-380 to replace one that came with a $30 generic case. I just installed it now, and the second I put my headphones on, the difference was incredible.

The most noticable thing was that the bass was much stronger. It also seems like the soundstage is wider, and the sound is more detailed. I only have a prodigy 7.1 lt soundcard and a pair of sennheiser hd-497's, but it sounds like I have a completely new pair of headphones.

Steve

I can easily see how a decent power supply would have the same effect as getting a good amp. Its all about the power man!
Plus the PSU has other things to worry about too; HDDs, Optical drives, Mobo...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
Loud is when you can tell whether it is on or off by using your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Just.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #88 of 92
I just read through this thread and am surprised that no one has mentioned SilenX power supplies. (If I missed your post, apologies). You can find them at:

http://www.silenx.com

They are not inexpensive. But they make fantastic passive power supplies. They still throw off some electrical noise, but not nearly as much because they don't have fans. And without the fans, they don't make any sonic noise, either. A lot of them are used in studios and production areas because of this. SilenX also makes great hard drive quieting/cooling devices and silent system fans.

Another good choice (that has been already mentioned) is PC Power & Cooling. I've been very happy with their products, too.

But if you really want to quiet (electrically) the inside of your computer, put shielding on the cables. The easiest way to do this is to put shielding on tubular cable keepers (you can get a roll for $5-$10 at most eletronics stores) and apply shielding to that. It'll cut way back on stray RF, keep your cables neat and improve airflow.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #89 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveZ

Steve

I have a thermaltake PSU that is virtually quiet.Now how many watts is that Seasonic putting out and where did you get it at that price?

Funny,i seen this thread awhile back but i guess it sliped my mind to put this on my must have list.Too much upgrading this month.

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #90 of 92
I have a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 512 Express/SLI, cost a little over $200, but I am a heavy overclocker and I needed a very solid PSU. You get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back