The "I'm Not Blown Away By Westone 3" Thread
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% agreed.... i wanna know how it sounds...not wether you think its best.

I've had this epiphany (relatively) recently
biggrin.gif
. Saves me so much time and energy not having to read impressions etc (don't get me wrong, I still read and enjoy readin em but I ultimately know tryin it for myself is the anwser, where possible).

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #47 of 88
Going by your sound signature (BASS!), I'd say from what users have stated about sound signatures so far either IE8 or Westone 3 would be best for you. With maybe IE8 slightly ahead since it has an adjustable bass tuner on it.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too many people are too concerned about what is best. and the fact is, its not whats best but what is best for your sound preference.

there was always going to be big comparisons between the westone 3 and others when that came out, and lots have said ''awww its the best'', but because of this sort of comment i havnt bothered going for it because i just dont wanna here this, i wanna know how it sounds...not wether you think its best.

This is a forum of opinions, descriptions and referrals on audio products. Just about every post is about "how it sounds". Of course it is silly to say it is best without describing why. But if a person says I have had IEM "X", "Y" and now "Z" and says they prefer "Z" and explains why....what more do you want?

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #49 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a forum of opinions, descriptions and referrals on audio products. Just about every post is about "how it sounds". Of course it is silly to say it is best without describing why. But if a person says I have had IEM "X", "Y" and now "Z" and says they prefer "Z" and explains why....what more do you want?

Yeah, u've pretty much nailed a template of what a good capture of impressions/review should be like for it to be useful in aiding others' descisions on buying/trying said product.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the tons of stuff I've read, unfortunately, an audition won't be very fair since you'll need sufficient amount of time to play with your gear, tips and adjust to the sound to give a fair judgment. Not to mention some of these sound better after a few days of burn-in.

Nevertheless, I think you'll be happy with what you get even just from an initial audition at a non-controlled environment.

Well, I think the demo pairs at the store would be sufficiently burnt in after lots of use, but I do agree with you about the fit thing.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #51 of 88
+1 to the op. These are quick impressions and they may change. I don't believe IEM require burn-in based on my previous experiences.

I just got my Westone 3 today. Spent around 5 hours with them. Sources were iphone (lossless and Pandora radio) and Stello Sig DAC to EF1 (lossless). No hiss or hum problem with the EF1. I tried my little dot I+, but it had hum and also acted funny. Don't recommend it. The Westone 3 sounds good out of the iphone. Using a better source and amp does not remove the main flaw of the Westone 3, nor does it drastically improve the Westone 3.

I tried out a bunch of the tips. My favorite would have to be the medium thin-sized foam one. Roll them up, use your opposite hand to lift up your ear and lightly twist the armature into your ear canal. Great fit and comfortable. The tips do make quite a difference.

The Westone 3 excels at what they should.
+ Portability
+ Comfort
+ Isolation

They are very much like the UM2s, but improved. Greater soundstage (surprised me a bit), more finesse, and balance. The problem with the UM2, IMO, was that the lows and mids seem to blend together, some vocals would sound really smushy. They would carry too much weight. The soundstage was a bit narrow as well.

As for the sound signature. I would compare the Westone 3 to the Senn HD650 (underpowered).

Warm
Smooth
Laid Back
A bit on the bassy side.
Veiled - Yes, this is the flaw.

The Westone 3 are not what I would called detailed in terms of clarity. They are detailed in terms of overall presentation. You'll be able to outline the music pretty good, but you can't really "see" into it. Maybe this is just something that IEM can't do. UE10... maybe?

I would rank the ESW10JPN a few steps above the Westone 3 in terms of sound quality and preference. I think I may actually be a detail freak after being a long time senn fan. If you like the 650 traits, then chances are you'd like the Westone 3. But if you do not need isolation and ultraportability, I don't see the need to get IEMs. I will be using these for isolation (commuting, reading, etc) and ultraportability (jogging, etc). I'll be getting the UM56 in a few weeks.

I'll also be comparing them to the SE530 when my Pico arrives. I'll try out the P51 as well. I think I may actually prefer the SE530, but the whole case cracking and wire issues... :| . The build quality of the Westone 3 is good, they are very comfortable, and the wire is hassle free.

I actually have no intentions of amping the Westone 3 on the go. The Pico is for my work rig. The P51 is a present. I don't believe in carrying all that baggage for portable audiophile goodness. I learned years ago that a portable rig will pale in comparison to a cost equivalent desktop rig or speaker setup. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment if you think otherwise, based on my experience, of course. I'm going for simplicity and convenience. The iphone + Westone 3 does the trick.

All in all, the Westone 3 are easily worth the $300 I paid considering that I'll be using them for what they were designed and suited for. They are a good step up from the UM2. I don't think they are as special as people seem to be hyping them up to be. A lot of it sounds like marketing talk to get sales. You will not be getting full-sized headphone sound from these IEM, but it's almost there. The sound stage is still 2D like (not so much depth, but a decent amount of width). Plus, the veil flaw... The ESW10 on the other hand, for being a portable phone, gives you full sized headphone sound that can compete with the main stream full sized $300-600 phones. They also scale very well unlike the Westone 3. As I've said in the beginning, these are my initial impressions. 5 hours isn't a lot of time.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #52 of 88
Just for a heads up, I just posted a...post...in the huge Westone 3 thread that I am sure will cause a major uprising. Not bragging about it, I'm just saying that it's something you should keep an eye on, because this may be the deal breaker for many people.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #54 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very proud of you. Now run as far as you can and hide in a bunker! I'll let you know when it's safe to come out

Ahahaha, and by "a bunker" you mean "my basement."
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #55 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahahaha, and by "a bunker" you mean "my basement."
tongue.gif

kirosia's basement - you'll see random people in there, but they're hiding there too!

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rank the ESW10JPN a few steps above the Westone 3 in terms of sound quality and preference.

Thanks a lot! Could you please be more specific about in which areas ESW10JPN will outperform W3? What about ESW9? I'm deciding now between ESW9 and W3. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Veiled - Yes, this is the flaw.

The Westone 3 are not what I would called detailed in terms of clarity. They are detailed in terms of overall presentation. You'll be able to outline the music pretty good, but you can't really "see" into it. Maybe this is just something that IEM can't do.

this is exactly what i was trying to explain with my posts..

thanks for the proper explanation

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 88
No, I believe you said they sounded like crappy $20 ear buds, to be exact. This post is a fair and balanced review, and the poster actually says he likes the W3s (but doesn't care much for IEMs in general).

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I believe you said they sounded like crappy $20 ear buds, to be exact.

no, 10€ to be exact

equivalent to 13,3$ with current rate

get your facts straight please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back